US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

6 minutes ago, 24K said:

All I have to say is Walz may have said somethings that is not 100% correct but none of it is of any great importance to anything that matters.

He's a VP candidate.  Short of being Palin-style airheaded, which few people are, very little of what he says matters. 

That's why I said this will only give Trump a temporary bump in momentum.  The only damage it could cause would be people who were holding Vance against Trump in regards to their vote.

Edited by Sabrefan1
Grammar

Walz did have his moments.

But I agree that Walz disappointed at times, especially on his Chinese answer.

While JD did something that has eluded him.  Humanizing himself to the public.

Not that this debate is moving the needle.

It was clear that Tim Walz was nervous going in.  Clearly a debate format is not his strength. I had thought advantage: Walz coming into this debate. But it turns out that Vance's formal, rapid fire soundbite, style...flavoured with a touch of cordiality, suited the format better. He obviously prepared greatly for this, unlike his boss.

I can see now that Kamala, with her background, is much better at debating, than speechifying on her campaign stage.  (Where she mostly just repeats campaign memorized messaging) Its the opposite for Walz. He's great off the cuff, with no clock timing him

I wonder if the biovating orange menace will be compelled to now say yes to a second debate after, probably, a hail storm of praise for Vance's performance by more outlets than praised his last debate performance.  I could see his envy and ego getting the best of him if he hears too much about how Vance did so much better than Trump did. 

To that I say, bring it on!  She'll turn him over and roast the other side.

Jesus that school shooter comment was not good at all.

I watched the first 20 mis & Vance mopped the floor with him imo. Vance came across as prepared while Walz felt like he was babbling a bit & out of his element.

Only seen clips of what transpired after & to be fair maybe Walz found his footing after a slow start but it seems like even left wing media pundits are giving JD the nod.

That school shooter comment & also the rambling un-smooth dodge of the Tiennamen question were rough. Why would Walz even lie about that in the first place? Very odd, seems like little to gain even in the best case.

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Aren't they both the same age?

Alf has told us his age in the past, but I don't remember it anymore.  I rarely judge someone I'm talking to on the internet by how old they are.

If they're very young, I stop talking.  If they're old, I hope to learn something.  If they're Alf, I mostly just get a chuckle.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

6 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I agree that the Tiennamen question was handled badly.  Don't over explain it, just say you mispoke, apologize. move on.

But it says a lot about the Trump cult in how this faux pas is one incident....a lie in 2014 about where you were situated on the planet 35 years ago

vs

10's of thousands of lies, continuing daily.  including over 30,000 documented misleading statements or lies during his Presidency. 

Scary how human beings behave at  times. Elevating one man to god like status. It would be different if he'd at least not been an adjudicated rapist, business fraudster, fake university fraudster, charity fraudster, black tenant denying racist, Russian bank backed, nation security risk top secret document hoarder, Q anon inspired, weak, easy to manipulate, whiny spoiled man-baby.

Some of the stuff Walz has lied about.. I've never had the best feeling about the guy tbh, it's just unnecessarily odd alot of it. Prob that's why he trys to lean into the football coach dad thing as much as he can. 

And Trump TDS definitely runs both ways, I agree with you there.

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Some of the stuff Walz has lied about.. I've never had the best feeling about the guy tbh, it's just unnecessarily odd alot of it. Prob that's why he trys to lean into the football coach dad thing as much as he can. 

ABC even just put up an article about his lies about details of his military service as well as his continuing odd lies about China. 

That basically explains why he dodged directly answering the question when asked, because no matter what he comes up with, he's going to end up contradicting a past lie that he made trying to get out from under the original lie.

I get why he'd try to lie about his military record, even though it's not smart to do, but lying about something so stupid as a communist crackdown from over 30 years ago is pretty silly.  There's almost nothing to be gained and there's plenty to lose.

Even though Trump telling the truth on anything is the exception and certainly not the rule, Walz is less effective when he attacks Trump's lies since he has some well known whoppers of his own.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Like I said previously, Walz is an ordinary guy in politics that is genuine with his warts instead of a polished career politician that you would expect at this level. The guy is just relatable instead of swarmy like Vance. 

Walz is a lot like Buden to be honest and really the tiananmen and weapons in war statements really doesn't amount to much in the grand scheme of things. 

Not hard to misremembering where you are by a month or two from things that happened 3 decades ago especially when he was not even in the city where it happened afterwards. Not hard to confuse it either as the protest would have reverberated longer in Hong Kong at the time as it was still a British colony with full free speech.

28 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

ABC even just put up an article about his lies about details of his military service as well as his continuing odd lies about China. 

That basically explains why he dodged directly answering the question when asked, because no matter what he comes up with, he's going to end up contradicting a past lie that he made trying to get out from under the original lie.

I get why he'd try to lie about his military record, even though it's not smart to do, but lying about something so stupid as a communist crackdown from over 30 years ago is pretty silly.  There's almost nothing to be gained and there's plenty to lose.

Even though Trump telling the truth on anything is the exception and certainly not the rule, Walz is less effective when he attacks Trump's lies since he has some well known whoppers of his own.

Feels like both instance is people making a mountain out of a mole hill cause they really got nothing else on the guy.

The whole lying on military record hinges on using the wrong preposition of 'in' instead of 'of' in an off the cuff remark. All the ranks stuff and not mobilizing attacks had already been debunked. That is pretty weak imo. 

For 6/4, as I explained above, nitnhard to misremember dates from 3 decades ago especially when the political environment in HK where fits with what happened in tiananmen square even if it was 2 month later due to HK being a British colony at the time with full free speech protection. 

1 hour ago, 24K said:

Feels like both instance is people making a mountain out of a mole hill cause they really got nothing else on the guy.

The whole lying on military record hinges on using the wrong preposition of 'in' instead of 'of' in an off the cuff remark. All the ranks stuff and not mobilizing attacks had already been debunked. That is pretty weak imo. 

For 6/4, as I explained above, nitnhard to misremember dates from 3 decades ago especially when the political environment in HK where fits with what happened in tiananmen square even if it was 2 month later due to HK being a British colony at the time with full free speech protection. 

I'm not interested in defending or blasting him.  I neither like nor dislike him.  I just don't trust him.  I already know who I'm voting for so it doesn't matter to me what he says.  My vote is going to a Harvard Med graduate MD who thought there were over 600 people in the House of Representatives.  I'm fairly sure Walz knows there's only 435 being a teacher and all.

A Vice President is the US version of a crown prince's brother.   They're a spare just in case something bad happens.  Otherwise they're fairly useless other than when a president needs a stand-in for a foreign funeral or something that he/she has no interest in doing.  That's why Republicans only started saying Biden-Harris administration after Harris replaced Biden in the running for president.  Until she became of consequence, she was an afterthought as far as they were concerned.  Nearly all VPs are.

• Cheers 2

DId JD mention his family in every question?

People raggin on Walz are haters. He was fine. He looked like a good dude trying to talk with a car salesman.

What JD did well was the nice-guy approach. Its a deviation of what we usually see from the Trump camp. Normally, they are seething hate slingers.