[Speculation] Report: Buffalo Sabres open to trading 2024 first-round pick

3 hours ago, Johnny said:

While I agree that players need to step up from the system to be successful for a longer period I also see the need for now to use pucks to secure players who can contribute 

right now we need to establish our F core for a long enough term to allow our picks to mature properly, this will happen with smart cap allocation and free agency

our top 6 wingers need a long term upgrade. IMO Toffoli can be a stop gap/luxury until Lek makes the jump but finding a guy in the 45-60 point range with offensive and defensive awareness would be brilliant and would allow the club to build its prospect pool up again. If he was under contract at a good caphit it would cost picks.

In 2 years I would think that Allvin will stock the cupboards again

I agree with this approach. We just can't be handing out draft picks like the Gillis era did (yes, they were pushing for playoffs), but they neglected the drafting and development side of their job. That's the cautionary tale that I hoped to draw from the past.

3 hours ago, AK-19 said:

Way too early to tell with Allvin's picks. Back then we were singing praises for Gillis's drafting too. Hodgson and Schroeder seemed like can't miss prospects. The difference is Gillis actually should have traded picks more often to put us over the top. Whether our team is good enough to do that now is yet to be seen but since we already have an established core, why not? 

I understand. Gillis' trades and signings were GENERALLY good. There were some that were just plain awful in hindsight, but people seem to cling onto the idea of "playoff success" while downplaying the failures of that regime.

I was VERY high on Shinkaruk. I do believe that if he wasn't injured, he could've turned into an excellent pick. However, there were many many picks that Gillis made that were just indefensible. We just cannot have that happen again. By the time Gillis was fired, the Canucks prospect pool was so TERRIBLE and fans who were still fooled by the "playoff runs" would fail to realize the consequences of a very reckless GM. I once criticized Allvin's approach, but SO FAR (and this is very early), Allvin has been seemingly doing a good job to balance everything.

We want playoff runs, but we also want our homegrown talents to succeed as well. We NEED them to succeed, otherwise you'll end up with a barren prospect pool and a forced rebuild.

• Like 1