[Speculation] Lindholm apparently rejects Canucks offer of 7x7 extension

Canucks Notes: Lindholm, Chatfield, Zadorov

June 10th, 2024 at 8:59pm CST • By Josh Cybulski

Elliotte Friedman reported on the Jeff Marek Show today that it doesn’t appear that the Vancouver Canucks will be able to hang on to pending unrestricted free agent center Elias Lindholm. Friedman referenced recent reports that the Canucks were willing to offer Lindholm a seven-year deal for $7MM per season but adds that the Canucks are reportedly looking to their next options as Lindholm’s departure becomes more of a reality.

The Canucks gave up a massive package to acquire the 29-year-old sending a first-round pick in 2024, a conditional fourth-round pick in 2024, as well as two prospects and Andrei Kuzmenko to the Calgary Flames and aren’t likely to find a suitable replacement in free agency.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/06/canucks-notes-lindholm-chatfield-zadorov.html#ref=home

he’s a goner, folks

Just now, RWJC said:

Elliotte Friedman reported on the Jeff Marek Show today that it doesn’t appear that the Vancouver Canucks will be able to hang on to pending unrestricted free agent center Elias Lindholm. Friedman referenced recent reports that the Canucks were willing to offer Lindholm a seven-year deal for $7MM per season but adds that the Canucks are reportedly looking to their next options as Lindholm’s departure becomes more of a reality.

The Canucks gave up a massive package to acquire the 29-year-old sending a first-round pick in 2024, a conditional fourth-round pick in 2024, as well as two prospects and Andrei Kuzmenko to the Calgary Flames and aren’t likely to find a suitable replacement in free agency.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/06/canucks-notes-lindholm-chatfield-zadorov.html#ref=home

he’s a goner, folks

A massive package? I would say that was a pretty standard one.

And we’re not likely to find a suitable replacement? Says who?

What a negative article…

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

What a negative article…

Stephenson to the Canucks. 

30 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

What a negative article…

well it depends on what kuzmenko turns into.. if he continues playing like he did to end the season given the free reins to play offence without a leash? then that might convert into a 1st at the deadline.. massive or standard hinges on what kuzmenko fetches them

13 hours ago, DeNiro said:

What a negative article…

Yeah, that was far from a "massive package".  It was actually quite a good deal for Van, imo 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Yeah, that was far from a "massive package".  It was actually quite a good deal for Van, imo 

I guess that 28th oa might come back to bite us in 5 or 6 years? looks like there might be some decent d picks in that range.  

13 hours ago, RWJC said:

he’s a goner, folks

a bit disappointing if true, but anything outside of the 7s is just too much for Lindy long term. 

• Cheers 1

The list of free agent wingers is really uninspiring. I would rather spend the money on Lindholm than any of the wingers out there. That's if he wants to stay of course. Centers are a premium position, rh centers even more so. I'd rather spend 7-8 mil on Lindholm than 9-10 mil on Guentzel.

• Like 1

This is where our lack of center depth in the organization really shows.  We only have Sasson and Raty (who's been playing wing) down on the farm. Unless Karlsson (also been playing wing) or Aman step up their game we'll have to look to FA or trade to shore up the roster.  I'd say it's a more pressing need for our club than defense.  We desperately need a Malhotra 2.0.

Perhaps they are watching to see what the Canes do with Kotkaniemi, who they are reportedly high on.  He fits in nicely to that #3C role, with a lot of room to grow and develop.  

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

a bit disappointing if true, but anything outside of the 7s is just too much for Lindy long term. 

It might, but apparently this draft drops off, big time, after #20

2 minutes ago, Devron said:

My prediction. Joshua and Lindholm gone

Hronek and Zadorov long term deals 

Keeping the d group solid could add the stability to bring in a rookie winger (raty or lek)

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Johnny said:

Keeping the d group solid could add the stability to bring in a rookie winger (raty or lek)

In the end I’m ok with what we traded to Calgary if we re up Big Z 

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, stawns said:

Perhaps they are watching to see what the Canes do with Kotkaniemi, who they are reportedly high on.  He fits in nicely to that #3C role, with a lot of room to grow and develop.  

I'd be open to a deal with CAR that includes Necas and KK. Mikheyev and Hronek for those two could be the foundations for a hockey trade with them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I'd be open to a deal with CAR that includes Necas and KK. Mikheyev and Hronek for those two could be the foundations for a hockey trade with them.

Garland straight up for Jaspari? 

• ThereItIs 1

I'm not sure Lindholm really wants to stay in VAN. I never got the impression he liked it here or wanted to re-sign. He'll probably chase the money elsewhere.

I also think Zadorov might be too pricey. Canucks might try $5.5 x 6 or something meanwhile another team might offer $7 x 6 or more. OEL's cap hit and Petey big raise might force the Canucks to do things on the cheap. Only big expense might be Petey's winger and re-signing Hronek.  

Assuming Mikheyev is too difficult to move and a buyout is out of the question.  

Another year with Raty in Abby might be good for him, learn faceoffs and playing C from Manny.

New Guys

Just a wild ass guess

Hoglander - Miller - Boeser

Garland - Pettersson - Guentzel

Suter - Blueger - Lekkerimaki

Mikheyev - ? - Podkolzin

Karlsson

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

? - Chatfield

Brisebois - Juulsen

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Garland straight up for Jaspari? 

Yes, or we trade Garland for prospects or picks  and use his cap to sign Trenin and trade for Jeannot. We get bigger, faster, and meaner

He can kick rocks then, Dude doesn't deserve anything over 7..Not like he was much of a factor in the reg season and even with Calgay, Great line-mates inflated his stats the previous yr..Sure he had a good playoffs but I'm not convinced just yet..Don't need another possible Loui Erk ..Fool me once you can't get fooled again.

Someone will offer Lindholm a 7 year $7.75+ million contract and in two years Lindholm will be that teams Louis Player Name.

The issue is without Tkachuk and Gaudreau Lindholm has been a middling player at best.  Sure one decent playoffs in Vancouver no doubt.  But he's a 2b centre that has a couple of prime years left.

Imagine seeing him putting up 30-40 point seasons at 7.75 million a year and having people defend it.  Because that's what's coming.

Zadorov, yeah I can see him around $5 million over 6-8 years for sure.  A big man like that that skates like that.  Worth it.  But a 40 ish point centre for over 7 is scary long term.

Would love to keep him.  But if someone wants to give him a Kadri contract.  Then they can absolutely enjoy it

• Like 2

really liked Lindy, but wasnt super sure about fit with EP and Miller already Cs on the team.  Lindy probably has a destination in mind.  

Re-signing Bleugar would be awesome, although having a RH C that can win in the dot is a big need.