US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

She really is.

Trump is a cult leader. Through and through. Anyone that cant see that is drunk on the koolaid. 

Has there ever been a candidate for President that flogged crap like he does? Trump shoes. Trump coins. Trump watches. His followers truly are morans. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

She really is.

Trump is a cult leader. Through and through. Anyone that cant see that is drunk on the koolaid. 

Don't count your chickens before they hatch.  We all bought into the reporting about Hillary.  We all thought, and were told ad nauseum, that there was no way she could lose.

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Don't count your chickens before they hatch.  We all bought into the reporting about Hillary.  We all thought, and were told ad nauseum, that there was no way she could lose.

Cute Hillary. Clearly the US voters can’t be fooled twice? 

47 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

You were smart to immediatley think of Putin. Yuval Noah Harari called them 'editors' ( Lenin, Mussolini were both editors in early jobs)

We have a current influential editor show up in a tweet on the last page. Elon.

A couple posters have already bit down hard, as many of the right wing media has 'level of deception is jawdropping' ...from the fox clip something like '..you cant hate yourself and familly so much that youre putting your families in danger'

Its just sad shit.

'Fear is the product they push...' - Zack De La Rocha

The inlaw of mine was screaming at other family members recently because he believes the vaccine will create mutations in their babies. It was bizarre. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I'm not counting anything. I have not predicted anything. 

Shes the clear choice, but we will see...

• Cheers 1
  • chaos 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Cute Hillary. Clearly the US voters can’t be fooled twice? 

Have you seen our school testing scores?  You could fool average Gen Z'ers and Gen Alphas with a shiny object.

As for Hillary, the Clintons aren't exactly renowned for their integrity.  After the way that she dropped the ball on health care in the 90's, I had little trust in her abilities.

I say that as a person who still thinks Bill was probably the best overall president in my lifetime.  It would be between him or his one-term predecessor.

• Vintage 1

51 minutes ago, Cranston said:

Because the legislation wouldn't close the border unless there were 5000, yes 5000! encounters a day with illegals at the border. That is 5000 too many obviously. That is like cementing in the current catastrophe. Totally unacceptable to anyone who cares about their country.

Such a bogus take on the bill. Just by numbers alone the emergency order would have been activated almost on day one.

He’s wrong about the 5,000 encounters threshold. Although that is the threshold for mandatory activation of the emergency authority, the bill also would have extended “discretionary activation” to the Homeland Security secretary once there is an average of 4,000 or more encounters over seven consecutive days. Customs and Border Protection provides only monthly data, and looking at data during the Trump administration the number of encounters would have reached that threshold in May 2019, when encountersaveraged 4,286 per day.

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

He just posted copies of official counts from ICE.  If you don't like him personally, that doesn't invalidate the numbers from ICE that he reported on.  We're bringing in and letting go murderers and rapists at the behest of the executive branch of our government.

I'd have posted from a left leaning liberal source, but they're ignoring the story and hoping that it goes away.

*edit* Just realized that I may have misinterpreted your post.  If so, my apologies for any confusion.

Wouldn’t the bipartisan border bill have improved ICE’s ability to lower those numbers significantly?

The $118 billion bill, called the Emergency National Security Supplemental Appropriations Act, sought significant changes in border policy. It includedmoney to build more border barriers, to greatly expand detention facilities, and to hire more Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Border Patrol agents, asylum officers and immigration judges to reduce the years-long backlog in cases to determine asylum eligibility. It sought to expedite the asylum process, essentially ending — in most cases — the so-called “catch and release” policy whereby migrants are released into the U.S. pending asylum hearings. And it would have increased the standard of evidence needed to win asylum status.

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

The inlaw of mine was screaming at other family members recently because he believes the vaccine will create mutations in their babies. It was bizarre. 

The funny thing about that statement is that the vaccine can't tweak your DNA in any way, but a virus absolutely can.  That's why it's incredibly difficult to cure viruses like HIV. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Saskatchewan farmer? 

Nope BC boy. My poor nephew was freaked out.

These people convince themselves of all kinds of crap and seem to be getting frustrated that others aren't coming with them. I just wonder when it's going to get really violent.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Have you seen our school testing scores?  You could fool average Gen Z'ers and Gen Alphas with a shiny object.

As for Hillary, the Clintons aren't exactly renowned for their integrity.  After the way that she dropped the ball on health care in the 90's, I had little trust in her abilities.

I say that as a person who still thinks Bill was probably the best overall president in my lifetime.  It would be between him or his one-term predecessor.

Hillary is so damned cute though. She should have won just for shear cuteness. She’s stuffy cute. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The funny thing about that statement is that the vaccine can't tweak your DNA in any way, but a virus absolutely can.  That's why it's incredibly difficult to cure viruses like HIV. 

Yea sense making isn't high on the agenda. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

These people convince themselves of all kinds of crap and seem to be getting frustrated that others aren't coming with them. I just wonder when it's going to get really violent.

Is it possible to reason with a moran? Sadly there are so many morans now it’s hard to ignore them. 

Just now, Alflives said:

Is it possible to reason with a moran? Sadly there are so many morans now it’s hard to ignore them. 

Nope. I think he may have killed the relationship, he was telling the parents how bad they were etc. it was quite the show.

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Wouldn’t the bipartisan border bill have improved ICE’s ability to lower those numbers significantly?

The $118 billion bill, called the Emergency National Security Supplemental Appropriations Act, sought significant changes in border policy. It includedmoney to build more border barriers, to greatly expand detention facilities, and to hire more Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Border Patrol agents, asylum officers and immigration judges to reduce the years-long backlog in cases to determine asylum eligibility. It sought to expedite the asylum process, essentially ending — in most cases — the so-called “catch and release” policy whereby migrants are released into the U.S. pending asylum hearings. And it would have increased the standard of evidence needed to win asylum status.

It would have helped catch some that are being let in, but it's the policy that is allowing this to happen in the first place.  Pelosi went on Bill Maher a week or so ago and admitted that she wants to make all of the illegals, citizens.

It's the policy that needs to be changed, not just the way that we process and handle the illegal crossers.

That said, Trump is an asshole for killing that bill for his advantage if even one rape or murder could have been stopped before it happened.  That makes him every bit as bad as the people who are allowing this to happen for their political gain.

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Nope. I think he may have killed the relationship, he was telling the parents how bad they were etc. it was quite the show.

It’s sad really that the King of the morans has so much influence over his people. He spouts such stupidity around Covid, like huffing bleach and chasing that with horsey paste as a cure all. And his followers believe him. 

Just now, Alflives said:

It’s sad really that the King of the morans has so much influence over his people. He spouts such stupidity around Covid, like huffing bleach and chasing that with horsey paste as a cure all. And his followers believe him. 

I do think it hits the same part of the brain that the super religious types experience. You can't reason with that.

• ThereItIs 1

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

We like to point fingers at Sask and Alta but BC Conservatives are looking to close the gap.

IMG_1818.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • ThereItIs 1

41 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

We like to point fingers at Sask and Alta but BC Conservatives are looking to close the gap.

IMG_1818.jpeg

Not sure about a blow dryer, but it's well-known fact that high temperatures will kill a coronavirus...

What Temperature Kills Coronavirus (COVID-19)? (healthline.com)

A study published in The Lancet Microbe looked at how temperature affected high amounts of SARS-CoV-2 in laboratory media. The researchers found that the virus was killed after 5 minutes at 70°C (158°F).

One study in Applied Physics Letters used mathematical modeling to predict the effect of different temperatures on SARS-CoV-2. The model estimated that the virus would be killed after an average of 2.5 minutes at 70°C (158°F).

A study in Emerging Infectious Diseases assessed different ways to decontaminate N95 respirators. The researchers found that temperatures of 70°C (158°F) killed the new coronavirus on N95 respirators after about 1 hour.

EDIT:  A blow dryer can technically get up to 197 degrees Fahrenheit.  However, it's probably not recommended to stick it up your nose at that temperature...

How Hot Does A Blow Dryer Actually Get? (thelist.com)

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Not sure about a blow dryer, but it's well-known fact that high temperatures will kill a coronavirus...

What Temperature Kills Coronavirus (COVID-19)? (healthline.com)

A study published in The Lancet Microbe looked at how temperature affected high amounts of SARS-CoV-2 in laboratory media. The researchers found that the virus was killed after 5 minutes at 70°C (158°F).

One study in Applied Physics Letters used mathematical modeling to predict the effect of different temperatures on SARS-CoV-2. The model estimated that the virus would be killed after an average of 2.5 minutes at 70°C (158°F).

A study in Emerging Infectious Diseases assessed different ways to decontaminate N95 respirators. The researchers found that temperatures of 70°C (158°F) killed the new coronavirus on N95 respirators after about 1 hour.

There are many things that can be done in a pretri dish that can't be accomplished elsewhere.   Bleach or ultra violet light would also work under the right conditions.

Are you somehow defending this blow dryer nonsense?

• Thanks 2

Just now, Satchmo said:

There are many things that can be done in a pretri dish that can't be accomplished elsewhere.   Bleach or ultra violet light would also work under the right conditions.

Are you somehow defending this blow dryer nonsense?

No, I said I wasn't sure about a blow dryer, but high heat does kill a coronavirus, which seemed to be the essence of the article.  That article was using temperatures at 133 degrees Fahrenheit.  According to the research, 133 degrees Fahrenheit would kill a coronavirus within 20 minutes...