US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

21 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Bollocks.

Lest we forget:

$1.4B in funds over two years. Funds authorized by Congress to deal with the migrant crisis.

18 Republicans in the Senate and 82 in the House voted against a bill to approve  $20B for FEMA’s disaster relief fund the day before the hurricane hit.

In 2017 Trump withheld 99% of aid to North Carolina after Hurricane Mathew because the Governor was a Democrat.

38 minutes ago, bolt said:

Kamala Harris and Joe Biden made America worse. I wonder if they'll be tried for treason if Trump gets in. I'm sure there is a State that can issue the charges similar like the state of New York going after Trump.

I guess by that metric, Trump should be charged with Treason as well, since it's a fact that he told Republicans not to pass the bipartisan Border Bill, right?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, bolt said:

GZC7V28W4AA488_.jpeg

PSA: "Page Six" of the NY Post bills itself as a "gossip" site. In fact they have a whole separate website called PageSix.com, dedicated to celebrity news and gossip.

This headline is likely hiding behind the shield of "somebody said this".....which means it could be any of the literal thousands of people willing to lie for Donald Trump.

I'd say you're better than this, but you're really not.

• Cheers 1

US September non-farm payrolls +254K vs +140K expected

• September 2024 US employment data from the non-farm payroll's report
  • Two-month net revision: +72K vs -86K prior
  • Unemployment rate: 4.1% vs 4.2% prior
  • Unrounded unemployment rate: 4.0510% vs 4.220% prior
  • Participation rate: 62.7% vs 62.7% prior
  • Private payrolls +223K vs 118K prior
  • Prior private payrolls +118K revised to +114K
  • U6 underemployment rate: 7.7% vs 7.9% prior
  • Average hourly earnings: +0.4% vs +0.3% m/m expected
  • Prior avg hourly earnings: +0.4% (revised to +0.5%)
  • Average hourly earnings: 4.0% vs +3.8% y/y expected
  • Average weekly hours: 34.2 vs 34.3 prior
  • Change in manufacturing payrolls: -7K vs -24K prior
  • Household survey: +430K vs +168K prior
  • Government jobs: +31K vs +24K prior
  • Full time: +631K vs -438K prior
  • Part time: -201K vs +527K prior
  • Full report

Prior to the data, the market was pricing in a 32% of the Fed lowering rates by 50 basis points at the November 7 meeting.

The unemployment rate very nearly fell to 4.0% and this is the strongest headline reading since March. I think you can bury the idea of 50 basis points on this, even if the October report is soft.

Absolutely nothing not to like about this report. The continued wage growth is very impressive.

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, bolt said:

Kamala Harris and Joe Biden made America worse. I wonder if they'll be tried for treason if Trump gets in. I'm sure there is a State that can issue the charges similar like the state of New York going after Trump.

So this is treason?

But actually trying to subvert democracy by restricting voter access committing to an insurrection and demanding electors and his party and followers place one in power even after losing an election in your eyes is ok.

Fascinating but of fuckery and hurdles here

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

As long as we're on the topic of disaster relief, let's get some facts straight:

Donald Trump and his enablers are lying about the Biden Administration response to Hurricane Helene. There are multiple quotes from state representatives refuting that narrative.....

OTOH, the Trump administration based it's disaster response on how the state affected voted in the 2106 election:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/disaster-relief-efforts-came-to-a-halt-solely-because-of-trump-s-inaction-ex-official/ar-AA1rHIem?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=aa47aec606fc4d61e96a768be7b0e765&ei=77

Olivia Troye, a former homeland security adviser in the Trump White House, shed new light this week on former President Donald Trump's highly politicized approach to disaster relief.

In an interview with The New Republic's Greg Sargent, Troye explained how difficult it could be to try to get help out to Americans suffering from the impact of natural disasters because Trump would often sit on emergency declarations for days.

"I have a lot of memories of working in the Trump White House where there are numerous situations where the government apparatus that does the whole disaster relief declaration process would come to a halt because the disaster declaration that needed to be signed by the president was sitting on Donald Trump’s desk," she explained. "It was frustrating, as you can imagine, because we as national security officials serve for the greater good of the country."

Troye then explained how her former boss, Vice President Mike Pence, had to push to get Trump to show some urgency in signing the declaration.

"I can think of a time when even Mike Pence was flying out. I believe he was flying to California and he called me," she said. "They called me from Air Force Two and said, 'Where is the disaster declaration? We still haven’t seen it.' And I said, 'Well, sir, it’s sitting on the president’s desk, I can follow up on it.' And he said, 'Please do that.' I remember walking over to the West Wing and sitting outside the Oval Office saying the vice president would like to know what the status is on the disaster declaration, he would really like to get this moved along, we’ve been sitting on it for three days."

Troye's revelations follow bombshell claims made earlier this week by Mark Harvey, Trump’s one-time senior director for resilience policy on the National Security Council staff, about the former president being reluctant to help out residents of California because the state had strongly voted against him in the 2016 election.

In one instance, Harvey said he finally convinced Trump to authorize disaster relief to the state one time by pulling up voting results showing a significant concentration of Republican voters in Orange County.

The amount of lies coming out of MAGA world over Hurricane Helene is insane and easily disproved. 

The amount surged this morning to which I guess is Trump campaign and allies trying to inundated the news cycle to get away from Smith's court filings. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

IMG_3979.thumb.jpeg.3fa845cfdf06df5eb0408f2a1e004ce6.jpeg

US dollar vs Japanese Yen. That’s about +630 pips in 1 week. That would be the largest weekly gain in decades. 

It appears the market has greatly underestimated the strength of the US economy. The Yen is often used as a proxy for interest rates. I think an argument can be made that the Fed’s 50 bps cut at their last meeting was overdone and they risk overstimulating an economy that does not need it. The economy is literally cooking.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

IMG_3979.thumb.jpeg.3fa845cfdf06df5eb0408f2a1e004ce6.jpeg

US dollar vs Japanese Yen. That’s about +630 pips in 1 week. That would be the largest weekly gain in decades. 

It appears the market has greatly underestimated the strength of the US economy. The Yen is often used as a proxy for interest rates. I think an argument can be made that the Fed’s 50 bps cut at their last meeting was overdone and they risk overstimulating an economy that does not need it. 

Hmm, curious why yen is considered a proxy for interest rate. Not doubting you, just want to know. 

2 minutes ago, 24K said:

The amount of lies coming out of MAGA world over Hurricane Helene is insane and easily disproved. 

The amount surged this morning to which I guess is Trump campaign and allies trying to inundated the news cycle to get away from Smith's court filings. 

trump has a grab bag of self made lies and issues to do that ,  I think your statement is absolutely correct .

Its the only game he knows ..  

He really should be disqualified already for being convicted of crimes,  and waiting only for sentencing.

That alone should supersede any attempt to run for president of the USA .

he is a criminal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

17 minutes ago, 24K said:

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, 24K said:

Hmm, curious why yen is considered a proxy for interest rate. Not doubting you, just want to know. 

Mainly purposes of liquidity and the carry trade. Which is a trade based off the interest rate differentials between the two currencies. Japanese rates are near zero (have even been negative for large intervals) and have been for decades. An unexpected move in rates can cause trillions of dollars to be off side. So things like unexpectedly strong or weak economic data tends to send people scurrying for cover i.e. closing or hedging their positions. Also applies to government bonds which are a massive market.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

If I could be bothered to look for it which I can't I'd show you a clip of Eric Trump from November 2020 declaring that the Trump campaign was "claiming Pennsylvania" in the days following the election. Like that's even a thing.

It was all the brainchild of Roger Stone. 

• Cheers 1