[Speculation] Maple Leafs, Predators Linked To Brett Pesce

Maple Leafs, Predators Linked To Brett Pesce

June 6th, 2024 at 1:00pm CST • By Josh Erickson

Expect the Maple Leafs and Predators to be two of the top suitors for Hurricanes defenseman Brett Pesce if he hits the open market next month, The Fourth Period’s David Pagnotta reports.

The Hurricanes are still attempting to extend Pesce after general manager Don Waddellresigned last month, but they haven’t been close to a deal since discussions started last summer. In fact, most believed he would be traded last summer to avoid losing him for nothing at the end of this season, but they took him off the trade block during training camp and decided to continue negotiations.

Recent reports around Pesce’s pending free agency suggest more of the same. Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman believed the Canes were holding firm at an offer of around $5MM annually on a five-year deal that Pesce wasn’t willing to accept.

Nashville was one of the teams interested in acquiring him when he was made available for trade last summer, Pagnotta notes, so it’s of no surprise to see them linked to Pesce again. They’re looking for a top-four defender to replace Ryan McDonagh, whom they traded back to the Lightning last month after acquiring him from Tampa in the 2022 offseason.

Pesce would be a similar stylistic fit, but unlike McDonagh, he’s a right-shot. That gives him a greater potential of sliding upward in the lineup to play alongside captain Roman Josi, also a left-shot, on the team’s top pairing.

He’s used to heavy usage, averaging over 20 minutes per game for eight straight seasons. The 29-year-old is coming off a down year offensively with only three goals and 13 points in 70 games, but his career averages suggest the two-way blue-liner is more of a 25-to-30-point producer over a full season.

The New York native has earned sparse Norris consideration in the past, receiving votes in 2018 and 2020. His possession numbers are still strong, controlling 54.4% of shot attempts at even strength throughout his career. He’s also had an expected goals share north of 50% for the past four years, per Hockey Reference.

It’s no surprise to see Toronto engaged in Pesce rumors, either. They’ll be in on nearly all of the top defensemen on this summer’s UFA market, but especially right-shots. Ideally, second-year GM Brad Treliving is looking for a stable partner for top offensive blue liner Morgan Rielly, who’s had a rotating cast of shutdown partners over the past few seasons.

The Leafs lack puck-movers outside of Rielly among their defense corps, and while it’s not a hallmark of Pesce’s game, he would be a small upgrade over Jake McCabe and the outgoing T.J. Brodie in that regard. He’s eclipsed 20 assists four times in his career, including a career-high 25 helpers in 2022-23.

Evolving Hockey’s contract projections peg Pesce to land a six-year, $5.5MM AAV deal on the open market, slightly lengthier and richer than his rumored extension offer in Carolina. That would be feasible for both the Leafs and Preds, who enter the offseason with a decent amount of salary cap flexibility.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/06/maple-leafs-predators-linked-to-brett-pesce.html#ref=home

Leafs are gonna have to go ALL IN for this coming season knowing it might be Marner and Tavares final year.  They have Woll at under $800k for goaltending right now.  If they really strengthen their D core, Woll might be enough. 

Leafs adding Pesce and say Walker or Roy would give them a much more respectable D group.  Could be enough to get them through a round or two in the playoffs.

Reilly-Pesce

McCabe-Walker

Benoit-Liljegren

They've got $18.5M to work with.

11 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

I don't get how some people are against a clear fit like Hronek yet want to blow ther wad on this guy. 

I’m with you. I take Hronek over pesce without hesitation.

i hope the leafs overpay 

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

I don't get how some people are against a clear fit like Hronek yet want to blow ther wad on this guy. 

It's the cost difference:  5.5 mil for Pesce versus 7.5 or 8 mil for Hronek.  Not saying that moving on from Hronek is the right move, but his higher price is why there's a debate.  Lots of other good players on our roster who we also want to re-sign and only so much money to go around.

18 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Its Hroneks projected cap hit

if we could replace his minutes with a 5 million dollar man the could free up 3 million to use for Zadorov and Lindholm

Plus the trade return we would get

also, the stats have shown that Hronek was a huge beneficiary of Hughes and that Hughes had better advanced numbers playing with other dmen

IMO Hronek is a 6.5-7 million dollar defenceman. But the word is he wants 8+

1 hour ago, Johnny said:

Its Hroneks projected cap hit

if we could replace his minutes with a 5 million dollar man the could free up 3 million to use for Zadorov and Lindholm

Plus the trade return we would get

also, the stats have shown that Hronek was a huge beneficiary of Hughes and that Hughes had better advanced numbers playing with other dmen

IMO Hronek is a 6.5-7 million dollar defenceman. But the word is he wants 8+

You get what you pay for the cost difference is because you're getting a lesser player. 

2 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

It's the cost difference:  5.5 mil for Pesce versus 7.5 or 8 mil for Hronek.  Not saying that moving on from Hronek is the right move, but his higher price is why there's a debate.  Lots of other good players on our roster who we also want to re-sign and only so much money to go around.

Those are high estimates for Hronek I'm betting he comes in less than that. Even so I would take Hronek at low 7 over Pesce at mid to high 5 

12 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Those are high estimates for Hronek I'm betting he comes in less than that. Even so I would take Hronek at low 7 over Pesce at mid to high 5 

Sure, I probably would too.  If we're moving on from Hronek and letting Hughes carry that pairing on his own, I'd expect Allvin would aim lower than Pesce, maybe Walker or Lybushkin, so as to get some real salary savings. 

• Cheers 1

Call me crazy, but I'd rather have both Pesce and Hronek. Instead of one or the other. 7m for Hronek and 5.5m for Pesce. Roughly 11-12mil to fill holes in the rest of the roster. Maybe more if management can work the miracle of trading Mikheyev.

3 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

You get what you pay for the cost difference is because you're getting a lesser player. 

Not necessarily lesser player, different, but point getters earn more.

12 hours ago, R3aL said:

I’m with you. I take Hronek over pesce without hesitation.

i hope the leafs overpay 

Depends on what you value in a dman I guess.