[Speculation] Lindholm apparently rejects Canucks offer of 7x7 extension

1 minute ago, BPA said:

They could try that.  But I assumed the Canucks wanted EP to the centre of his own line. 

It doesn’t have to be set in stone either, different times and matchups will force us to adapt and be creative. Having Lindholm gives us the advantage every time we have to do so. 

4 minutes ago, BPA said:

Not a bad offer.  I would have preferred $6-6.5M based on his past performances.  But that would probably be looked upon as a low ball offer.  His speculated next contract was $8M from other teams.  So $7M seems to be a reasonable compromise.  But I don’t think there will be any $$ left to grab a top 6 winger as well.

That would have been an insult, imo, and an abrupt end to any further negotiations 

• Upvote 1

Oh I’m so happy with managment if they keep us a deep team going forward rather than throwing the bag at a top heavy team, Lindy found a home with gar that would allow to deploy a lot less mins onto our stars shoulders and keep the team fresh for playoffs 

That is a fair deal.  It is also good that they are making it clear they are trying to get a deal done.

Apparently some other team members have been actively lobbying for him to stay, so they will see that the team is at least seriously interested.

When Benning didn’t bother offering contracts to Tanev and Toffoli even after other players were public about wanting them to stay… it really impacted the team the next year and trust in management.

• Cheers 4

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

It is a long contract, for sure, but I also see him as someone who will likely age well.

Maybe, and maybe not, but a team with too many of these long term deals can end up screwing themselves down the road.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

Maybe, and maybe not, but a team with too many of these long term deals can end up screwing themselves down the road.

who cares about 5 years from now? if we can get a window of 4 or 5 legit playoff runs between now and then, we need to go for it. 

• MillerTime 1

Just now, Gurn said:

Most long term contract end up that way unfortunately.  But you're betting on getting enough "good years" from said player before the 'bad years' kick in.  Then there's the case of Loui E who stunk like manure from his first game to his last.  Even a guy like OEL had a pretty respectible first season for us.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, BPA said:

Not a bad offer.  I would have preferred $6-6.5M based on his past performances.  But that would probably be looked upon as a low ball offer.  His speculated next contract was $8M from other teams.  So $7M seems to be a reasonable compromise.  But I don’t think there will be any $$ left to grab a top 6 winger as well.

There won't be assuming Hronek, Zadorov, and Myers are all re-signed.  In fact, we'd still lose Joshua and Mikheyev would need to be traded.

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

who cares about 5 years from now? if we can get a window of 4 or 5 legit playoff runs between now and then, we need to go for it. 

I care- I expect to still be alive, and still be a fan.

Funny thing- people razz about 'magic beans' yet sell out the future for a 'magic run'.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Exactly.  Besides, 6 years from now, the upper cap limit will very likely be in the $100M range.  A $7M contract at that point is equivalent to a $5.85M contract today. 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

28 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

So, they want to pay a #3C $7,000,000 a season until he's 36?  

Our number 3 C in the playoffs is scheduled to make $11.6M next year.

I would pay a RHC that can play on first second or third line or can move over to wing that is an elite penalty killer and top face-off man $7M a year, absolutely.

He is younger than JTM so seems to fit our window.

• Cheers 1

Just now, DrJockitch said:

Our number 3 C in the playoffs is scheduled to make $11.6M next year.

I would pay a RHC that can play on first second or third line or can move over to wing that is an elite penalty killer and top face-off man $7M a year, absolutely.

He is younger than JTM so seems to fit our window.

Exactly.

Also fans would have been happy had we signed Horvat to that deal. So we would have been in the same scenario. Lindholm and Horvat are very comparable.

2 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I care- I expect to still be alive, and still be a fan.

Funny thing- people razz about 'magic beans' yet sell out the future for a 'magic run'.

I don't see a sustain number of years in the playoffs as just one magic run. I'm also happy with tanking for more elite talent in the last year or two of Millers and Lindy's deals for the next generation of talent. 

Just now, DeNiro said:

Exactly.

Also fans would have been happy had we signed Horvat to that deal. So we would have been in the same scenario. Lindholm and Horvat are very comparable.

Lindholm is the better of the 2 and more flexible in his deployment. 
‘If we can get him at $7 that is a steal. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Exactly.

Horvat a little better offensively, and Lindholm a lot better defensively. I'd much rather have Lindholm.

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

I don't see a sustain number of years in the playoffs as just one magic run. I'm also happy with tanking for more elite talent in the last year or two of Millers and Lindy's deals for the next generation of talent. 

to each their own.

Posted (edited)

Just to make this interesting, CAR is now offering rights to Jake Guentzel for a mid round pick…

Edited by RWJC

I think I'm with the majority here....I'm good with the deal, but I doubt Lindy is.

As someone already mentioned, Boston wants him badly (according to various rumors I've read) so I doubt 7x 7 wins the bidding war....

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Just to make this interesting, CAR is now offering rights to Jake Guentzel for a mid round pick…

If they are, that probably means Guentzel is asking for the moon in terms of a cap hit.  So no thank you.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Guentzel is going to get 9 million plus.

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

He was good on the playoffs, but it was also playoffs of his contract year after he had been mediocre the season previous to it. It doesn't surprise me he looked great. I think the real player is somewhere between what we saw during the season, and the playoffs. personally I'm not sure that's a guy I sign into his late 30s.

Sure, but I'm not sure what good that does if we don't have the wingers to construct a top 9. If this management is able to fill out 3 lines with adequate wingers I would be stoked. As of right now, on a conservative side we need 2, but realistically that could be higher. Boeser, Garland, Hoglander, maybe Suter (he's good but if you're expecting him to continue being a top line winger I don't think that's a great sign). Then we're hoping Mik bounces back, hoping Pod takes a step? Even then I don't know if it's the type of quality that justifies trying to make this teams strength a top 9. I'll trust this management though, they have given me no reason not to yet.

I think people have to accept treading water with the roster this season and hoping they overachieve again.  They're not going to solve their issues in one off season

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1