[Speculation] Insider: Offers To Be “Pouring In” For Chris Tanev; Days in Dallas Numbered?

Insider: Offers To Be “Pouring In” For Chris Tanev; Days in Dallas Numbered?

Dave Litman 

Thursday, June 06, 2024

One of the big questions around the Dallas Stars this offseason is 'How hard is it going to be for them to keep Chris Tanev after his tremendous late season and playoff performance?'

Back at the trade deadline, one of the main concerns of acquiring the 34-year-old was the fact that his kamikaze style of play, recklessly blocking shots with abandon, made him an injury risk. After all, he'd only played one full season (70 or more games) in his previous eight years due to an assortment of injuries. 

But that concern has been dispelled, particularly after he was forced out of Game 4 of the Conference Finals against the Edmonton Oilers after taking a hard shot off his foot and leaving the arena in a walking boot, only to go ahead and play in Game 5 two days later.  

Insider Elliotte Friedman told Jeff Marek on his podcast this week that Tanev's price in free agency is skyrocketing.

“A (rival) team just said to me that nothing that Tanev did for the Dallas Stars in the playoffs convinced anyone that he was risky. Another team told me that he thinks the offers are going to be pouring in, and he wonders if Dallas is going to get pushed into a place it's not going to be comfortable with.”

While Friedman goes on to say that when the Stars acquired Tanev from the Calgary Flames, it was a "pure rental" from the player's point of view, it turns out that he really enjoyed his time there, and of course the Stars saw first-hand what a warrior he is and what a difference he can make.

After blocking 207 shots in the regular season, he added a ridiculous 73 in 19 playoff games, 50% more blocks than any other player, save for Jacob Trouba, who was one back. 

Tanev is coming off a 4-year, $4.5 million AAV deal. He's being projected to get a 3-year deal worth at least in the same range. His value to the Stars blueline was clearly evident, and as a right-shot D, he becomes even more imperative for them to prioritize. How high will they go, cap-wise, is the big question. 

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/06/insider-offers-to-be-pouring-in-for.html

50 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Too much $ for a 34yo that blocks that many shots.  It's just a matter of when, and not if, he gets injured.  You absolutely need reliability and durability for the playoffs.  Being solid for 2 round is not enough.  There's 4 rounds to win a Cup.

Agree wholeheartedly with this. It is a matter of when at 34. Too much $.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Too much $ for a 34yo that blocks that many shots.  It's just a matter of when, and not if, he gets injured.  You absolutely need reliability and durability for the playoffs.  Being solid for 2 round is not enough.  There's 4 rounds to win a Cup.

Not necessarily arguing one way or the other in terms of signing Tanev but would he need to block as many shots outside the PK if slotted next to QH? Would spend more time on offense than defense 5v5.

Tanev would also allow the Canucks to pay Hronek and have him drive his own pairing with Soucy. If mgmt believes Hronek can do that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Not necessarily arguing one way or the other in terms of signing Tanev but would he need to block as many shots outside the PK if slotted next to QH? Would spend more time on offense than defense 5v5.

Tanev would also allow the Canucks to pay Hronek and have him drive his own pairing with Soucy. If mgmt believes Hronek can do that.

I think he spent a fair chunk of time with Heiskanen too... yet he still has a ton of blocked shots.  I suspect even next to QH, he would still block a lot... then there's the PK time where he would block a ton too.

• ThereItIs 1

I’m ok with not being part of the bidding war. Would love him at a discount, won’t hold my breath. 

would love to get Lybushkin and keep Hronek. 

Hughes-Hronek

soucy-Myers

?-Lybushkin

juulsen 

That looks mighty fine to me. If we sign Dillon, that looks like a contender-level d corps 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I’m ok with not being part of the bidding war. Would love him at a discount, won’t hold my breath. 

would love to get Lybushkin and keep Hronek. 

Hughes-Hronek

soucy-Myers

?-Lybushkin

juulsen 

That looks mighty fine to me. If we sign Dillon, that looks like a contender-level d corps 

That's the path I want us to go down too... Myers and Lyubushkin could probably be signed for a combined $6M in total.  That bottom pair LHD spot could possibly be filled with a $2M guy considering how many UFA defencemen are available this year.  Would save a lot of cap to be used for forward help, which is where we need it most.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

It is also a bit disingenuous to say he only played one full season… he played the full seasons in the shortened Covid years, there just weren’t more games to be played.

I really hope he wants to come back here and Hughes is giving him some friendly pressure.  

Him missing 10-20 games isn’t a worry, it actually works as we have some guys like D. Petey, Hirose, and Woo who should be given some spot duty during the year to see how they manage.

Posted (edited)

Not sure why he hasn't done the Craig Ludwig and taped boards all over his body yet.    Some places can't be protected even with the armour guys wear today.   I'd rather have someone who can play the game like Salo could; and roll the dice.   Salo was a very good hockey player too.   Tanev has made a career out of his "toughness" 

Edited by IBatch

On 6/6/2024 at 10:43 AM, HKSR said:

I think he spent a fair chunk of time with Heiskanen too... yet he still has a ton of blocked shots.  I suspect even next to QH, he would still block a lot... then there's the PK time where he would block a ton too.

Heiskanen is a good player but he doesn’t control the game like Hughes. Hughes posses the puck way more than Heiskanen. Tanev would spend way less time defending with Hughes for his partner. 

Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2024 at 6:22 PM, Provost said:

It is also a bit disingenuous to say he only played one full season… he played the full seasons in the shortened Covid years, there just weren’t more games to be played.

I really hope he wants to come back here and Hughes is giving him some friendly pressure.  

Him missing 10-20 games isn’t a worry, it actually works as we have some guys like D. Petey, Hirose, and Woo who should be given some spot duty during the year to see how they manage.

Nope it's not.  He's 34 and most of his career was pre-covid.    And he barely played for us in the post season.   The "bubble" was injured before the season stopped.   And it was reported he would be "iffy" by the playoffs that year too, in other words if we sneaked in (and were nosediving, even with Toffoli, Brock was also out) his availability was in question with regular scheduling.      Don't have the same sentimentality.   That comes with age I guess.    We need to look forward, not backward. 

Edited by IBatch

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Heiskanen is a good player but he doesn’t control the game like Hughes. Hughes posses the puck way more than Heiskanen. Tanev would spend way less time defending with Hughes for his partner. 

Heiskenan doesn't play with Tanev, as in he barely has any games with Tanev; he  was a trade deadline thing.   As for QHs they are very different players.    Heiskanen reminds me of Lidstrom.   Nothing to see, just a smooth operator. 

Edited by IBatch

9 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Nope it's not.  He's 34 and most of his career was pre-covid.    And he barely played for us in the post season.   The "bubble" was injured before the season stopped.   And it was reported he would be "iffy" by the playoffs that year too, in other words if we sneaked in (and were nosediving, even with Toffoli, Brock was also out) his availability was in question with regular scheduling.      Don't have the same sentimentality.   That comes with age I guess.    We need to look forward, not backward. 

Puck was also in our own end the whole time he played in Vancouver he shouldn’t have to deal with even half the shot block attempts now especially with Hughes as a partner  I personally would welcome Tanev and motte back for reunions but no one else 

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Heiskenan doesn't play with Tanev.   He was a trade deadline thing.   As for QHs they are very different players.    Heiskanen reminds me of Lidstrom.   Nothing to see, just a smooth operator.  No big hits, and a great first pass.    Minus maybe the shot that's about it. 

Hughes controls the puck (has it on his stick) more than any other player on the league. Heiskanen is a good player but he doesn’t control the game like Hughes. Lidstrom was a lot more like Hughes than Heiskanen. Tanev was with Heiskanen in the playoffs. And when Tanev was out Heiskanen was exposed. Stars should do whatever it takes to keep Tanev as Heiskanen’s baby sitter. 

Embracethehate! 🙃

I may be in the minority here but I think Tanev is overrated. Hughes can make any schlub look serviceable and average player look like an allstar. Why spend 4+ mil on the aging ghost of Chris Tanev? 

• ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hughes controls the puck (has it on his stick) more than any other player on the league. Heiskanen is a good player but he doesn’t control the game like Hughes. Lidstrom was a lot more like Hughes than Heiskanen. Tanev was with Heiskanen in the playoffs. And when Tanev was out Heiskanen was exposed. Stars should do whatever it takes to keep Tanev as Heiskanen’s baby sitter. 

Embracethehate! 🙃

QHs verus Bouchard this playoffs, would like to see how @aGENTand others quantify that.   Having watched guys like Housley, Borque, Coffey, Chelios, Potvin, Robinson and eveyone since, have a tough time with this.   Tanev.   Have a tough time with that too, 2011,  CAL series, bubble.   Most of the time, he was just Edler's wingman, and as soon as Edler had all the responsibility, won the Green jacket.    There are plenty of guys i've watched play for the Canucks D that were as tough as nails.   And a lot of D's who had more to offer then just that and some safe dependable play.    Was Heiskanen saddled with Tanev?  Doubt that it was the other way. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fuzzy said:

I may be in the minority here but I think Tanev is overrated. Hughes can make any schlub look serviceable and average player look like an allstar. Why spend 4+ mil on the aging ghost of Chris Tanev? 

open your eyes and ears. look at how every single teammate, coach and manager he's ever had raves about him. 

this isn't a videogame. character matters. chris tanev is the epitome of the professional you want in the dressing room. 

how are canucks fans still so blind to what they had for a decade?

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, tas said:

open your eyes and ears. look at how every single teammate, coach and manager he's ever had raves about him. 

this isn't a videogame. character matters. chris tanev is the epitome of the professional you want in the dressing room. 

how are canucks fans still so blind to what they had for a decade?

Who would you, remove from our D-corp or forward group, to add Tanev at  5 x 2.   That's the ask.   Or the expected value.   And would you bet he'd actually be available to win a cup.    If he can't do it with Dallas, it doesn't make a lot of sense he's going to do it with us.     It's like Salo in 2011.  35, when he plays our team gets a boost.    At least that's how I see it anyways.    And don't hold the same sentimentality towards either of these guys that others seem to have.    Like bringing back Edler for one more go around.   

Edited by IBatch
  • ThereItIs 1