Rick Ball, the new play by play guy for the Hawks.

I wish he was still in the Vancouver market.

Had a good radio show, and did quite well with play by play for Lions, and relief work on Nucks games

The radio show where he and Brett Butt had a head measuring contest, was epic. 🙂

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

I think he is the best in the business.

John Shorthouse is the best in the business. Rick Ball is really really good, but not Shorthouse good.

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

Had a good radio show, and did quite well with play by play for Lions, and relief work on Nucks games

The radio show where he and Brett Butt had a head measuring contest, was epic. 🙂

I remember Brett’s line from that show (with Rick Ball and producer Darryl Weiner) “First time in radio history that you’ve got Ball, Butt & Weiner.”

So I’m childish…

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Gurn said:

I remember listening to that. It was absolutely hilarious!! Didn't rick lose by like a 1/4 inch or something?

• Like 1

Great move for Rick. He’s steadily climbed the ladder for 30 years to reach this pinnacle. 

I remember years ago he used to do the sports on radio in Kelowna…OV 63 it might have been. When he left there  to work in Vancouver certain radio “personalities” in Kelowna were laughing about his looks and how he was bound to flop. Bad move they said. I believe they are flipping burgers at Dairy Queen now while Rick has reached the top of his profession. Congratulations to him. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Compared to Calgary?  Not even close.

In Calgary hockey is number one. Likely a million plus fans in the area. In Chicago hockey is behind football (all levels) baseball, basketball (all levels) and then maybe there’s hockey. There might be 50,000 good hockey fans in the Chicago area. No US city has hockey fans like up here. Ball might get paid more down there but that doesn’t make the market better. Plus, F the Hawks. They’re a sick franchise.

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

In Calgary hockey is number one. Likely a million plus fans in the area. In Chicago hockey is behind football (all levels) baseball, basketball (all levels) and then maybe there’s hockey. There might be 50,000 good hockey fans in the Chicago area. No US city has hockey fans like up here. Ball might get paid more down there but that doesn’t make the market better. Plus, F the Hawks. They’re a sick franchise.

You're really underrating just how good of a sports city Chicago is, let alone the difference in size. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Chicago= 2.75 million people

Calgary=  1.3  million

I'd say the population density outside of Chicago is way higher than it is outside Calgary as well.

Milwaukee also doesn't have a team and is within driving distance.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/7/2024 at 7:47 AM, Gurn said:

Chicago= 2.75 million people

Calgary=  1.3  million

I'd say the population density outside of Chicago is way higher than it is outside Calgary as well.

Bigger exposure, and better chance at getting national games. The guy is one of those rare play by play guys like Jim Robson, he can do Hockey and Football and do both equally well. He was a riot and the best part of 1040 as a host as well. He makes the rest of them (Outside of Don Taylor) look real weak. He's also really humble.

Best of luck Rick. CBC/Sportsnet was stupid not giving him more national games.

• Vintage 1