US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

8 hours ago, Bob Long said:

It's possible that a some of the numbers are falsely accused people fleeing whatever shit government they were under.

Id actually like to know more about the screening process and why ice thinks it's ok to release these folks. Why don't they view them as risky? Or does ice have to let them go? Is it a capacity issue? I need more information.

This is why Tweets from right wing provocateurs should always be taken with a grain of salt, even if there might be a kernel of truth to the claim. Shellenberger makes it sound like these guys all showed up on Biden's watch and were not screened before being released into the US, while their cases were being processed....

I thought the numbers sounded questionable, so I tried to find something to corroborate the claim....and I found this:

https://www.nbcnews.com/investigations/13000-immigrants-convicted-homicide-living-freely-us-ice-data-rcna173125

More than 13,000 immigrants convicted of homicide — either in the United States or abroad — are living outside of Immigration and Customs Enforcement detention, according to data ICE provided to Congress earlier this week.

The immigrants are part of ICE’s “non-detained” docket, meaning the agency has some information on the immigrants and they have pending immigration cases in the U.S., but they are not currently in detention either because they are not prioritized for detention, they are serving time in a jail or prison for their crimes, or because ICE cannot find them, three law enforcement officials said.

Two of the officials said it is not known how many are incarcerated because ICE is not always privy to that data from state and local law enforcement agencies.

Acting ICE Director P.J. Lechleitner sent the data, collected as of July 21, as part of a request sent in March from Republican Rep. Tony Gonzales of Texas.

A spokesman for the Department of Homeland Security said the data sent to Gonzales is being misinterpreted, and goes back four decades, long before the Biden administration.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Gnarcore said:

Well based on the stats they would be an overall net improvement over your current citizens...  

If you add 1 litre of sewage to 9 litres of clean water, you'll still end up with 10 litres of sewage.

No reason to muddy the waters more than they already are.  I'd love to be able to deport our criminals too, but there are no more Australia's left undiscovered.

28 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

If you add 1 litre of sewage to 9 litres of clean water, you'll still end up with 10 litres of sewage.

No reason to muddy the waters more than they already are.  I'd love to be able to deport our criminals too, but there are no more Australia's left undiscovered.

Well just send them to Australia...fuck that place. 

@Ilunga

Edited by Gnarcore
  • Haha 1

On 9/27/2024 at 11:39 AM, Jaimito said:

Who buys this shit?  I thought the economy was bad...

If you can afford to spend 100k on a watch and instead of buying Philip Patek, Rolex etc. you buy a watch that Trump is selling. You are dumber than a box of rocks. You might as well take that money and light it on fire.

Edited by CBH1926

4 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

If you can afford to spend 100k on a watch and instead of buying Philip Patek, Rolex etc. you buy a watch that Trump is selling. You are dumber than a box of rocks. You might as well take that money and light it on fire.

Any info on who makes em? I would bet the same folks who make Folex

Edited by Gnarcore

39 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Rather be founded by " criminals " than puritans and Quakers. 

And you do know that many of the " criminals " that were  sent to Aus back then, were " sentenced " to Australia for stealing a loaf of bread, or some other bullshit " crime ".

The crime of being poor. 

@Gnarcore 

After years of being ranked the number 1 city in the world to live, we have " slipped "  to 4th.

Me, I live right on the edge of Melbourne on a ten acre farm, world class MTB trails 5 minutes away.

World class enduro motorcycle trails 30 minutes away.

Less than an hour drive on any evening and I can be watching a punk rock gigs in Melbourne.

Just over an hour to the icehouse to watch hockey and go skating.

All the benifits/culture of a city of over 5 million people and I live in paradise.

https://www.timeout.com/melbourne/news/melbourne-has-fallen-in-the-official-ranking-of-the-worlds-most-liveable-cities-for-2024-070124

Surfing and babes in bikinis just over an hour away.

Skiing, 2 and half hours  to Mt. Buller.

As I have stated for over 40 years, just another day in paradise.

2 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

And you do know that many of the " criminals " that were  sent to Aus back then, were " sentenced " to Australia for stealing a loaf of bread, or some other bullshit " crime ".

The crime of being poor. 

@Gnarcore 

After years of being ranked the number 1 city in the world to live, we have " slipped "  to 4th.

Me, I live right on the edge of Melbourne on a ten acre farm, world class MTB trails 5 minutes away.

Less than an hour drive on any evening and I can be watching a punk rock gigs in Melbourne.

All the benifits/culture of a city of over 5 million people and I live in paradise.

https://www.timeout.com/melbourne/news/melbourne-has-fallen-in-the-official-ranking-of-the-worlds-most-liveable-cities-for-2024-070124

You must be aware that criminals were sent there, Canada, the US and every other colony pretty much too eh? The rest just didn't celebrate it on their coins. A buddy did a project on his family traced back to the horse thief and prostitute deported from the UK who started it all for his branch on the tree. 

Edited by Gnarcore
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Gnarcore said:

Any info on who makes em? I would be the same folks who make Folex

China most likely, Trump is the type of guy that would sell you shit that fell off the truck.

Instead of your watch being Parmigiani Fleurier, it would be called Chicken Parm.

7 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

You must be aware that criminals were sent there, Canada, the US and every other colony pretty much too eh? The rest just didn't celebrate it on their coins. A buddy did a project on his family traced back to the horse thief and prostitute deported from the UK who started it all for his branch on the tree. 

12 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

The crime of being poor. 

@Gnarcore 

Everything that I know about Australia, I have learned from Peter Weir movies, Mad Max and Crocodile Dundee series. Hot as fuck, poisonous animals, people fighting to death for gasoline, schoolgirls disappearing at picnics, strange weather phenomena etc. 

Edited by CBH1926
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Gnarcore said:

You must be aware that criminals were sent there, Canada, the US and every other colony pretty much too eh? The rest just didn't celebrate it on their coins. A buddy did a project on his family traced back to the hose thief and prostitute deported from the UK who started it all for his branch on the tree. 

While we do have religious people here in Aus, they had no hand in founding our country, unlike the US. And they don't have any sway over the " politics " of our country, again unlike the US. 

As for celebrating criminals on our coins, the only criminals I am aware of that have been on our coins are on yours to.

QE2 and Charlie.

9 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

The crime of being poor. 

@Gnarcore 

Ruh Roh.  I was just teasing knowing that you read these posts.  No offense was meant my friend.  😉

And yes.  I know the criminals were basically just poor people that they wanted to get rid of in an attempt to keep their cities "clean".

The US screws over it's own poor and homeless plenty.  If they could be relocated from the US, I have zero doubt both parties here would just repeat the process with our homeless population.  Ship them out and dump them off.  It's a sad state of affairs.

• Huggy Bear 1

13 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

The 13 colonies were a popular place to dump criminals and people who the king banished because they wanted labour to work the lands that the crown and other royals owned at the time.  Get the economy going and then tax the crap out of the colonies.  The Stamp Tax was more or less the major tipping point that caused the American Revolution and lost Britain the colonies.

• ThereItIs 1

14 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

While we do have religious people here in Aus, they had no hand in founding our country, unlike the US. And they don't have any sway over the " politics " of our country, again unlike the US. 

As for celebrating criminals on our coins, the only criminals I am aware of that have been on our coins are on yours to.

QE2 and Charlie.

You had manacles on your coins at one point give a nod to the past. This was good while back. Recall them from my coin collecting days. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Everything that I know about Australia, I have learned from Peter Weir movies, Mad Max and Crocodile Dundee series. Hot as fuck, poisonous animals, people fighting to death for gasoline, schoolgirls disappearing at picnics, strange weather phenomena etc. 

Mad Max (Mel Gibson) is a seppo (Yank). 

He was actually born in the US.

I live in the southern cool temperate zone.

I have travelled the world and where I live is truly paradise.

We do get hot summers, cold winters and everything in-between.

Melbourne is known for having four seasons weather on any given day.

I came from an orphanage that was in a " shitty " suburb in Melbourne back in the day, and ended up with the two best people I have ever known, living in paradise. 

I know the movies you are referencing.

Peter Weir directed picnic at hanging rock, the girls you are talking about.

It seriously is a strange place.

George Miller directed and produced the Mad Max franchise.

Hogan and his buddy John " strop " cornell wrote the dundee movies.

This is Hogan and " strop " from his television show before the movies.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Ruh Roh.  I was just teasing knowing that you read these posts.  No offense was meant my friend.  😉

And yes.  I know the criminals were basically just poor people that they wanted to get rid of in an attempt to keep their cities "clean".

The US screws over it's own poor and homeless plenty.  If they could be relocated from the US, I have zero doubt both parties here would just repeat the process with our homeless population.  Ship them out and dump them off.  It's a sad state of affairs.

I know brother, my reply is tongue in cheek.

When I was taught the truth about the " convicts " that were sent to Aus it just illustrated what every empire does, fucks over their most vulnerable citizens.

• Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

You had manacles on your coins at one point give a nod to the past. This was good while back. Recall them from my coin collecting days. 

Do you know what coins they were ? 

My favourite Australian coin has Edward " weary " Dunlop on it.

He is one of the few " war heroes " I really admire.

He was a doctor that was sent to the Changi prison camp along with hundreds of Aussie soldiers uring WW2.

The Aussies who survived looked just like holocaust survivors.