[Speculation] Insider: Offers To Be “Pouring In” For Chris Tanev; Days in Dallas Numbered?

5 hours ago, RWJC said:

Atlantic Division Team Making "Hard Push" For Chris Tanev 

Dave Litman Saturday, June 08, 2024 

After his gutsy playoff performance further cemented his warrior status on the blueline, Chris Tanev will be in demand this offseason as an unrestricted free agent—if the Dallas Stars don't somehow find a way to re-sign him before July 1st.  

Our recent report earlier this week noted that the offers will be "pouring in" for Tanev, and now we're hearing that one of them could be from the Ottawa Senators, who aren't giving up the chase for Tanev.  

Bruce Garrioch wrote in the Ottawa Citizen this week that the Sens will be targeting Tanev, which is consistent with the "hard push" they made for him back in January from the Calgary Flames. The understanding is that he wouldn't waive his no-trade clause to go to Ottawa at the time. At his advanced age (in hockey terms, of course), it's expected that Tanev would want to go to a Stanley Cup contender. 

One new wrinkle that could make Tanev soften his stance on Ottawa, however, is that he was a trusted d-man in Vancouver under then Canucks-coach and new Senators head coach Travis Green for several years. Ottawa is still in need of another solid veteran right-shot defenseman, and their interest in Tanev hasn't waned at all since January. 

First, though, it all depends on what Dallas is able to come up in talks to keep the shot-blocking blueliner. He stated after the season that he loved his time in Big D and would like to stay, so the first move is Dallas's. If they fall short, as Garrioch says, "the Senators will make a push."

Tanev blocked over 200 shots this past season, and still leads the Stanley Cup playoffs this year with an incredible 73 blocks in 19 games. He was a vital fixture in the Stars' top-four on defense for their playoff run.

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/06/atlantic-division-team-making-hard-push.html

Typical Green, going after guys that used to play for him. I've got nothing against Tanev. In fact, I really like what he's done, but Green... does he REALLY think he's one Tanev away from changing that team who has been a bottom feeder for quite some time? I don't know. I feel like Ottawa is going to overpay Tanev, which is fine. It's just going to be another Calgary situation.

Sadly I don't think he's the answer, he'll play half the regular season and if we're lucky, healthy for some playoff games. He's too old now let's be honest, time to move on, but if he wants 1-2M that would make things interesting. Problem is we're going to have Myers back who will play that 17-18 minute a night role.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Sadly I don't think he's the answer, he'll play half the regular season and if we're lucky, healthy for some playoff games. He's too old now let's be honest, time to move on, but if he wants 1-2M that would make things interesting. Problem is we're going to have Myers back who will play that 17-18 minute a night role.

If the stars align PA is able to resign Meyers and Zad at reasonable money. The question then becomes Hronek and whether Van needs a new 1RD to replace him. Meyers can still play 2RD. Zad pushed for consideration for 2LD when Soucy went down. I like the options for the bottom pairing. If Hronek had not faded to an extent I would be more positive on him. Not high on a big # to retain him. Hronek/Hughes had trouble in their own zone many times. Perhaps a heavier partner is needed? 

Tanev is as you say just getting to old. The TOI he consumes could be spent on a younger player who matures into a reliable defender.  

WE should not sell what Van has to offer short. Many players would love to play with the core in Vancouver. 

Edited by Boudrias

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2024 at 1:51 AM, PureQuickness said:

Typical Green, going after guys that used to play for him. I've got nothing against Tanev. In fact, I really like what he's done, but Green... does he REALLY think he's one Tanev away from changing that team who has been a bottom feeder for quite some time? I don't know. I feel like Ottawa is going to overpay Tanev, which is fine. It's just going to be another Calgary situation.

So if it's "typical" will we be seeing him go after the Lotto line while he's at it?    Didn't have many options when he was here, especially on D.    Edler Tanev was arguably the worst or one of the worst medium/long term top pairing  i've watched on the team (it would have been fine if we had another pairing like them, by committee, we didn't though, why some minus magnet seasons).   QHs was very "Green",  QHs Tanev was better though.  Green's got to work with what he's got.    Ottawa is a better roster than he had in Vancouver aside from goaltending.    

As far as OTT goes,  if it's true that they would consider moving Zub, it makes sense to target Tanev.  Also makes sense to add to their team and spend to the cap.     Would anyone be "surprised" to see OTT move up the ranks next season?   They shouldn't be IF they can find adequate goaltending.   They were a team who lost a lot of close games.   Not sure what "system" Green will implement, expect it to look a lot like Tochett's.    OTT players are built for this style of play. 

, of course, would be a good add to any teams D-corp, depth or otherwise.   OTT was afflicted with some of the worst goaltending in the league, not sure how they will address that, adding Tanev wouldn't hurt though. 

20 hours ago, IBatch said:

So if it's "typical" will we be seeing him go after the Lotto line while he's at it?    Didn't have many options when he was here, especially on D.    Edler Tanev was arguably the worst or one of the worst medium/long term top pairing  i've watched on the team (it would have been fine if we had another pairing like them, by committee, we didn't though, why some minus magnet seasons).   QHs was very "Green",  QHs Tanev was better though.  Green's got to work with what he's got.    Ottawa is a better roster than he had in Vancouver aside from goaltending.    

As far as OTT goes,  if it's true that they would consider moving Zub, it makes sense to target Tanev.  Also makes sense to add to their team and spend to the cap.     Would anyone be "surprised" to see OTT move up the ranks next season?   They shouldn't be IF they can find adequate goaltending.   They were a team who lost a lot of close games.   Not sure what "system" Green will implement, expect it to look a lot like Tochett's.    OTT players are built for this style of play. 

, of course, would be a good add to any teams D-corp, depth or otherwise.   OTT was afflicted with some of the worst goaltending in the league, not sure how they will address that, adding Tanev wouldn't hurt though. 

So Green is going back to a parallel type of situation.

• Cheers 1

Update:

Chris Tanev is looking to cash in on a solid 2023-24 NHL season as Jonas Siegel and James Mirtle of The Athletic (Subscription Required) report the veteran defenseman is looking for a four-year contract this offseason. The veteran defenseman is already engaged in contract discussions with the Dallas Stars on a new deal, but it is unknown how long the organization is willing to go on his next contract. If Tanev makes it to the open market, plenty of defensive-needy teams will be interested in his services, but the pack may thin out if teams are unwilling to make that long of an arrangement.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/06/free-agency-notes-stamkos-stephenson-toronto-tanev-teravainen.html#ref=home

29 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Update:

Chris Tanev is looking to cash in on a solid 2023-24 NHL season as Jonas Siegel and James Mirtle of The Athletic (Subscription Required) report the veteran defenseman is looking for a four-year contract this offseason. The veteran defenseman is already engaged in contract discussions with the Dallas Stars on a new deal, but it is unknown how long the organization is willing to go on his next contract. If Tanev makes it to the open market, plenty of defensive-needy teams will be interested in his services, but the pack may thin out if teams are unwilling to make that long of an arrangement.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/06/free-agency-notes-stamkos-stephenson-toronto-tanev-teravainen.html#ref=home

I love Tanev, but don't want to sign him to 4 years when he is already 34. Good luck Tanman, you deserve to be paid.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RJCF96 said:

I love Tanev, but don't want to sign him to 4 years when he is already 34. Good luck Tanman, you deserve to be paid.

It's negotiating, you always start high. He wants 4, teams will want 2, they'll probably settle on 3.

And even if it is 4, we'll have Willander on an ELC for the last 3 years countering that. Tanev 3rd pair at +/- $5, with Willander on an ELC and a rising cap. Still not an issue.

5 minutes ago, RJCF96 said:

4 years? I'd say no deal unless he agrees to 7. 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, RWJC said:

Update:

I think he ends up in Toronto, maybe Ottawa 

15 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Tanev’s ask right now is apparently a 4x4 deal. 

I'd do this. 

Hughes- Hronek/Dad

Soucy-Hronek/Dad

Z-Myers 

We'd be out on JG but maybe thats not ever going to be our choice anyway. 

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'd do this. 

Hughes- Hronek/Dad

Soucy-Hronek/Dad

Z-Myers 

We'd be out on JG but maybe thats not ever going to be our choice anyway. 

Tanev is 34 (35 in Dec). I’d only offer him a 1 year deal at a higher AAV, then next season when it’s available and if it’s warranted, sign him to a performance bonus laden deal (especially for games played) with a significant signing bonus as percentage and give him 2-3 years on that. If we’re going to pursue him, that’s the safest option, imho. 

3 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Tanev is 34 (35 in Dec). I’d only offer him a 1 year deal at a higher AAV, then next season when it’s available and if it’s warranted, sign him to a performance bonus laden deal (especially for games played) with a significant signing bonus as percentage and give him 2-3 years on that. If we’re going to pursue him, that’s the safest option, imho. 

ah screw safe. Dads in great shape, the players love him. 

14 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

ah screw safe. Dads in great shape, the players love him. 

It’s not about his durability. It’s about flexibility for the club. 

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Ageist. 

Hockey fan with a history of not liking deals that take players into their later 30's doesn't want team to sign a fan favourite to a deal that'd take him into his later 30's..

giphy.webp

• Haha 1

IF Tanev wants to come back and wants a shot at a cup coming to Canada his choices are either Van, Edm, or Toronto. Out of those, Van or Toronto are the most suitable imo. If all he wants is money to end his career then that's fine but it won't happen here. I'd bring him back on a 2x4 or 1x5 if he would take it. We can't be offering 34 year olds 3-4 year deals. Signing Tanev + Zadorov takes us out of the Guentzal race but it buys us flexibility come the TDL for maaaaaybe Crosby if he'd go for it. Otherwise there is an interesting list of UFAs next year. Rantanen, Crosby, Marner, Tavares, Boeser, Draisatl, Ekblad etc. Some big names but obviously no all will go to UFA.