US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

4 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

a former president is a private citizen.

The Logan Act(1 Stat. 613, 18 U.S.C. § 953, enacted January 30, 1799) is a United States federal lawthat criminalizes the negotiation of a dispute between the United States and a foreign government by an unauthorized American citizen. The intent behind the Act is to prevent unauthorized negotiations from undermining the government's position.[2]The Act was passed following George Logan's unauthorized negotiations with France in 1798, and was signed into law by President John Adams on January 30, 1799. The Act was amended in 1994, changing the penalty for violation from "fined $5,000" to "fined under this title"; this appears to be the only amendment to the Act.[2] Violation of the Logan Act is a felony, punishable with imprisonment for up to three years.

Logan Act
Great Seal of the United States

understand too , Trump , as a PRIVATE CITIZEN applied to the federal government,  to run for the Presidency in 2024 ,   JUST BEFORE THE INSURRECTION  ON Jan 6 2021.

If Trump has tried to negotiate terms of peace with Putin in reference to Ukraine since Russia's invasion 2 years ago, he's broken the act and will be seeing the courtroom if he loses the upcoming election. 

If he just talked to Putin about his election and what brand of COVID test that he wants, then Trump hasn't broken the law.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

If Trump has tried to negotiate terms of peace with Putin in reference to Ukraine since Russia's invasion 2 years ago, he's broken the act and will be seeing the courtroom if he loses the upcoming election. 

If he just talked to Putin about his election and what brand of COVID test that he wants, then Trump hasn't broken the law.

If Ukraine was discussed and negotiated the question would become are the US and Russia 'in dispute' in regards to Ukraine?  I believe so but who knows what (the current) SCOTUS would think.

34 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They eventually got him in civil court.  Like I said, if there is actual proof of election fraud you're okay with certifying an election?

Oddly enough the only proof of skullduggery with respect to election shenanigans have been from the GOP (look it up, fake electoral schemes, etc.,) to my knowledge.  Again, it would be like OJ starting a 'battered womens support group".

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

If Ukraine was discussed and negotiated the question would become are the US and Russia 'in dispute' in regards to Ukraine?  I believe so but who knows what (the current) SCOTUS would think.

SCOTUS can't protect Trump for things he does as a private citizen.  More to the point, Thomas and Alito won't be able to rally 3 more justices to join them. 

If Trump wins in November, it won't matter anyways.  By the end of his term, he'll be giving himself a blanket pardon and the Democrats won't bother trying to stop it because they won't want to cut off a power that could come in handy for them over a guy who will have termed out from running again for office.

If Trump loses the election, he better hope that he didn't discuss terms in regards to Ukraine with Putin.

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

SCOTUS can't protect Trump for things he does as a private citizen.  More to the point, Thomas and Alito won't be able to rally 3 more justices to join them. 

If Trump wins in November, it won't matter anyways.  By the end of his term, he'll be giving himself a blanket pardon and the Democrats won't bother trying to stop it because they won't want to cut off a power that could come in handy for them over a guy who will have termed out from running again for office.

If Trump loses the election, he better hope that he didn't discuss terms in regards to Ukraine with Putin.

Will be a non-starter as it looks like the GOP will be in control of the Senate.  Cholestorol will be Fatass biggest foe at his age/Orca whale weight.

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

Yes, Trump is (and hopefully will continue to be) a private citizen.  My only question was:  What does 'in dispute' and 'negotiate' mean in terms of the Logan act?  That is up to judges to figure out if/when they ever need to.

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Will be a non-starter as it looks like the GOP will be in control of the Senate.  Cholestorol will be Fatass biggest foe at his age/Orca whale weight.

Sorry, I was unclear. 

I meant that the Democrats wouldn't bother doing a full court press in federal court to try and block and/or overturn it after he's out of office. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Cranston said:

This is a bit of nuance that you don't understand. @JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo does, maybe he can explain it better than I can. Thank you Joey.

Those examples are laughably weak except the rental thing FROM 50 YEARS AGO! Plus it was his dad's company iirc. I could find much worse from virtually any public figure you could name of a similar age. GUARANTEED.

I had seen both sides of the CP5 issue and I was left to believe they got off on technicality or were enjoying the rape/murder show as spectators. Was one of them actually totally innocent? Maybe, not sure. Regardless, this is about rape and murder, and was only constructed into a race game for political purpose.

DT is not saying foreigners are genetically inferior, he is saying they are sending their mental patients and criminals who he thinks would be genetically inferior.

"He only became a racist when he ran for the Republican nomination"   That is nuance?   Sounds pretty clear to me.

Oh and,  thank you Joey!, for your participation.

When we provide examples of racism before 2014, you dismiss them as "laughably weak". And if after 2014 you seemingly, and bizarrely, think its not relevant.   And you say you can find examples by virtually ANY public figure....(who is today an active politician running for office).  Please give us at least one example.  (And not a another MAGA Republican because thats too easy)

On the CP5, some education:  No, it was not a "technicality". No, there were no spectators.....

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/feb/17/central-park-five-donald-trump-jogger-rape-case-new-york

In 2002, after Salaam had served seven years in prison, Matias Reyes, a violent serial rapist and murderer already serving life inside, came forward and confessed to the Central Park rape. He stated that he had acted by himself. A re-examination of DNA evidence proved it was his semen alone found on Meili’s body, and just before Christmas that year, the convictions against each member of the Central Park Five were vacated by New York’s supreme court.

Trump then continued to call them guilty, because......Trump simply cannot be wrong. And yes, because they were black. No way he would have gone  out on such a limb for a group  of white teenagers. 

But far from offering an apology for his conduct in 1989, Trump was furious.

In an opinion piece for the New York Daily News, he described the case as the “heist of the century”.

“Settling doesn’t mean innocence, but it indicates incompetence on several levels,” Trump wrote

You are getting your Trump lies mixed up.  You are referring to lie # 80,734 (or thereabouts)  That Haiti is somehow sending Venezuelan criminals and mental patients to the US in the hundreds of thousands. 

No, I'm talking about lie # 80,735  You don't have to do any Trump'splaining for him.  After lamenting about all the thousands of migrants Democrats have let in he said “It’s in their genes” to be criminal.  Who's genes?  Even IF he was just saying that ALL criminals, white American or brown immigrant, are that way because its in their genes....even that is not true.

But in this case its clear he was smearing all southern border migrants with having criminality naturally in their genes.  He's already said Mexicans that enter are rapists and murderers, and only tagging on that perhaps some might be okay.

And ignoring of course statistics that show that new immigrants commit way less crime than natural born Americans. When Trump says the opposite, your poor cult controlled brain runs over to defend his lies and his racism.  Sad.

• Cheers 4

9 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Yes, Trump is (and hopefully will continue to be) a private citizen.  My only question was:  What does 'in dispute' and 'negotiate' mean in terms of the Logan act?  That is up to judges to figure out if/when they ever need to.

That one you can actually get a good handle on and guesstimate yourself.  That act was created as a direct response when a private well-to-do citizen (I forget his name) went overseas and negotiated an "understanding" with a foreign power that neither the president nor Congress was able to do.

They were so embarrassed that they created and passed The Logan Act to try and curb anyone from doing the same thing again.

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

That one you can actually get a good handle on and guesstimate yourself.  That act was created as a direct response when a private well-to-do citizen (I forget his name) went overseas and negotiated an "understanding" with a foreign power that neither the president nor Congress was able to do.

They were so embarrassed that they created and passed The Logan Act to try and curb anyone from doing the same thing again.

I can handle and guesstimate all I want but to repeat my one and only point - how will SCOTUS do so?

2 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I can handle and guesstimate all I want but to repeat my one and only point - how will SCOTUS do so?

10-1 it would likely never reach the SCOTUS if Trump loses this election.  If he gets charged with it, that means he lost. 

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

10-1 it would likely never reach the SCOTUS if Trump loses this election.  If he gets charged with it, that means he lost. 

Ok.  We are agreeing and disagreeing at the same time.  You are talking politic outcomes and I am talking about the vagueness of language and the freedom of the judicial system to interpret language as they see fit.  Potato patatah and go Canucks go.  

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

why the swings?  You know more than I about it.  Is it tie to the election?  From what I hive read the stock is garbage

Probably because you fixed your dishwasher.  😉

It went up after Leon showed up at a Trump rally. It went up even higher when Kamala went on a sex podcast.. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PistolPete13 said:

IMG_0264.jpeg

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

"He only became a racist when he ran for the Republican nomination"   That is nuance?   Sounds pretty clear to me.

Oh and,  thank you Joey!, for your participation.

When we provide examples of racism before 2014, you dismiss them as "laughably weak". And if after 2014 you seemingly, and bizarrely, think its not relevant.   And you say you can find examples by virtually ANY public figure....(who is today an active politician running for office).  Please give us at least one example.  (And not a another MAGA Republican because thats too easy)

On the CP5, some education:  No, it was not a "technicality". No, there were no spectators.....

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/feb/17/central-park-five-donald-trump-jogger-rape-case-new-york

In 2002, after Salaam had served seven years in prison, Matias Reyes, a violent serial rapist and murderer already serving life inside, came forward and confessed to the Central Park rape. He stated that he had acted by himself. A re-examination of DNA evidence proved it was his semen alone found on Meili’s body, and just before Christmas that year, the convictions against each member of the Central Park Five were vacated by New York’s supreme court.

Trump then continued to call them guilty, because......Trump simply cannot be wrong. And yes, because they were black. No way he would have gone  out on such a limb for a group  of white teenagers. 

But far from offering an apology for his conduct in 1989, Trump was furious.

In an opinion piece for the New York Daily News, he described the case as the “heist of the century”.

“Settling doesn’t mean innocence, but it indicates incompetence on several levels,” Trump wrote

You are getting your Trump lies mixed up.  You are referring to lie # 80,734 (or thereabouts)  That Haiti is somehow sending Venezuelan criminals and mental patients to the US in the hundreds of thousands. 

No, I'm talking about lie # 80,735  You don't have to do any Trump'splaining for him.  After lamenting about all the thousands of migrants Democrats have let in he said “It’s in their genes” to be criminal.  Who's genes?  Even IF he was just saying that ALL criminals, white American or brown immigrant, are that way because its in their genes....even that is not true.

But in this case its clear he was smearing all southern border migrants with having criminality naturally in their genes.  He's already said Mexicans that enter are rapists and murderers, and only tagging on that perhaps some might be okay.

And ignoring of course statistics that show that new immigrants commit way less crime than natural born Americans. When Trump says the opposite, your poor cult controlled brain runs over to defend his lies and his racism.  Sad.

MSNBC awaits, you are naturals.  Grab onto a sentence or sentence fragment, ignore both context the English language and the total point of it all, and run with it forevermore. Why don't you love me and my post since you think I said Trump became a racist in 2015? I should fit right in. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Cranston said:

MSNBC awaits, you are naturals.  Grab onto a sentence or sentence fragment, ignore both context the English language and the total point of it all, and run with it forevermore. Why don't you love me and my post since you think I said Trump became a racist in 2015? I should fit right in. 

Just whose tactics are you describing here Mr. Cranston? 🤣

Edited by Satchmo
  • Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1