[Speculation] Lindholm apparently rejects Canucks offer of 7x7 extension

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

We were an injured Demko away from getting at least to the Cup Final this year. Our window is wide open. 

lol no we ain't.. if there's 1 thing proven from demko.. 50 games is his limit including the playoffs.. the only season that he played more than 50 games.. his plays plummeted after 50 games... he's looking eerily similar to cory schneider.. peaking out at 28/29.. then injury hits.. and pretty much downhill and career ended..

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol no we ain't.. if there's 1 thing proven from demko.. 50 games is his limit including the playoffs.. the only season that he played more than 50 games.. his plays plummeted after 50 games... he's looking eerily similar to cory schneider.. peaking out at 28/29.. then injury hits.. and pretty much downhill and career ended..

So he should really only be a very good backup goalie. In that case he is getting paid to much.

On 6/7/2024 at 8:06 AM, RWJC said:

Morning Notes: Lindholm, Blackhawks, Larsen

June 7th, 2024 at 9:56am CST • By Josh Cybulski

The Vancouver Canucks are reportedly willing to offer pending unrestricted free agent center Elias Lindholm a contract extension around seven years and $7MM annually (as per Elliotte Friedman on 32 Thoughts). The deal if signed would be a replica of the deal Nazem Kadri signed with the Calgary Flames in August of 2022 and would be a substantial drop from his contract expectations last fall when many thought Lindholm could fetch a $9MM AAV.

While the potential offer is $7MM annually, there is no guarantee that Lindholm will sign for that, and Friedman isn’t sure that the Canucks can get a deal done at that number. The Canucks reportedly want Lindholm to return, but with the sheer volume of free agents on their roster it might be difficult to get a deal done with the 29-year-old.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/06/morning-notes-lindholm-blackhawks-larsen.html#ref=home

Where in any of this, including the link does it mention Lindholm rejected the offer? 

• Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Wut? 

a discount means a player is taking less than he could get elsewhere. a pay cut means he's taking less than he was making previously. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

why wouldn't he be utilized as a 3c? EP is centering his own line, Miller was centering his own line.. horvat was playing on his own line most of the time except for a stretch with miller coz he was sucking defensively.. one of them was gonna be a 3c if horvat decided to re-sign. petey went dead this year after the all star break.. did u see tocchet put lindholm on his wing? no.. if he refuse to play lindholm with ep, why do u think he would magically play horvat with ep or move ep with miller? and why would they invest 7m on a 3c when ep need somebody to play with? well it was clear ep need somebody to play with even in the first half when mikheyev have done nothing, and kuzmenko is sat in the bench or pressbox every couple games.. did they get him somebody to play with? ya they got him lindholm.. oh right they played together for 1.5 games in the regular season.

Why on earth would you Petey without a top 6 player, if you have one? Makes zero sense... 1.5 games in the regular season, when they were preparing for the play offs... They wanted him to play with Petey to start with, but A: Petey was not playing all that well (and Lindholm on his wing didn't't work instantly)

and B: They didn't have the time to get them playing together...

If they don't want Lindholm to play with a player paid 11.6M they'd spend the money on a winger for Petey instead.

They have $2M to shave off this year and $5M next year, so they are hardly going to let Petay suck with his $11.6M contract in order to have a 3rd line C...

Petey was great during the regular season up to ASG but, from then on not so much, and the question really is, would he be better as a winger, especially during the play offs?

If they find a top 6 winger for Petey, then maybe Lindholm could be a 3rd C, but I don't know how they would be able to afford that...  Far cheaper to have a Bluger play 3C and than use Lindholm in the top 6... 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

10 hours ago, Hammertime said:

He's clearly the best right shot C in FA I'd probably want to listen to the offers too in his shoes.

Him playing 3c for us @ 7m is a luxury we can't really afford. I would sign Blueger and Boyd and use the remaining cap to upgrade top 6 wing. We have Suter and Aman who can also play C. 

I think mgmt should prioritize signing Zadorov Dak Myers Blueger let Lindholm walk and see where they are money wise to extend or trade Hronek for a top 6 w. Dak Blueger Garland was a solid 3rd line better than most 2nd lines. Adding Lindholm was a bit of guilding the lilly. 

Or play him has a C next to Petey... Think they could be dynamite together....

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Captkirk888 said:

Where in any of this, including the link does it mention Lindholm rejected the offer? 

I mentioned in a post somewhere in this thread (I think?) that the alleged offer and subsequent rejection are based off of Elliote Friedman’s comments/speculation. Another poster previously included a link to an MSN article which stated the case. Who’s to say what’s accurate…but posted it nonetheless because people consider Friedman THE insider. Folks tend to forget that he pools his info from the real insiders and local media whom are closer to their respective clubs. Regardless hard to know what’s accurate at this time of year. Mostly posted for discussion sake.

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Why on earth would you Petey without a top 6 player, if you have one? Makes zero sense... 1.5 games in the regular season, when they were preparing for the play offs... They wanted him to play with Petey to start with, but A: Petey was not playing all that well (and Lindholm on his wing didn't't work instantly)

and B: They didn't have the time to get them playing together...

If they don't want Lindholm to play with a player paid 11.6M they'd spend the money on a winger for Petey instead.

They have $2M to shave off this year and $5M next year, so they are hardly going to let Petay suck with his $11.6M contract in order to have a 3rd line C...

Petey was great during the regular season up to ASG but, from then on not so much, and the question really is, would he be better as a winger, especially during the play offs?

If they find a top 6 winger for Petey, then maybe Lindholm could be a 3rd C, but I don't know how they would be able to afford that...  Far cheaper to have a Bluger play 3C and than use Lindholm in the top 6... 

why on earth would you play EP without a top 6 player if you have one? i dunno ask RT? they literally played lindholm with EP for 1.5 games the first 3 games he was traded and then the next 20+ games seperately.. you are telling me in the 20+ games there was no time to play them together and let them work on chemistry? EP was clearly struggling with his linemates in the playoff.. hoglander and mikheyev was beyond useless and invisible.. what did RT do? play him with laffety instead when lindholm was available and the bluegar joshua garland have proven track record all season of success.. it's pretty obvious getting EP going offensively is not on the priority list of RT as opposed to having 3 lines that is good defensively.. EP was great up to the ASG coz there's a playmaker on his line in kuzmenko that other team have to respect with his playmaking ability that allows EP to be a shooter or a passer.. since the ASG? that option is gone... you honestly think teams are scared of hoglander or mikheyev beating them? like u said far cheaper to have blueger play 3c and lindholm in the top 6.. so why didn't that happen at all last season? lindholm played 1.5 games with EP in the regular season.. 1 or 2 games in the playoff.. RT prolly won't play Lindholm with EP unless he absolutely have to with the season on the line... and also i don't get why you guys want EP on the wing as if suggesting he's not good enough to be a center.. considering he had a massive improvement in face off at over 50% and he's good defensively.. how about you get guys that are actual wingers and play them as a winger instead? maybe stop trying to plug players out of position? EP have primary been a center.. Lindholm have primarily been a center... even when EP was playing on the lotto line.. even though Miller takes the faceoff.. it's EP that plays the center role on the line.. ie the first forward back to help out on defence. instead of signing lindholm to play in the top 6.. and force EP to the wing.. sign some bloody top 6 wingers instead and let lindholm walk.. coz you are paying a premium for lindholm as a center 

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Or play him has a C next to Petey... Think they could be dynamite together....

That was the plan though. For whatever reason they werent. I can see a world where you trade Pete for a big return and run with Miller Lindholm as your 1/2 c's. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Hammertime said:

That was the plan though. For whatever reason they werent. I can see a world where you trade Pete for a big return and run with Miller Lindholm as your 1/2 c's. 

We know exactly why Petey struggled down the stretch. He was playing on one leg. Janik Hansen talked about this on 650. He mentioned how the superstar players (of which clearly Petey is) struggle to perform at their elite level if they are at 90% of full health. He added that for the lower level guys it’s different. 

8 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

why on earth would you play EP without a top 6 player if you have one? i dunno ask RT? they literally played lindholm with EP for 1.5 games the first 3 games he was traded and then the next 20+ games seperately.. you are telling me in the 20+ games there was no time to play them together and let them work on chemistry? EP was clearly struggling with his linemates in the playoff.. hoglander and mikheyev was beyond useless and invisible.. what did RT do? play him with laffety instead when lindholm was available and the bluegar joshua garland have proven track record all season of success.. it's pretty obvious getting EP going offensively is not on the priority list of RT as opposed to having 3 lines that is good defensively.. EP was great up to the ASG coz there's a playmaker on his line in kuzmenko that other team have to respect with his playmaking ability that allows EP to be a shooter or a passer.. since the ASG? that option is gone... you honestly think teams are scared of hoglander or mikheyev beating them? like u said far cheaper to have blueger play 3c and lindholm in the top 6.. so why didn't that happen at all last season? lindholm played 1.5 games with EP in the regular season.. 1 or 2 games in the playoff.. RT prolly won't play Lindholm with EP unless he absolutely have to with the season on the line... and also i don't get why you guys want EP on the wing as if suggesting he's not good enough to be a center.. considering he had a massive improvement in face off at over 50% and he's good defensively.. how about you get guys that are actual wingers and play them as a winger instead? maybe stop trying to plug players out of position? EP have primary been a center.. Lindholm have primarily been a center... even when EP was playing on the lotto line.. even though Miller takes the faceoff.. it's EP that plays the center role on the line.. ie the first forward back to help out on defence. instead of signing lindholm to play in the top 6.. and force EP to the wing.. sign some bloody top 6 wingers instead and let lindholm walk.. coz you are paying a premium for lindholm as a center 

Firstly (and no disrespect meant) please split up your post amigo.. 

Its like a wall of text, and really hard to get through...

I think Tocchet left Petey with Mika and Hogs in the hope the line could reconnect... in the end he gave up on that as well during the play offs, and shifted players in and out of Peteys line.

Again, as you say yourself as well, why would they spend so much money on a 3C, when they are looking at less money going forward.

If they want Petey to play C, which he did, while playing with Lindholm, They would be just as well of signing a bonafide winger for Petey...  Lindholm on Peteys wing didn't work (for a game and a half... small sample size), but I think they played Lindy as a C later with Petey moving to the wing and he looked better there (I might be wrong, but seem to recall this)... 

Its exactly as you say, they are paying premium for a C in Lindholm, so playing him as a 3C doesn't make sense (or at least not to me)...

Now thinking outside the box, it could be to ensure that even in the event of injuries we have 2 bonafide top 6 Centers... 

But paying $7M for a 3C to play next to a $5M winger sound extreme to me? Especially with Petey having to play with black holes and worse...

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

We know exactly why Petey struggled down the stretch. He was playing on one leg. Janik Hansen talked about this on 650. He mentioned how the superstar players (of which clearly Petey is) struggle to perform at their elite level if they are at 90% of full health. He added that for the lower level guys it’s different. 

Uhhh that's bolgney. Struggle yes. Disappear completely no.  I think he knows that excuse was lame. Plenty of guys were bang'd up

• Cheers 1

I'm not sure Lindholm is even worth $7. Sure, he's great at faceoffs and really good defensively. What did Manny Maholtra make? Sheesh. 

But seriously, Lindholm only scored 6 goals in his 26 regular season games with the Canucks. He wasn't very good offensively. He had a good playoffs, but so do a lot of bottom 6 players. He scored 42 with CGY two years ago, but probably due to his line mates (Gaudreau and Tkachuk?). I can imagine his production decreasing as the years go on, so I think 7 years is also too long.

There are better $7 players out there

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Alflives said:

We were an injured Demko away from getting at least to the Cup Final this year. Our window is wide open. 

I think Boeser would have had another stellar game in the 7th all or nothing .

Silovs did us proud !

• Cheers 1
  • Desmenko 1

10 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

So you're saying Demko is a back up? I disagree. Does Tochett have to play him less? Yes. Don't run him into the ground. Now, if we get the same play we got from Silovs in the playoffs, then we can keep Demko to 55 games next season. That will keep him rested and hopefully healthy.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RWJC said:

I mentioned in a post somewhere in this thread (I think?) that the alleged offer and subsequent rejection are based off of Elliote Friedman’s comments/speculation. Another poster previously included a link to an MSN article which stated the case. Who’s to say what’s accurate…but posted it nonetheless because people consider Friedman THE insider. Folks tend to forget that he pools his info from the real insiders and local media whom are closer to their respective clubs. Regardless hard to know what’s accurate at this time of year. Mostly posted for discussion sake.

I think the main reason people took it seriously is because it makes sense all around.

Going by what Lindy can make on the open market, 7 x 7 seems like a decent starting point. It also seems like an offer that would likely be rejected for exactly the same reason. According to reports at the time, Lindholm turned down 9 x 8 that was offered by the Flames, so even though his production has fallen off somewhat, he clearly has an idea of what his value is.

I believe the $72 million dollar ship has sailed, (and I'm betting the Flames are happy about it) but I'll be surprised if his next contract doesn't start with an 8....

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

I'm not sure Lindholm is even worth $7. Sure, he's great at faceoffs and really good defensively. What did Manny Maholtra make? Sheesh. 

But seriously, Lindholm only scored 6 goals in his 26 regular season games with the Canucks. He wasn't very good offensively. He had a good playoffs, but so do a lot of bottom 6 players. He scored 42 with CGY two years ago, but probably due to his line mates (Gaudreau and Tkachuk?). I can imagine his production decreasing as the years go on, so I think 7 years is also too long.

There are better $7 players out there

Lindholm has had seasons where he’s definitely worth 7 mil, but this season wasn’t one of them. Outside of the playoffs he left a lot to be desired and honestly he didn’t perform great in every single playoff game even. He showed up in maybe just over half the playoff games in my opinion . He does a lot very good but for 7 mil I feel like we can do better. If I knew we’d get high end Lindholm yearly I’d love him at 7 mil but he’s had a pretty inconsistent career and I just don’t feel he’s worth that. 

18 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

So you're saying Demko is a back up? I disagree. Does Tochett have to play him less? Yes. Don't run him into the ground. Now, if we get the same play we got from Silovs in the playoffs, then we can keep Demko to 55 games next season. That will keep him rested and hopefully healthy.

Keep in mind that Demko has only played 55+ games in his career once.  That's at NHL, AHL and college levels.  Only once.

This past year he made it to 51 and missed a month.  The prior year he only played 32 games and missed several months.

Unfortunately there is a big question whether he can play 55 or if he has to play less than that to stay healthy.

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Uhhh that's bolgney. Struggle yes. Disappear completely no.  I think he knows that excuse was lame. Plenty of guys were bang'd up

Think what you want, but Hansen played with great players and he would know. This is one of those instances where actually playing in the nhl validates that persons perspective. 

32 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I think Boeser would have had another stellar game in the 7th all or nothing .

Silovs did us proud !

Silovs proved he can play 30-35 games next season as Demko’s backup and provide Demko the rest needed for the playoffs. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Should have WAITED to sign EP40.

GIF by Kalumi BEAUTY

Petey himself wanted to wait. Thats on management and media for pressuring him 

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Silovs proved he can play 30-35 games next season as Demko’s backup and provide Demko the rest needed for the playoffs. 

I think if Demko can not play 50 games next season he will be traded.

Or do we trade him now for a shit load of good ?!