US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

5 minutes ago, soggy said:

muslims wont get a choice between good and bad

theyre going to get a choice between bad and bad

my suspicion is that what they just saw from biden and democrats on israelpalestine will be far less forgiveable than trumps rhetoric i think, but hey, who knows. at least itll be an interesting election

What did they just see?

• Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, soggy said:

yea im really curious to see what polling looks like across different groups as we get closer to the election

probably going to be kinda shocking

i really do think the democrats have to do better than biden and harris though, i have a hard time seeing either of them winning

where is the next obama?

I don’t think Biden nor Harris will be an issue as incumbents. 

The alternative is going to be more off putting for the majority of voters. 

Even if that majority is 50 plus one. 

At the end of the day. Biden and Harris will be two-termers. 

The rest is media and pundit hand-wringing and attention seeking. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Time will tell if he goes to prison or not.  As for the timing of those cases, they were all brought at the same exact time for political purposes.

I still maintain though that his most dangerous case is in Georgia.  That is the one that I think he flat out broke both federal and state law. 

If Trump becomes president again, he can retroactively pardon himself for any and all federal charges and/or convictions, but he can't do squat about state convictions.  Those pardons are at the pleasure of Georgia's governor, not the US president or even the US Congress.

Exact same time?

From what I can tell, NY was in April, Documents in June and Jan 6th in August. Georgia did come just two weeks later, but I see no evidence of coordination between Smith and Willis......unless you count the kind of "evidence" you see on Faux News.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

Exact same time?

From what I can tell, NY was in April, Documents in June and Jan 6th in August. Georgia did come just two weeks later, but I see no evidence of coordination between Smith and Willis......unless you count the kind of "evidence" you see on Faux News.....

I didn't mean the same day or even month.  For multiple state court systems to balance hearing schedules to the same month, let alone day, would take a minor miracle in a US state court system(s).

I'm talking about dragging out the 3 state pre-trial stuff at the exact same time in an attempt to keep Trump too occupied to focus on his presidential run.

He had NY, GA, and MN taking up his resources, and time at the exact time he would be running for the Republican nomination.  The guy has enough trouble just getting lawyers in just one state as it is because he doesn't want to pay them and they know it.

NY for sure scheduled it that way.  Letitia James flat out said that it is her mission as AG to stop Trump.  In NY, the Attorney Generals have an upper hand in becoming a governor.  It's one of the reasons why NY AG's are so gung-ho with consumer protection.  It's a great way to butter up voters.  Trump's scalp on her belt would even likely enable her to primary Kathy Hochul.

28 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I don't understand why christian fundamentalists think they are actually different than hardline muslims or why hardline muslims think they are different than christian fundamentalists

pretty spot on - if you take a traditional person with fairly strict adherence to one, they are remarkably similar to the other

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I didn't mean the same day or even month.  For multiple state court systems to balance hearing schedules to the same month, let alone day, would take a minor miracle in a US state court system(s).

I'm talking about dragging out the 3 state pre-trial stuff at the exact same time in an attempt to keep Trump too occupied to focus on his presidential run.

He had NY, GA, and MN taking up his resources, and time at the exact time he would be running for the Republican nomination.  The guy has enough trouble just getting lawyers in just one state as it is because he doesn't want to pay them and they know it.

NY for sure scheduled it that way.  Letitia James flat out said that it is her mission as AG to stop Trump.  In NY, the Attorney Generals have an upper hand in becoming a governor.  It's one of the reasons why NY AG's are so gung-ho with consumer protection.  It's a great way to butter up voters.  Trump's scalp on her belt would even likely enable her to primary Kathy Hochul.

Yeah, some might say it's all some grand conspiracy to keep Trump out of the White House....while others might say that if you break a shit ton of laws, you're probably going to end up facing a shit ton of charges.

I've always been an Occam's Razor kind of guy myself....

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Yeah, some might say it's all some grand conspiracy to keep Trump out of the White House....while others might say that if you break a shit ton of laws, you're probably going to end up facing a shit ton of charges.

I'm more pragmatic about it.  When it comes to US political corruption and cold calculation, the simplest answer is that it's likely they've been planning this out for maximum effect and damage.

Trump's lying about his net worth was demonstrably provable when the courts allowed lawmakers to see his tax returns 2 years ago.  The only bank that would do business with him rolled over on him shortly thereafter and gave up the rest of the goods.  What's going on now, could have easily happened when people were calling for it to happen 2 years ago.

As for Georgia, that could have began the day he left office.  They had the recordings and they could have just as easily leaned on the witnesses then.

Minnesota likewise could have been done 2 years ago.  It would have been arguably an even better time to do it, rather than 2 years later, since the memories and shock of Jan. 6 were still so fresh in people's minds.

Everything these politicians do is calculated.  They will always do what benefits their power the most.  Attempting to slow down and remove the opposing party's main competitor who is polling better than their guy very much benefits them the most.

The new Republican leadership in the House are doing the same thing by subpoenaing Joe Biden's family members.  They will put on a show and ramp everything up and Impeach Joe Biden just before or just after he gets his party's nomination to run in the general election.  Maximum effect for maximum damage.  Same as the Democrats are doing with Trump.

Edited by Sabrefan1
  • Vintage 2

28 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I'm more pragmatic about it.  When it comes to US political corruption and cold calculation, the simplest answer is that it's likely they've been planning this out for maximum effect and damage.

Trump's lying about his net worth was demonstrably provable when the courts allowed lawmakers to see his tax returns 2 years ago.  The only bank that would do business with him rolled over on him shortly thereafter and gave up the rest of the goods.  What's going on now, could have easily happened when people were calling for it to happen 2 years ago.

As for Georgia, that could have began the day he left office.  They had the recordings and they could have just as easily leaned on the witnesses then.

Minnesota likewise could have been done 2 years ago.  It would have been arguably an even better time to do it, rather than 2 years later, since the memories and shock of Jan. 6 were still so fresh in people's minds.

Everything these politicians do is calculated.  They will always do what benefits their power the most.  Attempting to slow down and remove the opposing party's main competitor who is polling better than their guy very much benefits them the most.

The new Republican leadership in the House are doing the same thing by subpoenaing Joe Biden's family members.  They will put on a show and ramp everything up and Impeach Joe Biden just before or just after he gets his party's nomination to run in the general election.  Maximum effect for maximum damage.  Same as the Democrats are doing with Trump.

The only problem with your argument is that it has been Trumps team deliberately delaying so they can make that very claim. 
After all a lawyer can delay things for years. A good lawyer even longer. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

I have always been a, rich people get away with their crimes because of their wealth kind of guy myself.

There has even been a legal precedent set, Affluenza, a successful argument put forth by a defense team in a Texas courtroom, a supposed " condition" 

https://law.marquette.edu/facultyblog/2013/12/affluenza-a-get-out-of-jail-free-card-for-the-wealthy/

How many other articles would you like me to post about wealthy people avoiding justice because of their wealth ?

51 minutes ago, Spur1 said:

The only problem with your argument is that it has been Trumps team deliberately delaying so they can make that very claim. 
After all a lawyer can delay things for years. A good lawyer even longer. 

So you don't think that pre-trial motions were taken into account by the state's attorneys?  Of course they were.  It's one of the reasons why I said that it would take a minor miracle to schedule and/or start multiple trials in the same month, let alone anywhere near the same day.

Trump may have middle of the road attorneys as far as the upper echelon of law practice goes, but they are certainly good enough to try and get as much thrown out as possible before trial begins.

I've been involved in boring regular lawsuits as a client.  Even with the pre-trial motion stuff, Trump's cases were scheduled and moving fast as far as the system goes.  The only 1 of the 3 current trials that could not have been brought shortly after he was out of the White House was the Georgia case, but even that one was slow walked up until they knew roughly when the other trials were to begin.  Then they started cutting deals left and right with the other defendants to testify against Trump.

You all can believe that the Democrats are virtuous, peace loving, law abiding saints, but the truth is that they are every bit as ruthless as the Republicans are when it comes to fattening their own pocketbooks and hanging onto power.  They're just less as*holeish in some of their policies.  Republicans may not corner the market in D-bagginess, but they are usually well in the lead.

Edited by Sabrefan1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

If you say so.

Personally, I don't really buy into the Faux News mantra that Trump's Indictments are politically motivated. I just think he is and always has been a con man whose illegal actions have finally caught up with him.

10 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Any law abiding citizen would think the same. 91 charges, and business fraud gets America where they are now. Chump thinks he's above the law, and your departments of justice are his legal team.

• Like 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

I want that wall. Mr Ramallama, build us that wall.

It would solve much of our gun smuggling problem.

Did you see his interview after the debate?

He's as dorky as they come. Blames Canada for fentanyl. Says he saw so much that it could kill 3 million Americans.

So, he saw about 6 kilos. 

https://www.dea.gov/resources/facts-about-fentanyl

' One kilogram of fentanyl has the potential to kill 500,000 people'

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

How are we going to pay for it? An effective wall eliminates the contra band cigs coming thru Mohawk country. How much will that cost in reperations?

• Haha 1

Just now, bishopshodan said:

Did you see his interview after the debate?

He's as dorky as they come. Blames Canada for fentanyl. Says he saw so much that it could kill 3 million Americans.

So, he saw about 6 kilos. 

https://www.dea.gov/resources/facts-about-fentanyl

' One kilogram of fentanyl has the potential to kill 500,000 people'

He's like if you could take everything wrong with the millenials and create one individual. It's like that star trek episode where there's a black goo creature made from negative emotions, except in his case it's stupidity.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Speaking about guns...

This UFC champ, a pig of a person, a former white supremacist, is running his mouth about us. He is sad he has to fight in T.O.

https://torontosun.com/sports/mma/ufc-champion-strickland-rips-canada

Anyone that knows him, knows that he is a pile of crap. I think he actually knows that about himself, always getting in trouble and he knows that boosts his brand. But why I bring it up is that comment sections show support for him.  Just because he said 'guns and freedom' . It's very sad the way some mouthbreathers will side with pigs if they hear what they want to.