US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

25 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

People have the opinion that trump was a good president.

Reagans administration was more corrupt than trumps.

Admittedly he, Reagan served two terms. 

2 years into his presidency there was a severe recession, unemployment peaked at 11 percent, the highest since the great depression.

He made severe cuts to Medicaid, school education, food programs, low income housing. 

The trade deficit exploded in the first year of his presidency from 25 billion to 111 billion.

His massive increases in military spending led to the largest deficits in American history. 

He triple the national debt to 2.5 trillion back in 1988.

His administration, and congress gutted regulations governing the savings and loans industry which led to many of those institutions fucking shit up and costing the American taxpayer 500 billion in bailouts. 

I could go on and on.

This guy wasn't even a useful idiot.

He was just an idiot.

I'd also add on the disastrous War on Drugs and the repeal of the Fair News Doctrine.  Reagan was an absolute piece of shit and his administration is the root cause of many problems plaguing not only the USA, but the whole world.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 2

18 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

This guy wasn't even a useful idiot.

He was just an idiot.

Reagan was first and foremost a B actor. He got his start with an arch-conservative stump speech that gradually convinced the Republicans that they could cast him a political role and he'd read the lines, hit his mark, not bump into the furniture, and deliver a funny anecdote with the best of them. He was playing the role of the president and relied more on the teleprompter than any other president to that time. He. Was. An. Actor. Playing. A. Role. And he was a ways down the road to dementia throughout his second term. But that's just my opinion, and Alf says I am welcome to it. I think.

• Cheers 1

So the people of Maine have a vote coming up on Nov 5 on a proposal that if approved may have a shot at challenging the way money from SuperPacs is spent. Some interesting bits on the repeal of Citizens United and what the decision by the Supreme Court actually said, and part of their argument is based on the Bob Menendez conviction. Could a corrupt Democrat save democracy by accident? 

Definitely worth a watch for those interested.

• ThereItIs 1

17 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'd also add on the disastrous War on Drugs and the repeal of the Fair News Doctrine.  Reagan was an absolute piece of shit and his administration is the root cause of many problems plaguing not only the USA, but the whole world.

Just say no, at Nagano !

I have a T-shirt made by the Whistler locals with that on it.

Also, Smoke a fatty with Rebagliati. 

Seriously, your point about the Fair News Doctrine is right up there with the corruption and his economic policies.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

So the people of Maine have a vote coming up on Nov 5 on a proposal that if approved may have a shot at challenging the way money from SuperPacs is spent. Some interesting bits on the repeal of Citizens United and what the decision by the Supreme Court actually said, and part of their argument is based on the Bob Menendez conviction. Could a corrupt Democrat save democracy by accident? 

Definitely worth a watch for those interested.

I keep bangin on about this.

Any political system that allows political donations is not really a " fair " system.

Like we don't know what their policies are.

They need money to publicise what they are.

I live thousands of miles away and I know what they are.

We have several TV shows here in Aus dedicated to the American election cycle that run every year, not just leading into the election.

I have posted about this road in Washington before, K Street

" K Street The Root of all evil, or just the main drag "

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/k-street-the-route-of-all-evil-or-just-the-main-drag/2012/01/26/gIQAAnKdsQ_story.html

11 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Just say no, at Nagano !

I have a T-shirt made by the Whistler locals with that on it.

Also, Smoke a fatty with Rebagliati. 

Seriously, your point about the Fair News Doctrine is right up there with the corruption and his economic policies.

Too funny - I had forgotten about “a fatty with Rebagliati.”

That unfolded unbelievably. The notoriety and the support that I got from Hollywood and from the entertainment side of things like David Letterman, my appearances on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Saturday Night Live and all those people that did those skits on me, even though they were, you know, not so much making fun of me, but just making light of the whole situation, was definitely a compliment. Robin Williams did a bit on me in ‘Live on Broadway’. Meeting Aykroyd and the supermodels in Soho, and spending time with Wayne Gretzky. I smoked a joint with Keith Richards, backstage at a concert. These are people you don’t get to hang out with normally, and it gives you a different perspective.

2 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Any political system that allows political donations is not really a " fair " system.

We have several TV shows here in Aus dedicated to the American election cycle that run every year, not just leading into the election.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/k-street-the-route-of-all-evil-or-just-the-main-drag/2012/01/26/gIQAAnKdsQ_story.html

I have enjoyed your posts on this issue. We are singing from the same hymn book.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Ilunga said:

All for publicly funded election with some individual donations capped at like $500 each election cycle. 

Pretty much give all equal time to make their case. Problem however runs into our corrupted and degraded media where they will give free advertisement to their candidate of choice so you probably need a fair doctrine act as well. 

Notice how US kinda went to shit after Regan with his repeal of the fairness doctrine for media. 

• ThereItIs 2

38 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

They try to get arrested by saying these lies,.  

They love to have us believe

“ it’s freedom of speech”.

Truth is they abuse , and it is abusive .

Nothing good ever come out of a South African white in term of social values. 

That whole population are some of the racist people around as proven by apartheid. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Reagan was first and foremost a B actor. He got his start with an arch-conservative stump speech that gradually convinced the Republicans that they could cast him a political role and he'd read the lines, hit his mark, not bump into the furniture, and deliver a funny anecdote with the best of them. He was playing the role of the president and relied more on the teleprompter than any other president to that time. He. Was. An. Actor. Playing. A. Role. And he was a ways down the road to dementia throughout his second term. But that's just my opinion, and Alf says I am welcome to it. I think.

He was a communicator, he did have an certain ability to connect with the " average " American. 

As for his mental decline, he started confusing reality with fiction after he left Hollywood, talking about his war experiences, he was assigned to an army film unit making training films, as if they were actual experience, him actually being on active duty, during the war.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Too funny - I had forgotten about “a fatty with Rebagliati.”

That unfolded unbelievably. The notoriety and the support that I got from Hollywood and from the entertainment side of things like David Letterman, my appearances on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Saturday Night Live and all those people that did those skits on me, even though they were, you know, not so much making fun of me, but just making light of the whole situation, was definitely a compliment. Robin Williams did a bit on me in ‘Live on Broadway’. Meeting Aykroyd and the supermodels in Soho, and spending time with Wayne Gretzky. I smoked a joint with Keith Richards, backstage at a concert. These are people you don’t get to hang out with normally, and it gives you a different perspective.

I have enjoyed your posts on this issue. We are singing from the same hymn book.

I was in Canada when that went down.

I rode (skied) mostly with Snowboarders, many of whom were the first to take up the sport in the 80's.

There was a bunch of guys from Whistler, Ross, Jasey Jay Anderson amongst others who loved a smoke and loved riding.

When it was announced that snowboarding would have those two events, they all quit and trained their arses off. 

Jasey Jay was the favourite, he used his old " favourite" board in his race run.

He was a second up when he tore the top sheet off. 

From memory I can remember your PM at the time speaking up for him.

We all thought it was the best thing that could happen with snowboarding.

The first person to win a an Olympic gold Medal tests positive for pot.

Fuck yeah !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Satchmo said:

Recognize this man?  This photoshopped version of Vance's senate photo comes courtesy of GOP Representative Mike Collins.  Ladies - would you vote for him?

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/photoshopped-picture-jd-vance-become-153449257.html

Every GOP male right now and two individuals in this thread

masturbating shake it GIF by Smasher Networkbatman masturbating GIFstan marsh singing GIF by South Park

4 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Having read Jack Smith's legal brief I cannot fathom how anyone could objectively read the evidence presented (entirely by Republicans) and conclude anything other than this was a coup attempt. This was an attempt to subvert the will of the people. First through a campaign of stolen election lies and non existent election fraud. Where Trump was told repeatedly by his own people and experts that his claims were meritless. He then just brought in people like Giuliani who would parrot his lies.

Then when the courts turned him away he moved on to a campaign of intimidating State Officials. Resulting in angry mobs turning up at their homes threatening and intimidating them and their families. When that failed he ginned up lies about election workers. Putting them at risk of violence.

And then of course there was his incredibly brazen fake electors plot. All of his henchmen like Chesboro and Eastman have sung like canaries. The evidence of all of this is damning.

When all of that failed he sent a mob to ransack the capital. In a final attempt to scare Mike Pence into bending to his will.

As much as it pains me to say this Mike Pence deserves special praise for standing up to the pressure campaign and threats (mostly by Trump) and doing the right thing even at great risk to his own personal safety.

We know why he won't have another debate.

He can face Kamala down as she just grills him endlessly about this report and the evidence.

everything he says or does can be countered by "but what about this"

What a sad gd state of affairs he is actually going to win this election if the chips fall towards the electoral college to decide it