[Speculation] Lindholm apparently rejects Canucks offer of 7x7 extension

52 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Be less money to keep Blueger and sign Monahan than Lindholm, right?

Miller, Monahan, Blueger, Suter. All lefties though. Maybe Petey can take some of the off side D zone starts to give JT a break? 

Taking faceoffs is something that can be learned. If you remember early in his career, Sid wasn't very good at it. He decided one offseason that he was going to get better and spent a bunch of time doing just that.

If the Canucks are concerned about the lack of Righty faceoff men, they can Have Brock and Garly work on it....I personally played on plenty of teams where the RW would come in and take strong side faceoffs.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

According to Rick D, Except for Myers, No Canuck FA is willing to take a pay-cut to sign in Van..He's def going to get more then 7 from another team.

Myers is a special case, where not only does he want to stay, he also signed with us in free agency but never lived up to his contract so owes a little back to the organization. That's the only literal pay cut I would consider us needing. I expect the others to get raises, but I also expect if they want to stay and increase the chance of continuing next year, they won't be asking for a UFA market rate, let alone a bidding war market rate. If anyone is pushing too far up the scale, then the whole thing doesn't work.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Taking faceoffs is something that can be learned. If you remember early in his career, Sid wasn't very good at it. He decided one offseason that he was going to get better and spent a bunch of time doing just that.

Sid. Most guys actually can't become anywhere near as good as Lindy. 

3 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

If the Canucks are concerned about the lack of Righty faceoff men, they can Have Brock and Garly work on it....I personally played on plenty of teams where the RW would come in and take strong side faceoffs.

if it were this easy, RHC's wouldn't be in such high demand tho. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Watching him play and where he starts his shifts. He’s decent in the O Zone but not very good at all without the puck, especially defensively. He’s a guy who usually starts in the O Zone (60+% of the time.) Plus he shoots left. We need a three C who is good defensively and preferably shoots right. Pageau checks those boxes. Monahan is more an offensive guy. 

I love ya my Melmacian friend but I disagree. He would be a perfect 3rd line center option and he is far more defensive minded in this stage of his career. 

Scout’s Analysis: How the Jets and Canadiens made out in Sean Monahan trade (msn.com):

"Defensively, Monahan doesn’t cut corners or cheat his responsibilities. The Jets’ coaching staff are getting a player who they can trust in all defensive scenarios."

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

According to Rick D, Except for Myers, No Canuck FA is willing to take a pay-cut to sign in Van..He's def going to get more then 7 from another team.

According to Friedman Zadorov is.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Myers is a special case, where not only does he want to stay, he also signed with us in free agency but never lived up to his contract so owes a little back to the organization. That's the only literal pay cut I would consider us needing. I expect the others to get raises, but I also expect if they want to stay and increase the chance of continuing next year, they won't be asking for a UFA market rate, let alone a bidding war market rate. If anyone is pushing too far up the scale, then the whole thing doesn't work.

Sadly, That's probably our reality.

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Yeah, it reminds me of the Horvat power skating argument. "If he can do it, anyone can!" But not everyone can, no matter how much work they put in. There's a reason guys who've proven a skillset get paid.

• ThereItIs 2

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

Sadly, That's probably our reality.

In a perfect world, everyone buys in, but that's not reality. There will always be someone who doesn't want to not maximize their next deal to fill a hole. It depends on how many do buy in though, and how well we replace the others that shows if we can be that team to win it all or not.

Edited by elvis15

1 minute ago, elvis15 said:

Yeah, it reminds me of the Horvat power skating argument. "If he can do it, anyone can!" But not everyone can, no matter how much work they put in. There's a reason guys who've proven a skillset get paid.

Petey didn't hit 50% until year 6, and he's taking face-offs his entire career. How the heck would Brock just pick it up and be effective? 

Just now, Bob Long said:

Petey didn't hit 50% until year 6, and he's taking face-offs his entire career. How the heck would Brock just pick it up and be effective? 

Brock has shown he can do it in smaller samples, so that's not to say no one can do it. It's just not something we should easily expect.

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, elvis15 said:

Brock has shown he can do it in smaller samples, so that's not to say no one can do it. It's just not something we should easily expect.

I mean maybe Manny has the secret sauce to this? it would be kind of amazing is he could bring this to the club. 

5 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

In a perfect world, everyone buys in, but that's not reality. There will always be someone who doesn't want we have to fill a hole. It depends on how many do buy in though, and how well we replace the others that shows if we can be that team to win it all or not.

It be super nice but the pickings for that position are ultra slim and players know this is probably the time for a big bag..I can see him getting 8 or even 9 somewhere else, I hope I'm wrong..Wish their were more Burrows like-minded players but we have yet to see.

10 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

#1: That's beside the point. What we're talking about is acquiring a #2C in the event that Lindy walks. Getting a Righty would be nice, but it would be well down the list of considerations, IMO....

#2: I wasn't aware that RHC's were in such high demand.....Lindy is obviously in demand (at least with the Canucks and Bruins) but I'm not seeing much talk about Byan Little, Jack Roslovic or Tyler Johnson....heck there isn't even much talk about Stammer or Marchessault.....

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

why would it be 0 chance? if horvat would have taken 7x7 last year he would have been 3c lol

Doubt he would have beem utilized as 3C. 
Not unlikely but with Petey in need of help on his line they are not trading for a 3rd line centre. 
Bo would likely be playing with Petey or Miller in the long run. Especially if Petey went dead like this year. 
Furthermore, why would they invest 7M in a 3C when Petey obviously need somebody to play with?

Edited by spook007

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

That’s a good point even though he might on the lineup sheet be recorded as a 3C if his minutes are 2-3 on team forwards he’s more than a 3C

He'll get top pk min and pp time. He'll be over 20 min a game

18 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

#1: That's beside the point. What we're talking about is acquiring a #2C in the event that Lindy walks. Getting a Righty would be nice, but it would be well down the list of considerations, IMO....

#2: I wasn't aware that RHC's were in such high demand.....Lindy is obviously in demand (at least with the Canucks and Bruins) but I'm not seeing much talk about Byan Little, Jack Roslovic or Tyler Johnson....heck there isn't even much talk about Stammer or Marchessault.....

Really? You didn't notice how valuable it was to have Lindy in key faceoffs? 

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Really? You didn't notice how valuable it was to have Lindy in key faceoffs? 

Sure, but in the event that he doesn't return, I wouldn't disqualify another center, just because he shoots left....

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Sure, but in the event that he doesn't return, I wouldn't disqualify another center, just because he shoots left....

No of course, but not having a rhc will make some plays harder.

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

I would bet my life management would not even consider Teurvo 

apparently he isn’t. A big practice / habits guy that’s what I’ve heard on some podcasts

i can’t imagine that being a fit when they already want our teams practice habits and efforts to improve  

Thank you for that information, not something I read about admittedly though wasn't looking to deeply into that.

Sounds like a non-starter.

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

No of course, but not having a rhc will make some plays harder.

Yep....and it would likely be a consideration....I just don't think it's as big a consideration as you and Alf....

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

Just curious why you aren’t a JG fan?

- he’s a proven playoff performer 

- a 40 goal scorer

- has an impressive resume

- had zero adjustment period when moving to a new team and clearly upgraded Carolina’s offence immediately 

- high Iq player

- plays and practices like a champion 

I’m really high on him as a player and my only worries for him are:

he does not shy away from paying the price to score goals, and attack the guts of the ice. With his frame I’m worried he could take a lot of abuse down the stretch in his 30s and maybe be hurt more frequently than you’d hope for.

that’s my biggest worry with a Long term deal this point in his career but really that’s my only risk / concern.

Do you not like him as a player or not consider him a high end player? Or do you just have concerns about how he’d age into the contract?

I think the idea he could cost north of $ 8.5m per on a max term deal. I mean I get it but its a lot of money.

The age of the contract would look better as the years go on however. Just a gut feeling but I cringe thinking of injuries, he plays the right way though.

Maybe im just cheap lol

1 hour ago, MikeBossy said:

I love ya my Melmacian friend but I disagree. He would be a perfect 3rd line center option and he is far more defensive minded in this stage of his career. 

Scout’s Analysis: How the Jets and Canadiens made out in Sean Monahan trade (msn.com):

"Defensively, Monahan doesn’t cut corners or cheat his responsibilities. The Jets’ coaching staff are getting a player who they can trust in all defensive scenarios."

Maybe SM could make the transition to playing the defensive role? But he’s still more than 60% o zone starts. Pageau is already a defensive player. He played ahead of Fat Wallet when the chips were down and the start was in the islander’s zone. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

It be super nice but the pickings for that position are ultra slim and players know this is probably the time for a big bag..I can see him getting 8 or even 9 somewhere else, I hope I'm wrong..Wish their were more Burrows like-minded players but we have yet to see.

A right hander is a draw, I get that, but we're still talking about a 3rd line center. Sure, he'll get extra minutes and be a bit of a tweener, but unless they see him as a top six with Petey, they'll also want to be adding an offensive winger. If he wants and can get that much, more power to him elsewhere.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

According to Friedman Zadorov is.

I think the context is different

myers is open to signing a much greater discount. 

whereas Zadorov is reported to being open to taking less then market which could be compared to petey taking a little Less but it’s still in the same neighborhood

• Thanks 1