[Speculation] Lindholm apparently rejects Canucks offer of 7x7 extension

46 minutes ago, Devron said:

In the end I’m ok with what we traded to Calgary if we re up Big Z 

Me too

In the end it also shows the team that management will do what it takes

• Cheers 2

He's probably gone and I'm okay with that. When you're a good team like we were, players do well and demand big money. Smart good teams find new cheaper replacements.

23 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Honestly if we’re not able to re-sign any of our pending UFAs I would just wait the market out.

Worst thing you can do is go hard on July 1 and throw around stupid money.

Wait for trades to open up and get those undervalued guys who are playing down teams lineups. That’s how you get value production and also get them on shorter terms than you would for guys in free agency 

Also save money for those value guys like Blueger and Suter that are always available later in the summer.

Yup, a smart way to operate.  That's how you add solid value to a roster.  You need guys playing above their cap hit.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

It might, but apparently this draft drops off, big time, after #20

interesting, haven't been following it much at all this year, didn't even play the lotto simulator. 

at the time of the deal, it seemed to me that it was clearly quantity over quality and they wanted something to change the channel from losing Dube. 

2 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I’ll keep the elite 2C and that extra money that can be thrown at a competent 5-6 D. 

we have a 1c and 2c. Petey needs an elite winger. You can't have 19 mil sitting on the bench for 2/3rds of a game. And that's reality if your 3c's are paid 11, 8 and 8 mil. There's not enough ice for them.

We need elite scoring, we don't have enough and Lindholm does not provide that. He's a luxury we can't afford.

7 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

we have a 1c and 2c. Petey needs an elite winger. You can't have 19 mil sitting on the bench for 2/3rds of a game. And that's reality if your 3c's are paid 11, 8 and 8 mil. There's not enough ice for them.

We need elite scoring, we don't have enough and Lindholm does not provide that. He's a luxury we can't afford.

Pettersson and Lindholm share faceoff duties on their strong side and play together. Until Pettersson gets stronger, he doesn’t fit at C, and he becomes the star winger we need. 

Lindholm was 3rd in forward TOI these playoffs. He was huge for us. He’s not staying to play 3C, he’s staying to be an impact top 6 player, and there’s more than enough room, as we currently have 3 legit established top 6 forwards on our team. 

Breaking the bank for Guentzel makes no sense. That extra money can go towards Zadorov.

Finally, why take a risk with another player when you already have a proven commodity that clearly fits in this team? Why take a chance? Management KNOWS that Lindholm turned this team into even more of a contender. Why would they go and take another swing? 

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Pettersson and Lindholm share faceoff duties on their strong side and play together. Until Pettersson gets stronger, he doesn’t fit at C, and he becomes the star winger we need. 

Lindholm was 3rd in forward TOI these playoffs. He was huge for us. He’s not staying to play 3C, he’s staying to be an impact top 6 player, and there’s more than enough room, as we currently have 3 legit established top 6 forwards on our team. 

Breaking the bank for Guentzel makes no sense. That extra money can go towards Zadorov.

You overrate Linholm from one playoff. He's not fast, he's not an elite scorer, he's not an elite set up man. He doesn't deserve the 8 mil it will take to keep him and Petey is a natural center. Last year he had over 100 pts and got Selke votes. I am not sure where the "He's a winger" comes from. He's also turning 26, he's not being "groomed" to be a center anymore. He is one. And a top 10 one at that.

Also Petterson's faceoff numbers have increased every year, and this year he was over 50%

His strength was lost in Jan when he could no longer work out because of his knee tendinitis. Your "eye test" doesn't address the reality that players lose weight and strength in the season and need to work out, he was unable to. And for him, where he is light and needs more, it impacts him more. He came into camp in excellent shape and increased strength and it showed in his first half. Then the injury and inability to work the area of the body where hockey players get most of their strength from, the lower body / legs.

Sometimes you need to think deeper than just surface.

Edited by ArmchairGM22

32 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Finally, why take a risk with another player when you already have a proven commodity that clearly fits in this team? Why take a chance? Management KNOWS that Lindholm turned this team into even more of a contender. Why would they go and take another swing? 

Again, if they can keep him, people have to stop thinking about things in terms of "top 6" etc.  having lindy in the lineup creates all kinds of flexibility.

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Worst thing you can do is go hard on July 1 and throw around stupid money.

Look at Florida, Verhaeghe, Bennett, Rodrigues, etc. Neither of them making more than 4.5 million. We need a winger like this for Pettersson. Someone who can outperform their contract. Either by trade or free agency.

Management has shown they can do this with bottom 6 guys like Joshua, Blueger, Suter.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

Yup, a smart way to operate.  That's how you add solid value to a roster.  You need guys playing above their cap hit.

Yup, look at Florida. Bennett and Montour on the dip. Rodrigues on a great contract and Verhaeghe being an elite pickup.

Big off-season for Canucks pro scouting. Not the time to being throwing around money.

Edited by J-23
  • Like 1

This situation doesn't look good so far, but it's really not over until he signs elsewhere. I'm very much still hoping we find a way to retain Lindholm, but I also trust this management group to pivot if they need to. If Lindholm does walk in the end, I'm still okay with the price we paid (even if we did lose a 1st round pick).

18 hours ago, J-23 said:

Stephenson to the Canucks. 

Something like one of him or Monahan and then one or two of Duclair, Toffoli, Tarasenko, Sprong, Martinook, DeBrusk, Roslovic, Wennberg, or Amadio could be interesting.

Even Domi and Tatar could be interesting. 

We'd probably be better served going after a few good, but not great players instead of trying to pay up for Kane, Marchessault, Duchene, Lindholm, and Guentzel. 

If I were management I'd be looking to build depth instead of going after talent who'd make us more top heavy capwise. 

Edited by Coconuts

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Something like one of him or Monahan and then one or two of Duclair, Toffoli, Tarasenko, Sprong, Martinook, DeBrusk, Roslovic, Wennberg, or Amadio could be interesting.

We'd probably be better served going after a few good, but not great players instead of trying to pay up for Kane, Marchessault, Duchene, Lindholm, and Guentzel. 

If I were management I'd be looking to build depth instead of going after talent who'd make us more top heavy capwise. 

Ya, it’s looking like management wants three good centres for the playoffs. Stephenson and Roy in free agency and a trade for someone like Crouse would be nice.

Crouse - Pettersson - 

- Miller - Boeser

- Stephenson - Garland

Giuseppe - Suter -

I also think we need to trade for someone that might need a change of teams. Oliver Wahlstrom? I remember a lot of people on here wanted him that year.

A big off-season for the Canucks pro scouting, the team needs guys who can outperform their contracts while also making sure we have enough depth in our forward and defensive group.

I think the better label for most of those guys would be 'serivceable' (or even 'meh'), as opposed to "interesting".  That being said, I do like the idea of bringing in a couple of those guys to improve our depth, rather than investing everything in one boom or bust big name UFA.

I would like to see Blueger back first off.

If you can snag Daniel Sprong and Tyler Toffoli in Free Agency you immediately add offense on the wings as well as in Toffoli's case clutch scoring and in Sprong's case a big strong fast skater with elite offensive skills.

4 hours ago, Bob Long said:

me too. 

For me, it depends on what salary he commands, but I’d rather try and re-sign Zadorov and Myers first. I love having those big, punishing defencemen come playoff time.

35 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I would like to see Blueger back first off.

If you can snag Daniel Sprong and Tyler Toffoli in Free Agency you immediately add offense on the wings as well as in Toffoli's case clutch scoring and in Sprong's case a big strong fast skater with elite offensive skills.

Sprong 

Never broke 50 pts 

broke 20 goals once 

how is he elite ?