[Speculation] Report: Buffalo Sabres open to trading 2024 first-round pick

Report: Buffalo Sabres open to trading 2024 first-round pick 

Shane Seney 

Thursday, June 06, 2024

The Buffalo Sabres are looking to take a giant leap forward heading into next season and general manager Kevyn Adams is open to some wheeling and dealing.

According to insider Elliotte Friedman, the Sabres are willing to include their first-round pick, 11th overall:

The Sabres finished with a 39-37-6 record last season and continue to build around Tage Thompson and Dylan Cozens up front, while Owen Power and Rasmus Dahlin are the pillars on the backend. Adams showed some boldness acquiring Bowen Byram last season so he's going to have to once again make a significant move if he's looking to upgrade up front.

The Sabres enter the offseason with $23 million in projected cap space and have already been linked to Patrick Kane, among others. Adams brought back Lindy Ruff behind the bench as the changes continue throughout the organization.

Keep an eye on the Sabres heading into the 2024 NHL Draft, which is set for June 28. Adams is trying hard to give his roster a facelift and is willing to part with some of the future for immediate help for next season.

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/06/report-buffalo-sabres-open-to-trading.html

I think the days of drafting high and landing a Top 10 prospect are gone for the Canucks. They're in Win-mode and probably looking to add players to improve the team rather than build up the prospect pool for the future. JR/Allvin don't want picks, they want to Win. The Canucks don't have a 1st this year, wouldn't be surprised if they traded next year's too.

JR/Allvin have only known this way, working in PIT. Year after year Crosby and Malkin etc made the playoffs and were a threat to win. 

Going back with PIT drafting

2013 - X

2014 - Kapanen

...JR hired as GM

2015 - X

2016 - X

2017 - X

2018 - X

2019 - Poulin

2020 - X

...Allvin hired as GM

2021 - X

...and then JR/Allvin left PIT

2022 - Pickering

2023 - Yager

Look at all of those 1sts PIT traded over the years. I think Poulin was their only 1st round selection from JR/Allvin over all of those year in PIT.

If we got that pick we would almost certainly be using it as currency and trading it away again.

Like if Carolina wanted to save cap space and take picks/prospects back for Necas… then it could be Hronek to another spot for those assets.  (Not that I think Necas should be our #1 target, just that he is in the rumours).

5 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

I think the days of drafting high and landing a Top 10 prospect are gone for the Canucks. They're in Win-mode and probably looking to add players to improve the team rather than build up the prospect pool for the future. JR/Allvin don't want picks, they want to Win. The Canucks don't have a 1st this year, wouldn't be surprised if they traded next year's too.

JR/Allvin have only known this way, working in PIT. Year after year Crosby and Malkin etc made the playoffs and were a threat to win. 

2013 - X

2014 - Kapanen

...JR hired as GM

2015 - X

2016 - X

2017 - X

2018 - X

2019 - Poulin

2020 - X

...Allvin hired as GM

2021 - X

2022 - Pickering

2023 - Yager

Look at all of those 1sts PIT traded over the years. I think Poulin was their only 1st round selection from JR/Allvin over all of those year in PIT.

Yeah, realistically, if we add one more top 6 to play with Petey, and we have a solid top 3 on D of Hughes, Hronek, Zadorov, we should be a contender for the next 6 to 8 years as Petey, Hughes, Hronek, and others mature and gain experience.  The only guy that will trend down is Miller.  With that being said, I can see why there is so much smoke around Necas and the Canucks.  Adding another 25yo top skilled forward means we would have another guy that will just grow and mature with this group.

18 minutes ago, Provost said:

If we got that pick we would almost certainly be using it as currency and trading it away again.

Like if Carolina wanted to save cap space and take picks/prospects back for Necas… then it could be Hronek to another spot for those assets.  (Not that I think Necas should be our #1 target, just that he is in the rumours).

I wouldn't be surprised to see Carolina deal with Buffalo, or see the Sabres extend Necas

If the Canes want picks and prospects so as to free up cap space than Buffalo has em

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Carolina deal with Buffalo, or see the Sabres extend Necas

If the Canes want picks and prospects so as to free up cap space than Buffalo has em

I wonder if Carolina is miffed at us over Petey? maybe they think we played them to force Petey to the table, and now we're being told to go pound sand on a Necas-Hronek deal?

JR hates pics, especially first rounders. 
‘Couldn’t see us as trading partners anyway, we are looking for same thing. 
‘That Skinner contract was one of the dumbest FA signings ever. Giving that much money to a soft, fragile winger was nuts. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I wonder if Carolina is miffed at us over Petey? maybe they think we played them to force Petey to the table, and now we're being told to go pound sand on a Necas-Hronek deal?

Wouldn't surprise me, but moving Pettersson for Necas+ would have been a good trade for them, despite the guff Pettersson has gotten post-playoffs. 

It could also be they have similar concerns regarding Hronek as some of the posters around here, or that they're more interested in other RD. Their right side is in flux, Pesce may be gone and Burns will be up after this season (though he may be extended if he continues to be effective), but that also opens up an opportunity for a younger RD such as Morrow. They could also take a look at Heimosalmi. 

Orlov and Slavin are up after this coming season too, though I expect Slavin will be retained the same way Skjei will probabl be retained. Canes don't currently have any commitments on D, and while that may worry some Cane fans if also means they've got a fair bit of flexibility. 

It's not as if Hronek is the only RD option out there who might be dangled for Necas, seems like half the league has checked in on him. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Wouldn't surprise me, but moving Pettersson for Necas+ would have been a good trade for them, despite the guff Pettersson has gotten post-playoffs. 

It could also be they have similar concerns regarding Hronek as some of the posters around here, or that they're more interested in other RD. Their right side is in flux, Pesce may be gone and Burns will be up after this season (though he may be extended if he continues to be effective), but that also opens up an opportunity for a younger RD such as Morrow. They could also take a look at Heimosalmi. 

Orlov and Slavin are up after this coming season too, though I expect Slavin will be retained the same way Skjei will probabl be retained. Canes don't currently have any commitments on D, and while that may worry some Cane fans if also means they've got a fair bit of flexibility. 

It's not as if Hronek is the only RD option out there who might be dangled for Necas, seems like half the league has checked in on him. 

Apparently they’ve begun extension talks with Slavin 

24 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

feels like apples to oranges. Carolina reaching out to trade for a superstar young center is different then us reaching out to trade a top 4 D we are hesitant to pay. 

• ThereItIs 1

I look as this as competition for top 6 wingers

buffalo has a stable of Defencemen and will be looking for scoring and potentially a goalie this offseason but likely using the pick to bring in a left winger.

10 minutes ago, Johnny said:

I look as this as competition for top 6 wingers

buffalo has a stable of Defencemen and will be looking for scoring and potentially a goalie this offseason but likely using the pick to bring in a left winger.

The may have a stable of defencemen, but almost all of them shoot left.  They have Clifton and Jokijarju that shoot right. 

27 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Apparently they’ve begun extension talks with Slavin 

That'd make a lot of sense, him and Skjei are likely keepers 

Carolina is generally cagey around vets but if they're going to keep a couple D it may as well be them 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

The may have a stable of defencemen, but almost all of them shoot left.  They have Clifton and Jokijarju that shoot right. 

I doubt with pesche roy demalo and tanev all hitting the market they use their first on a dman especially when their left side is stacked

also having 2 handsomely paid dmen as it is bringing in Hronek and his 8 mil is too much

PS, not sure if you are suggesting trading Hronek for their first, just stating why defence isnt an area to use their first to improve

1 minute ago, Johnny said:

I doubt with pesche roy demalo and tanev all hitting the market they use their first on a dman especially when their left side is stacked

also having 2 handsomely paid dmen as it is bringing in Hronek and his 8 mil is too much

PS, not sure if you are suggesting trading Hronek for their first, just stating why defence isnt an area to use their first to improve

No, wasn't insinuating anything about Hronek.  Just saying Buffalo could really use a top tier RHD to add to their group.  Clifton and Jokiharju don't cut it when you have guys like Dahlin, Power, and Byram.  Although that's kinda what TBL has done in recent years... a very strong LHD group and complimentary RHD on each pair.

2 minutes ago, Bounce000 said:

1. Acquire Buffalo's first round pick

2. Have Ryan Kesler guest speak and announce the pick

3. Draft Tij Iginla

4. Angry Jerome Iginla activates

I'd be over the moon if we had Tij in the system. He is on track to become the single greatest player of our generation.

9 minutes ago, Bounce000 said:

1. Acquire Buffalo's first round pick

2. Have Ryan Kesler guest speak and announce the pick

3. Draft Tij Iginla

4. Angry Jerome Iginla activates

There is no way he would make it pass Calgary at 9 OA. He could go even earlier to one of Ottawa/Montreal (just a hunch).

I am not sure if Calgary drafting Tij would be the best for his development. Because he will always be compared to his father, and that could be a lot of pressure. If Calgary doesn't draft him, I could see him become a UFA one day and sign with the Flames when he is already an established player.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

No, wasn't insinuating anything about Hronek.  Just saying Buffalo could really use a top tier RHD to add to their group.  Clifton and Jokiharju don't cut it when you have guys like Dahlin, Power, and Byram.  Although that's kinda what TBL has done in recent years... a very strong LHD group and complimentary RHD on each pair.

I really dont understand trading Middlestadt for a left side dman

sure Cozins is looking like he could be a serviceable second line center in time and Middlestadt might have wanted too much but they didnt really fill a need with that trade

turning Byrom into a top 6 scoring winger or top pairing RHD might be very difficult given his concussion history

you have to wonder, maybe they look at Cernak with picks?

So here's my obligatory Gillis vs Allvin comparison...

Allvin has essentially replicated many of Gillis' successes. Both Gillis and Allvin not only inherited a good core, but almost all his players did well, season and playoffs. It is perhaps my romantic memory that feels Gillis had more players that we would remember fondly for their performances: Aaron Rome, Lapierre, etc.

While Allvin is playing a dangerous game with trading picks, Allvin so far looks like he is a far better drafter. As much as I HATE trading draft picks, I think Allvin is somewhat able to acquire players without senselessly throwing away picks. Gillis gave away a a ton of 2nd round picks (i.e. Derek Roy).

I think Allvin needs to cool down on trading away picks. There's room to develop our own players - it's how Tampa does it (generally speaking).

21 minutes ago, RJCF96 said:

There is no way he would make it pass Calgary at 9 OA. He could go even earlier to one of Ottawa/Montreal (just a hunch).

I am not sure if Calgary drafting Tij would be the best for his development. Because he will always be compared to his father, and that could be a lot of pressure. If Calgary doesn't draft him, I could see him become a UFA one day and sign with the Flames when he is already an established player.

Agreed, Flames fans will be "Iginla or we riot" mode come the draft

23 minutes ago, Johnny said:

I really dont understand trading Middlestadt for a left side dman

sure Cozins is looking like he could be a serviceable second line center in time and Middlestadt might have wanted too much but they didnt really fill a need with that trade

turning Byrom into a top 6 scoring winger or top pairing RHD might be very difficult given his concussion history

you have to wonder, maybe they look at Cernak with picks?

Yeah it was a bit of an odd move... especially when you have Power and Dahlin already.  Unless like I mentioned, maybe they're gonna build a very strong LHD side so they don't need to worry as much about the RHD.

2 hours ago, Nucker67 said:

2013 - X

2014 - Kapanen

...JR hired as GM

2015 - X

2016 - X

2017 - X

2018 - X

2019 - Poulin

2020 - X

...Allvin hired as GM

2021 - X

2022 - Pickering

2023 - Yager

So they will follow the same thing each new team he goes to, and doesn't learn from experience?

If he was in win now mode both of our 1st rounders in 2025, and 2026 would be gone.

Explain why Burke traded two first round picks and a 2nd round pick for Kessel then? That's not the wheeling and dealing results we've seen in his past.

Not every GM is going to do the same moves. There's a lot more voices in management as well.

9 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

Allvin has essentially replicated many of Gillis' successes. Both Gillis and Allvin not only inherited a good core, but almost all his players did well, season and playoffs. It is perhaps my romantic memory that feels Gillis had more players that we would remember fondly for their performances: Aaron Rome, Lapierre, etc.

While Allvin is playing a dangerous game with trading picks, Allvin so far looks like he is a far better drafter. As much as I HATE trading draft picks, I think Allvin is somewhat able to acquire players without senselessly throwing away picks. Gillis gave away a a ton of 2nd round picks (i.e. Derek Roy).

I think Allvin needs to cool down on trading away picks. There's room to develop our own players - it's how Tampa does it (generally speaking).

While I agree that players need to step up from the system to be successful for a longer period I also see the need for now to use pucks to secure players who can contribute 

right now we need to establish our F core for a long enough term to allow our picks to mature properly, this will happen with smart cap allocation and free agency

our top 6 wingers need a long term upgrade. IMO Toffoli can be a stop gap/luxury until Lek makes the jump but finding a guy in the 45-60 point range with offensive and defensive awareness would be brilliant and would allow the club to build its prospect pool up again. If he was under contract at a good caphit it would cost picks.

In 2 years I would think that Allvin will stock the cupboards again

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

Way too early to tell with Allvin's picks. Back then we were singing praises for Gillis's drafting too. Hodgson and Schroeder seemed like can't miss prospects. The difference is Gillis actually should have traded picks more often to put us over the top. Whether our team is good enough to do that now is yet to be seen but since we already have an established core, why not? 

• Cheers 1