[Speculation] Lindholm apparently rejects Canucks offer of 7x7 extension

Posted (edited)

Morning Notes: Lindholm, Blackhawks, Larsen

June 7th, 2024 at 9:56am CST • By Josh Cybulski

The Vancouver Canucks are reportedly willing to offer pending unrestricted free agent center Elias Lindholm a contract extension around seven years and $7MM annually (as per Elliotte Friedman on 32 Thoughts). The deal if signed would be a replica of the deal Nazem Kadri signed with the Calgary Flames in August of 2022 and would be a substantial drop from his contract expectations last fall when many thought Lindholm could fetch a $9MM AAV.

While the potential offer is $7MM annually, there is no guarantee that Lindholm will sign for that, and Friedman isn’t sure that the Canucks can get a deal done at that number. The Canucks reportedly want Lindholm to return, but with the sheer volume of free agents on their roster it might be difficult to get a deal done with the 29-year-old.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/06/morning-notes-lindholm-blackhawks-larsen.html#ref=home

Edited by RWJC
  • Vintage 1

I'd be pretty happy with that, gives us lots of flexibility. We can even flip Petey to the wing at times. I just know hunting for a winger for Petey isn't going to work - we're going to have to pay too much via trade, and there's not many great 4-5M options in free agency so would rather just spend a bit to keep Lindholm.

We're not too Leafs-like top heavy either to be fair, our top-4 scorers costing 11M, 8M, 7M and 6.7M certainly isn't bad. Our top 2 defencemen (arguably the best pair in the league) costing 15M is decent too.

Lindholm will surely get offers of 8M and top line minutes, for example from the Bruins, but hopefully he takes a 1M cut to keep playing here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Man.. that's quite the deal. Kinda doubt it's even enough to get it done, but more then I'd personally be wanting us to spend on him. I'm really mixed on this, I hope he holds off and signs for money. Unless he can come back and show he can work with Petey next year, I hate the idea of spending 7m on a 3C

I was on the fence about him during the regular season (I also wanted the trade to happen)

but his play in the playoffs was/is something that this team needs

If Millar was driving the bus Lindholm was in the front row

But this would likely mean either moving on from Hronek or Garland as well as doing what is needed to remove Mik

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Morning Notes: Lindholm, Blackhawks, Larsen

June 7th, 2024 at 9:56am CST • By Josh Cybulski

The Vancouver Canucks are reportedly willing to offer pending unrestricted free agent center Elias Lindholm a contract extension around seven years and $7MM annually (as per Elliotte Friedman on 32 Thoughts). The deal if signed would be a replica of the deal Nazem Kadri signed with the Calgary Flames in August of 2022 and would be a substantial drop from his contract expectations last fall when many thought Lindholm could fetch a $9MM AAV.

While the potential offer is $7MM annually, there is no guarantee that Lindholm will sign for that, and Friedman isn’t sure that the Canucks can get a deal done at that number. The Canucks reportedly want Lindholm to return, but with the sheer volume of free agents on their roster it might be difficult to get a deal done with the 29-year-old.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/06/morning-notes-lindholm-blackhawks-larsen.html#ref=home

Kadri was the guy I used as a comparable as well.  I simply can't see close to $8M.  That's JT Miller territory (same age at the time of signing too).  Miller came off a 99 point season.  Lindholm is coming off a 42 point season.  $7M is very fair.  Might need to be a $7M x 8 though.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Posted (edited)

He can fetch 7 x 7mill (likely another 0.5-1mill) more on open market. We didn’t even add an 8th year which provides the security to the deal and is our inside track on retaining him. Going to be interesting to see how this plays out

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Probably keeping that 8th year off the table for flexibility in negotiations.  I bet it ends up being something a tad over $7M and an 8 year term.  Think something like $7.2M x 8 or something like that.

Was thinking that too. Still have some time to get it done so save the best offer for later as things unfold elsewhere 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 3

A deal like that could be a great deal if he plays like he did in the playoffs, but Loui Eriksson 2.0 if he's regular season Lindholm.

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 2
  • Upvote 1
  • chaos 1

he brings a lot more than just a 3C role, hope he takes that deal. 

But this is just Friedman spewing his usual speculation, I doubt he actually knows anything. 

Could Lindy get more than a 50 mil total deal out there? maybe. But there's other considerations like team fit, family stuff, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

IMO I would go to any number under $8M to lock him up long term. Quality centers are difficult to find and he can also play the wing. Lindholm is a character guy, he is low maintenance and would make an ideal mentor to our prospects. He is worth stretching our limited funds for and as the cap continues to go up he will be a bargain. And yes I would prioritize him over some of our other UFAs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Nah, we can have Lindholm, Hronek, and even Zadorov.  We need to move Mik, and we will lose Joshua.

While Im ok moving Hronek in favour of a Pesch Roy or Demalo for better cap flexibility it would be sweet to keep them all

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

So, they want to pay a #3C $7,000,000 a season until he's 36?  

He would be our 2C the entire duration of our contract, and likely play alongside Pettersson. In the playoffs, we would have the flexibility and depth to run 3 elite centers, depending on the matchup. 

this is a no-brainer, imo. 

This is like having Horvat again, but a Horvat that can shutdown teams and play defense at an elite level. He elevates this team into strong contender category.

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Not a bad offer.  I would have preferred $6-6.5M based on his past performances.  But that would probably be looked upon as a low ball offer.  His speculated next contract was $8M from other teams.  So $7M seems to be a reasonable compromise.  But I don’t think there will be any $$ left to grab a top 6 winger as well.

7 minutes ago, Johnny said:

I was on the fence about him during the regular season (I also wanted the trade to happen)

but his play in the playoffs was/is something that this team needs

If Millar was driving the bus Lindholm was in the front row

But this would likely mean either moving on from Hronek or Garland as well as doing what is needed to remove Mik

He was good on the playoffs, but it was also playoffs of his contract year after he had been mediocre the season previous to it. It doesn't surprise me he looked great. I think the real player is somewhere between what we saw during the season, and the playoffs. personally I'm not sure that's a guy I sign into his late 30s.

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think they're thing about things in terms of 1st line, 2nd line, 3rd line etc.  I think they look at the lines (top 3 at least) as being very fluid, with interchangeable parts.  Having Lindholm is the key to making that possible.

Will he take that deal?  Not if he thinks Boston will go significantly higher, imo.

Should the Canucks offer that deal?  I think that would probably mean he's their big fwd move, which is ok with me........he's probably the most complete player of the bunch

Sure, but I'm not sure what good that does if we don't have the wingers to construct a top 9. If this management is able to fill out 3 lines with adequate wingers I would be stoked. As of right now, on a conservative side we need 2, but realistically that could be higher. Boeser, Garland, Hoglander, maybe Suter (he's good but if you're expecting him to continue being a top line winger I don't think that's a great sign). Then we're hoping Mik bounces back, hoping Pod takes a step? Even then I don't know if it's the type of quality that justifies trying to make this teams strength a top 9. I'll trust this management though, they have given me no reason not to yet.

Just now, BPA said:

Not a bad offer.  I would have preferred $6-6.5M based on his past performances.  But that would probably be looked upon as a low ball offer.  His speculated next contract was $8M from other teams.  So $7M seems to be a reasonable compromise.  But I don’t think there will be any $$ left to grab a top 6 winger as well.

Pettersson becomes the top 6 winger, so no need to go out and spend 4-9 mil (9 mil being JG) 

Just now, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Pettersson becomes the top 6 winger, so no need to go out and spend 4-9 mil (9 mil being JG) 

They could try that.  But I assumed the Canucks wanted EP to the centre of his own line. 

He can get 7m on the open market. He'll probably wait and see what he can get elsewhere. If 7m is the limit he may circle back. Boston can offer him 7x7m and they have the benefit of actually playing him center. We have Miller and Petey here, so he'll be a winger/center. Unless we're paying a 3rd line center 7mil while our 11mil 2nd line center has to try make Hogs and Mik top 6 wingers again.

But management also might not just wait around for him. Rightfully so. Other holes to fill. Gonna be a very interesting offseason for PA/Rutherford. Lots of moving pieces.

• Cheers 1