Mikheyev Buyout: If we Do, and If we Don't

HKSR

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

If it’s based on goal scoring, only 4/18 that hit 40 goals made less than 8.5m/season. With 9 of the 18 making at least 9m/season.  The average 40 goal scorer last year was paid 8.6m/season. 
  If Boeser hits 40 again you can guarantee the lowest his agent lets him go for would be 8m/season… because someone out there will offer 9-10… maybe even 11 if he becomes an UFA. 

That's only looking at 1 side of the equation.  How many assists and points did those guys put up? 

Here are your top 15 goal scorers last year.  Take note of the last column.  How many of those are 90+ point scorers?  It isn't the # of goals that drives the cap hits.  It's the overall production.  How much did Hyman and Marchessault make? 

Marchessault is due for a raise this offseason.  I guess we'll see what team offers him $9M, $10M, or even $11M as a UFA then eh?

image.thumb.png.6b4ad273c78bdedb54e2896fdc989728.png

Edited by HKSR

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, HKSR said:

That's only looking at 1 side of the equation.  How many assists and points did those guys put up? 

Here are your top 15 goal scorers last year.  Take note of the last column.  How many of those are 90+ point scorers?  It isn't the # of goals that drives the cap hits.  It's the overall production.  How much did Hyman and Marchessault make? 

Marchessault is due for a raise this offseason.  I guess we'll see what team offers him $9M, $10M, or even $11M as a UFA then eh?

image.thumb.png.6b4ad273c78bdedb54e2896fdc989728.png

Whatever he gets, expect Boeser to get 1-2 AAV higher as Marchessault has only ever hit above 30 goals once.  It seems as though you’re  new to hockey and the NHL in general, but teams pay for proven Goal scorers. Now you know. You’re welcome. 

Edited by Northern_Nuck

1 minute ago, Northern_Nuck said:

Whatever he gets, expect Boeser to get 1-2 AAV higher as Marchessault has only ever hit above 30 goals once.  It seems as though you’re  new to hockey and the NHL in general, but teams pay for proven Goal scorers. Now you know. You’re welcome. 

Lol, it's pretty clear you have NO idea how teams value players.  I wasn't gonna be mean about it, but since you decided to go on the offence first... you clearly have a very limited knowledge of valuation of players and cap hits. 

Boeser has only hit 30 goals or more ONCE in his career (THIS year).

Marchessault has hit the 30 goal mark 3 times in his career, and this year his highest total is 42 goals which is more than Boeser's best of 40 goals.

What world do you live in where:

1. You believe Boeser is worth $1M to $2M more than Marchessault;

2. You believe Boeser is worth up to $11M ????  LMAO!

I'm done here, I'll let other people laugh at your lack of knowledge instead.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Lol, it's pretty clear you have NO idea how teams value players.  I wasn't gonna be mean about it, but since you decided to go on the offence first... you clearly have a very limited knowledge of valuation of players and cap hits. 

Boeser has only hit 30 goals or more ONCE in his career (THIS year).

Marchessault has hit the 30 goal mark 3 times in his career, and this year his highest total is 42 goals which is more than Boeser's best of 40 goals.

What world do you live in where:

1. You believe Boeser is worth $1M to $2M more than Marchessault;

2. You believe Boeser is worth up to $11M ????  LMAO!

I'm done here, I'll let other people laugh at your lack of knowledge instead.

If you read what I said originally if he has another good season, he’ll be getting paid.  I don’t know why you’re so upset? I’d bet you haven’t even played jrs before, let alone low level Rep? It seems like your “knowledge” is limited to never have played real hockey at any level 🙂 

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Northern_Nuck said:

If you read what I said originally if he has another good season, he’ll be getting paid.  I don’t know why you’re so upset? I’d bet you haven’t even played jrs before, let alone low level Rep? It seems like your “knowledge” is limited to never have played real hockey at any level 🙂 

Lol, here you go... you can talk about your hockey experience here and how it translates to understanding simple numbers and sports economics:

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 2

16 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Lol, here you go... you can talk about your hockey experience here and how it translates to understanding simple numbers and sports economics:

I’m just buggin ya, I’m never too serious. I was just at work listening to sports talk one night last week and they were speculating that Boeser’s ask might be 9-10 if he repeats another 40 goal season and/or another good playoffs and maybe the Canucks should sell high for cap reasons. No more, no less. I could see a  team or two doing it 🤷🏻‍♂️ Tavares makes 11 and brings nothing special imo. I could see Dubas doing something that dumb again. 

19 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

I’m just buggin ya, I’m never too serious. I was just at work listening to sports talk one night last week and they were speculating that Boeser’s ask might be 9-10 if he repeats another 40 goal season and/or another good playoffs and maybe the Canucks should sell high for cap reasons. No more, no less. I could see a  team or two doing it 🤷🏻‍♂️ Tavares makes 11 and brings nothing special imo. I could see Dubas doing something that dumb again. 

Ok ill give you that.  There are some really dumb GMs in the league, especially when they're desperate.  We will have to wait and see how Boeser does next year.  Based on the numbers though, I think he will regress a bit unless he shoots the puck a lot more than he did this year.  Not banking on it considering how defensive Tocchet has this team playing though.

Not enough players. No way they run with 21 players.

On 6/6/2024 at 4:49 PM, fuzzy said:

I agree. Lindholm gives us more options in the future and keeps our center depth. There are always wingers available and if needed we can go after one at the deadline if none of those pan out. The cap will be rising significantly in the next few years so I would be less concerned about term and look for the right fit. 

I don't know how we could possibly afford to run 3 top 2 centers. Our wingers would suck and it would just be a repeat of the playoffs. I would not expect much from that group.

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Not enough players. No way they run with 21 players.

I don't know how we could possibly afford to run 3 top 2 centers. Our wingers would suck and it would just be a repeat of the playoffs. I would not expect much from that group.

If we let Lindy go what about trading Garland to the Islanders for Pageau? Similar contracts and we get a checking 3C. Then get the winger for Petey. 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If we let Lindy go what about trading Garland to the Islanders for Pageau? Similar contracts and we get a checking 3C. Then get the winger for Petey. 

I don't know. I'm not adverse to trading Garland, especially if he's going to be on the third line again. If we did I don't think that Pageau is the guy I want though. He's only 185 lbs. and costs $5 mil a year. I've heard Mik pitched for him before. I'd much rather just re-sign Blueger or someone cheaper. We're not really in a position to beef up our 3C. I'd run a stopgap as Suter can play there too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I don't know. I'm not adverse to trading Garland, especially if he's going to be on the third line again. If we did I don't think that Pageau is the guy I want though. He's only 185 lbs. and costs $5 mil a year. I've heard Mik pitched for him before. I'd much rather just re-sign Blueger or someone cheaper. We're not really in a position to beef up our 3C. I'd run a stopgap as Suter can play there too.

Mik for Pageau would definitely work for us. But for sure Garland needs to go then. Can’t have Pageau and Garland playing third line minutes. Although Pageau is good on the pk. 
Mik for Pageau and garland for Necas? 

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Mik for Pageau would definitely work for us. But for sure Garland needs to go then. Can’t have Pageau and Garland playing third line minutes. Although Pageau is good on the pk. 
Mik for Pageau and garland for Necas? 

I'm hoping we can dump Mik for cap space somehow. If it came down to Pageau as a last resort I'd do it. I really want nothing to so with Pageau's contract though. He's not that good. No way no how Carolina takes Garland for Necas.

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'm hoping we can dump Mik for cap space somehow. If it came down to Pageau as a last resort I'd do it. I really want nothing to so with Pageau's contract though. He's not that good. No way no how Carolina takes Garland for Necas.

In the playoffs, although short lived, Pageau was the islanders go to centre in their own zone, especially on the pk and to end games. He was out ahead of Fat Wallet. He’s only got two years left at five per. It’s not ideal for a 3C but certainly better than Garlsnd as a third line winger who doesn’t play pp or pk. 

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Ok ill give you that.  There are some really dumb GMs in the league, especially when they're desperate.  We will have to wait and see how Boeser does next year.  Based on the numbers though, I think he will regress a bit unless he shoots the puck a lot more than he did this year.  Not banking on it considering how defensive Tocchet has this team playing though.

Yea my fear with Boeser is that he gets a 5+ year big deal then regresses huge, because he’s slow as is. I’m kind of on the sell high train. But I’m mixed about it because he’s grown up in this organization. 

I like most of your insight, what would you think about trading Hronek’s rights  to Utah for the rights to Durzi + Guenther? Or possibly to Carolina for Burns + the rights to Necas? 

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)

I vote we ....

20240607_190457.thumb.jpg.3cf155556e720f25b35a4fb68045ff9c.jpg

.... compelling argument, yes I know, we live in a gorgeous province ... guess where?

Edited by Rocket-68

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Drive to Kelowna? 

What could possibly go wrong?!?! BBQ on the beach on me .... and live band

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

In the playoffs, although short lived, Pageau was the islanders go to centre in their own zone, especially on the pk and to end games. He was out ahead of Fat Wallet. He’s only got two years left at five per. It’s not ideal for a 3C but certainly better than Garlsnd as a third line winger who doesn’t play pp or pk. 

Yeah, he's not an offensive play driver like Garland has become. I would rather turn Garland into a top 6 winger if they go that route. He's alright, just a bad contract, so it's a lateral move just to acquire yet another expensive 3rd liner.

1 hour ago, Northern_Nuck said:

Yea my fear with Boeser is that he gets a 5+ year big deal then regresses huge, because he’s slow as is. I’m kind of on the sell high train. But I’m mixed about it because he’s grown up in this organization. 

I like most of your insight, what would you think about trading Hronek’s rights  to Utah for the rights to Durzi + Guenther? Or possibly to Carolina for Burns + the rights to Necas? 

I don't think Hronek would be enough to land either of those packages. 

Durzi isn't far off from Hronek... adding Guenther too would probably mean we would need to add Podkolzin or something like that.

It sounded like Hronek wasn't enough for Necas alone, so they definitely wouldn't include Burns as well.  

I think the fear of Hronek wanting $8M has lowered his value a bit.  Not by a lot, but enough to make it more difficult to get full value in trade for him.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, SnakeDoctor said:

It’s a shame he’s turned into a bust. Almost as bad as Lui Errickson. Hopefully he gets traded in the pre season. 

Mik is coming off series knee surgery. He will be back his heavy, super fast self after a summer of being able to properly train. Keep Mik to play with Petey and Geuntzel. Trade the Garden Gnome.