US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, bolt said:

The party that had the most un-democratic process in American history to pick a presidential nominee is the party that will protect democracy?

In the end you got it right. 😎

21 hours ago, 4petesake said:

This is mind-boggling.

26,313 women have been forced to deliver babies conceived by rape in a state with no rape exceptions for abortion, after Governor Abbot reassured women that the state would work tirelessly to eliminate all rapists from the streets of Texas when the abortion ban took effect. 

JAMA study says more than 26,000 rape-related pregnancies in Texas since abortion ban

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/jama-study-says-more-than-26000-rape-related-pregnancies-in-texas-since-abortion-ban/ar-BB1hgOfG

Do I have this right?  18 months is about 540 days.  So 26,000 rape-related pregnancies in those 18 months works out to 48 rape-related pregnancies per day.

If that's correct, how is that possible?  What is going on in that state?

But I have to wonder about those stats.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Do I have this right?  18 months is about 540 days.  So 26,000 rape-related pregnancies in those 18 months works out to 48 rape-related pregnancies per day.

If that's correct, how is that possible?  What is going on in that state?

But I have to wonder about those stats.

I thought the same as you but I found those stats published in several places. JAMA is a peer reviewed medical journal published by the American Medical Association so the study has either been peer reviewed or will be so stay tuned. FYI you’re not the only one to question the accuracy of their stats.

A new study estimates that more than 64,000 pregnancies resulted from rapebetween July 1, 2022, and January 1, 2024, in states where abortion has been banned throughout pregnancy in all or most cases. Of these, just more than 5,500 are estimated to have occurred in states with rape exceptions—and nearly 59,000 are estimated for states without exceptions. The authors calculate that more than 26,000 rape-caused pregnancies may have taken place in Texas alone. The findings were published on Wednesday in JAMA Internal Medicine.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

60 mins is a tirefire.

The interview was so heavily edited it was literally to the point of them cutting in audio explaining her position as she is attempting to answering the questions LOL. And she still came across not well.

The sooner shows like this are no longer intentionally part of the process, and are instead replaced with long form unedited interviews where dimwitted candidates like her & Trump have nowhere to hide, the better. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, 4petesake said:

You may not like her as a candidate but putting Trump on the same level as her in the ‘wit’ department is one hell of a stretch I’d say.

Trump is 78 she is 59. For all his flaws in 2016 at age 70 Trump was far better at this (public speaking/interviews/exc) than she is now.

Which btw, I think questioning Trump's age at this point like many did with Biden is completely fair, it not to the same level but he certainly lost a step & is too old for this.

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Trump is 78 she is 59. For all his flaws in 2016 at age 70 Trump was far better at this (public speaking/interviews/exc) than she is now.

Which btw, I think questioning Trump's age at this point like many did with Biden is completely fair, it not to the same level but he certainly lost a step & is too old for this.

Considering Rump is a pumpkin he’s been rotten for 77 years. 

11 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

His speeches only work on certain dimwits ( thanks to the US education system )

Hey now, there are plenty of Canadians (some right here in this thread) who are also buying into his speeches.

While we certainly have a majority, the USA does not have a monopoly on dimwits; it only seems that way sometimes....

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

53 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I stand corrected.

“I’m speaking with myself, number one, because I have a very good brain and I’ve said a lot of things.” (Asked on Morning Joe who his foreign policy consultants are, March 16, 2016)

After I beat them, I’m going to be so presidential, you’re going to be so bored, you’re going to say, this is the most boring human being I’ve ever interviewed.” (Interview on “Fox News Sunday” April 3, 2016)

“I have borrowed, knowing that you can pay back with discounts... . Now, we’re in a different situation with the country. But I would borrow, knowing that if the economy crashed, you could make a deal. And if the economy was good, it was good. So, therefore, you can’t lose.” (CNBC, May 6, 2016)

“First of all, you never have to default because you print the money, I hate to tell you, OK? So there’s never a default.” 

“I’m the king of debt. I understand debt better than probably anybody. I know how to deal with debt, so well. I love debt.” (CNN, May 9, 2016)

“I will totally accept the results of this great and historic presidential election—if I win.” (Rally in Delaware, Ohio, October 20, 2016)

“He’s a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren’t captured, OK?” (Donald Trump on Senator John McCain at the Family Leadership Summit in Ames, Iowa, on July 17, 2015)

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I stand corrected.

“I’m speaking with myself, number one, because I have a very good brain and I’ve said a lot of things.” (Asked on Morning Joe who his foreign policy consultants are, March 16, 2016)

After I beat them, I’m going to be so presidential, you’re going to be so bored, you’re going to say, this is the most boring human being I’ve ever interviewed.” (Interview on “Fox News Sunday” April 3, 2016)

“I have borrowed, knowing that you can pay back with discounts... . Now, we’re in a different situation with the country. But I would borrow, knowing that if the economy crashed, you could make a deal. And if the economy was good, it was good. So, therefore, you can’t lose.” (CNBC, May 6, 2016)

“First of all, you never have to default because you print the money, I hate to tell you, OK? So there’s never a default.” 

“I’m the king of debt. I understand debt better than probably anybody. I know how to deal with debt, so well. I love debt.” (CNN, May 9, 2016)

“I will totally accept the results of this great and historic presidential election—if I win.” (Rally in Delaware, Ohio, October 20, 2016)

“He’s a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren’t captured, OK?” (Donald Trump on Senator John McCain at the Family Leadership Summit in Ames, Iowa, on July 17, 2015)

One of my fav's when referencing Kim Jong Un

"I may be wrong, I mean I may stand before you in six months and say, 'Hey I was wrong,'" said Trump, before adding, "I don't know that I'll ever admit that, but I'll find some kind of an excuse."

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

42 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Kind of like what’s going on his head ..

Klass Klown Donny Trump. Has a pretty girl pass in his homework for him. Oh wait. It’s blank! Stupid invisible ink!

Brings back fond memories of elementary school.

What should his punishment be this time? The strap or the dunce cap?

IMG_2113.jpeg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, kilgore said:

You may have ducked out because the heat is getting too much in here for you. But I wanted to say sometimes one gets distracted  by the absurdity of bald faced lies like Trump didn't have any racist tendencies shown before 2015, and we all jump on that because its so easily proven, just as JD said, that one almost misses a glaring admission in the argument.  Rereading your posts,, you said...."He only became a racist when he ran for the Republican nomination". 

This is a bit of nuance that you don't understand. @JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo does, maybe he can explain it better than I can. Thank you Joey.

Like WTF?  We showed you examples of his racism before 2014.   To the point that even JD Vance called him a racist. But even IF he was a squeaky clean kumbaya politically correct businessman before that, and he only started being a racist when he ran for office...... That's okay with you? Anything after 2014, any racism does not count?

3....2.....1......."What I meant was it was the damn fake news media's fault for reporting the facts surrounding all the cases. No wonder JD got confused, and only later, when Trump tapped him to be VP, did he suddenly have an epiphany that up was down, and Trump is just a poor innocent misunderstood patriot."

Those examples are laughably weak except the rental thing FROM 50 YEARS AGO! Plus it was his dad's company iirc. I could find much worse from virtually any public figure you could name of a similar age. GUARANTEED.

I had seen both sides of the CP5 issue and I was left to believe they got off on technicality or were enjoying the rape/murder show as spectators. Was one of them actually totally innocent? Maybe, not sure. Regardless, this is about rape and murder, and was only constructed into a race game for political purpose.

Oh BTW, the latest example......(that I guess doesn't count because it is post-2014):

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-harris-presidential-election-polls-news-live-updates-b2624670.html

Donald Trump has launched a bigoted attack on migrants claiming they are predisposed to committing violent crimes because of “their genes” during an interview with Hugh Hewitt.

DT is not saying foreigners are genetically inferior, he is saying they are sending their mental patients and criminals who he thinks would be genetically inferior.

17 hours ago, Satchmo said:

Or even DJT who was dumb enough to be taken in by his Hollywood friends for years.

DJT has told us criminality  is genetic, like dumbness I suppose, but dumbness is something you can apparently grow out of according to Cranston.  

I said you can grow out of dumbness? 

27 minutes ago, Cranston said:

I said you can grow out of dumbness? 

I don't think you can.  I just think your twisted attempt at an argument implied that you could. For instance anything dumb thing said prior to 2014 doesn't seem to matter. 

Edited by Satchmo

The more interviews Kamala Harris does, the weaker a presidential candidate she seems. Just endless word salad bilge. Democrats must be kicking themselves they didn’t have a proper contest to replace Biden.

8 minutes ago, Cranston said:

This is a bit of nuance that you don't understand. @JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo does, maybe he can explain it better than I can. Thank you Joey.

Those examples are laughably weak except the rental thing FROM 50 YEARS AGO! Plus it was his dad's company iirc. I could find much worse from virtually any public figure you could name of a similar age. GUARANTEED.

I had seen both sides of the CP5 issue and I was left to believe they got off on technicality or were enjoying the rape/murder show as spectators. Was one of them actually totally innocent? Maybe, not sure. Regardless, this is about rape and murder, and was only constructed into a race game for political purpose.

DT is not saying foreigners are genetically inferior, he is saying they are sending their mental patients and criminals who he thinks would be genetically inferior.

Go ahead.  Bring us your list of 'much worse'.  GUARANTEED.

You seem to have an unusual take on the CP5.  Maybe take another look.

Cuba sent convicts and mental patients to the states in the 70's so there is a precedent.  We have Republicans saying Latin/South America is doing so now but I'd like to see some actual proof it's happening before I take it out of the category of 'They are eating cats!', 'Kamala wears an ear piece' or 'They are controlling the hurricane'.   If/when I see that proof I will still avoid the Nature vs Nurture debate that has gone on for centuries now with no clear winner.

3 minutes ago, bolt said:

The more interviews Kamala Harris does, the weaker a presidential candidate she seems. Just endless word salad bilge. Democrats must be kicking themselves they didn’t have a proper contest to replace Biden.

Congratulations! No memes and some sentences describing your point of view.  Regarding inciteful interview answers, did you see this post?

2 hours ago, 4petesake said:

I stand corrected.