US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

5 minutes ago, Gurn said:

But Kamal is somehow worse; because everyone expects that Drumpf is a lying, disgusting piece of trash.?

Teflon Don syndrome.

I'd guess there is an actual medical/psychiatric  term for this type of thinking.

I tend to stick to more 'everyman' wording- like false equivalency.

--------------------------------------

I'd suggest that most of the Don's support, in this thread, is not from true believers, but rather from people that just like to upset other people.

In the old days they'd be called trolls.

And ignored- like I have done with many.

Yeah, what is also fascinating in a social evolutionary way, is those kinds of human behaviours being on full display like never before. I for instance never thought that so many folks would be dumb enough to fall for a charlatan and life long criminal who is obviously in it only for himself and cares nothing about his own supporters. 

And what you said is true.  That different standards can apply to different candidates simply based on the fact that one is a gushing sewer pipe, and the other lets a poorly chosen sentence, or a lie about a location date, drop once in a while so it stands out.   It's huge news if the latter one makes even the tiniest of mistakes. That mistake is not compared to the other candidates lying history, but is instead compared to that same candidates past,  normal, behaviour.  Or some pure George Washington's "I cannot lie" standards.  And as for that other candidate?  The MSM also only compare Trump to Trump's past as well. And since nothing has changed,  there is nothing to compare it to with the sheer amount of shit gushing out daily that they just give up.  And that becomes the new normal for him.

As for troll behaviour.  Its some kind of juvenile thrill for them I guess. I just don't understand, if its all a game, and they are just posting pro Trump pro Fascist lies and exaggerated "scandals" by the other side for fun to rile up those that deal in reality,...........why?  It makes you look like an idiot. Because others then actually believe that you are a patsy and believe what you post and must be as dumb as the morans you are defending.  Such a shallow pool for them to get their laughs. Is that really worth the trouble?  The easily amused. I guess they will always be with us

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • ThereItIs 1

23 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So humanity is doomed is what you're saying? 

Nah- just the slow and weak elk, dying off as they are unable to keep up.

Whole lot of noise and anguish, but soon they will be nothing more than footnotes in history.

Last gasp of a desperate movement.

1 hour ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

OHHHH NOOOOOO

Network news program that edits segments and interviews ALL THE TIME edits an interview.

Did they CGI and use AI in the segment?  Now that would be worthy of the outrage.

Should a national “news” network edit a candidate’s interview to make that person appear to interview better than they truly did? Just because something is done doesn’t make it right. 
If Trump’s interviews were edited to cut out his idiocy, there would be nothing left. 
Play interviews without edits. 

• ThereItIs 2

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Should a national “news” network edit a candidate’s interview to make that person appear to interview better than they truly did? Just because something is done doesn’t make it right. 
If Trump’s interviews were edited to cut out his idiocy, there would be nothing left. 

Do you want everything to be live again? Like the Sid Caesar show?

60 Minutes taped a bunch of people talking and then prepared 3 segments (or was it 4?) for broadcast.  Editing occurred, just like it does every 60 minutes episode.

60 Minutes is a pretty good show right? Piles of Emmys and other awards.  Of course, they do run into shit like this every once in a while.  That's show biz for you.

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How about that it wasn't done to make her appear better, even though that is the maga spin, but was done to fit as many question's and answers in the 60 minutes, which is more like 40 minutes after commercials.

I'm sure with every interview they do, they have reams of content. At least twice as much as they need. Then their editors go to work "cleaning" it up. Taking out repeated content, or unintelligible content soundwise, or even cut out parts of answers if they go on too long.....even if the byproduct of that is that it cuts out some of the word salad that her opponents could have made mincemeat out of.  The maga spin that it was done for nefarious reasons is what is laughable.  60 Minutes was just doing what I'm sure they do for every interview, editing together a compelling show within the time frame they had to work with. 

It's not that they necessarily wanted her to "interview better than she truly did" its more that they wanted the show itself, with their name on it, to be as good and polished as they demanded of themselves production wise. At least what they believed to be a good product using the standards and techniques they have used for decades on that program

Sure it would be great for them to also put out the complete unedited footage on a platform, afterwards, just for posterity if nothing else. And they have released the full answer. But this is more a question of TV platform limitations more than anything. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

If you ride upon the tiger you can never get off. They get hungry…

Too funny, they always eat their own. Never mind that it’s coming from this guy who has been a major supporter of Trump’s campaign - “Stewart Peters is an American alt-right internet personality, white nationalist, political commentator, Holocaust denier, and conspiracy theorist. He is known for promoting COVID-19 misinformation and conspiracy theories, as well as anti-LGBTQ, antisemitic, and white supremacist beliefs.

MAGAs Tell Trump to ‘Control His Wife’ After Melania Comes Out as Pro-Choice, ‘If He Can’t Manage His Wife, He Can’t Manage This Country!’

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Bob Long said:

its kind of an indictment of how the US operates, if you can over and under inflate values and get away with it. But if it's legal it's legal I guess. Or I guess thats why they call it due diligence, if a bank doesn't bother to check then tough beans I suppose. 

What would happen to you up here if you did this with your real estate holdings? 

If the court actually uphold the ruling, a lot of rich folks that fund these politicians and judges are going to jail. 

It is very corrupt especially in NYC. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

@Bob Long  Here is a pretty good summary of what happened in court. What this guy is saying was verified by videos on Twitter I watched of the judges questions to the prosecutors…

It's amazing that Bragg found a judge to go along with the insanity in the first place, but he did, so I will be surprised if this overturned because if that was possible, anything is.

Edited by Cranston

2 hours ago, 4petesake said:

If you ride upon the tiger you can never get off. They get hungry…

Too funny, they always eat their own. Never mind that it’s coming from this guy who has been a major supporter of Trump’s campaign - “Stewart Peters is an American alt-right internet personality, white nationalist, political commentator, Holocaust denier, and conspiracy theorist. He is known for promoting COVID-19 misinformation and conspiracy theories, as well as anti-LGBTQ, antisemitic, and white supremacist beliefs.

MAGAs Tell Trump to ‘Control His Wife’ After Melania Comes Out as Pro-Choice, ‘If He Can’t Manage His Wife, He Can’t Manage This Country!’

Trump and Mahomes might have to switch wives.  Is Melania young enough to be a Swiftie?

• Cheers 1