US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Looks like Joe blames his former boss for what's going on in Ukraine while the Harris campaign is trying to pin it on the Big Mac Muncher.

I know people here don't like the Daily Mail, but I'm having a tough time finding more than short superficial mentions of it on the liberal leaning websites that this board likes to quote from.  Plus they're pretty occupied with The Orange One's reported ongoing bromance with Putin as also reported by Woodward in his new book.

Biden admits Obama 'f***ed up' with Putin and 'didn't take him 'seriously'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13937785/bob-woodward-joe-biden-ukrain.html

43 minutes ago, bolt said:

The more interviews Kamala Harris does, the weaker a presidential candidate she seems. Just endless word salad bilge. Democrats must be kicking themselves they didn’t have a proper contest to replace Biden.

The great orator Donald TRUMP.  No endless word salads that are face palm worthy from the big orange brain.  Nope, none at all.

Except, there are numerous examples.  Like:

mi26wyrg556d1.jpeg

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Elon Muskovite says "but...but"

West Virginia will go heavily to Trump.  It's a heavy MAGA state.  Any election law that they pass is just a voter base appeasement move that their state representatives and governor will point to in order to drum up more votes for their races.

14 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

The great orator Donald TRUMP.  No endless word salads that are face palm worthy from the big orange brain.  Nope, none at all.

mi26wyrg556d1.jpeg

MAGA when they hear Trump go off on another random, unintelligent, tangential, jumble of words that makes little sense:

image.gif.38d8b647c055737026c47c93e93c28c5.gif

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Totally disagree.

His speeches only work on certain dimwits ( thanks to the US education system ) and he avoids any interviews that will fact check him.

It's stunning to me that poeple make statements like you did here. He lies soo much that he can fudge his way through interviews, when he even does them. Is that being 'good' at interviews? I could do a great interview on rocket science if I got to make shit up as I go...

Just an observation - simple minds and/or people who are intellectually lazy or choose intentional ignorance will laud style over substance.

image.gif.13ab2f90a9e815268b84d6575b5694a7.gif

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

48 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

West Virginia will go heavily to Trump.  It's a heavy MAGA state.  Any election law that they pass is just a voter base appeasement move that their state representatives and governor will point to in order to drum up more votes for their races.

Joe Manchin, one of the few blue dog Democrats ( before he went independent)?  That's how you get elected in that state id you're not GOP or a Dixiecrat.

52 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Yeah....I mean, what's a declaration to commit illegal and treasonous acts among friends? Amirite? :classic_rolleyes:

What happens when North Carolina and/or Georgia follow suit?

1 hour ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

mi26wyrg556d1.jpeg

The fact that anyone can defend this assclown, while simultaneously criticizing Kamala Harris for "word salads" in mind boggling.

That's some "expert level" lack of self awareness, that is....

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Joe Manchin, one of the few blue dog Democrats ( before he went independent)?  That's how you get elected in that state id you're not GOP or a Dixiecrat.

Trump won West Virginia  in 2020 by about 30% if I remember correctly.

11 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Yeah....I mean, what's a declaration to commit illegal and treasonous acts among friends? Amirite? :classic_rolleyes:

I can see NC doing a copycat rule, but Georgia would be stupid to do it.  They've been trending more purple as time goes on.  That's why they had no qualms about criminally charging Trump.  They weren't worried about political blowback from their citizens.

It's the swing states that will decide the election.  They aren't likely to pass a similar law, with possibly the exception of Arizona.  I gave up guessing about Arizona a while back.

*edit* I just remembered that NC is a swing state of course.  They won't do it for the same reason Georgia won't do it.

Edited by Sabrefan1

14 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Just so I don't have to do another edit on the above post....

Only already heavily MAGA states will copycat that law.  If the Democrats are concerned about those laws after the election is over, they'll get them overturned in court as soon as they establish standing.  SCOTUS recently weakened what a state can do in regards to messing federal elections.

3 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I mean, BW is no Peter Doocy or Jesse Watters, but he did kinda break the whole Watergate thing....

Not bad for a "total sleazebag"....

Woodward and Bernstein set the standard for investigative journalism.

4 hours ago, SilentSam said:

yes he does ..   illegally.

How serious an issue is this, legally?  That is, is a former President not allowed to have private conversations with other countrys' heads of state?

15 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Just so I don't have to do another edit on the above post....

Only already heavily MAGA states will copycat that law.  If the Democrats are concerned about those laws after the election is over, they'll get them overturned in court as soon as they establish standing.  SCOTUS recently weakened what a state can do in regards to messing federal elections.

Or maybe....and bear with me here....these "undecideds" that we keep hearing about, can take a look at this obvious chicanery from Republicans and decide that they don't deserve the power that they seem so willing to steal, if they can't win it....

1 minute ago, UnkNuk said:

How serious an issue is this, legally?  That is, is a former President not allowed to have private conversations with other countrys' heads of state?

Depends.  The two countries have to be 'in dispute' and that dispute must have been negotiated..

The Logan Act (1 Stat. 613, 18 U.S.C. § 953, enacted January 30, 1799) is a United States federal law that criminalizes the negotiation of a dispute between the United States and a foreign government by an unauthorized American citizen.

So, we would have to know what was discussed.  It might not have been a offense as described by the Logan act.  Could have been many other crimes. Or, they just discussed sports and their favorite old movies.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bolt said:

The more interviews Kamala Harris does, the weaker a presidential candidate she seems. Just endless word salad bilge. Democrats must be kicking themselves they didn’t have a proper contest to replace Biden.

lol ..  and Trump should continue in privacy or absent ,.    Probably hanging out with reading material in his marlago bathroom ..

you ever wonder why a lot of media is keeping / announcing this as a “ tight political race?” .

1:  good material to keep it newsworthy.

2.  To make sure people get out to vote .

Harris will defeat Trump ,  just before he goes to jail.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, bolt said:

lol ..  and Trump should continue in privacy or absent ,.    Probably hanging out with reading material in his marlago bathroom ..

you ever wonder why a lot of media is keeping / announcing this as a “ tight political race?” .

1:  good material to keep it newsworthy.

2.  To make sure people get out to vote .

Harris will defeat Trump ,  just before he goes to jail.

13 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

a former president is a private citizen.

The Logan Act(1 Stat. 613, 18 U.S.C. § 953, enacted January 30, 1799) is a United States federal lawthat criminalizes the negotiation of a dispute between the United States and a foreign government by an unauthorized American citizen. The intent behind the Act is to prevent unauthorized negotiations from undermining the government's position.[2]The Act was passed following George Logan's unauthorized negotiations with France in 1798, and was signed into law by President John Adams on January 30, 1799. The Act was amended in 1994, changing the penalty for violation from "fined $5,000" to "fined under this title"; this appears to be the only amendment to the Act.[2] Violation of the Logan Act is a felony, punishable with imprisonment for up to three years.

Logan Act
Great Seal of the United States

understand too , Trump , as a PRIVATE CITIZEN applied to the federal government,  to run for the Presidency in 2024 ,   JUST BEFORE THE INSURRECTION  ON Jan 6 2021.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Or maybe....and bear with me here....these "undecideds" that we keep hearing about, can take a look at this obvious chicanery from Republicans and decide that they don't deserve the power that they seem so willing to steal, if they can't win it....

There are no undecideds in any consequential amount, and there hasn't been for a while now.

Everyone knows both of these candidates. 

Nobody is going to wake up tomorrow and suddenly want to vote for Trump.  By now, people have already accepted him or rejected him.  All that's left to do is try and scaremonger people off of their chosen candidate if they are only hanging onto that candidate by a thread.  That's what both sides have been doing for a while now.

The people claiming to be undecided are lying to get on television for their 15 minutes of fame.