[Speculation] Lindholm apparently rejects Canucks offer of 7x7 extension

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

Florida took their foot off the gas for a bit that is why they almost lost. You nullify the big boys(Mcdavid/Draisytl) and you give yourself a good chance to win. We had the chance too but our offense(like Petey) couldn't capitalize and that is what you need from your high priced players. 

Some star players rise to occasion, and others not so much. I am hoping Petey learned something and his mental/physical toughness improves for next year.

We didn’t have our Vezina level goalie. With Demko we dispatch the Coilers in 5. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We didn’t have our Vezina level goalie. With Demko we dispatch the Coilers in 5. 

And our leading scorer in the playoffs for game 7.

so really we were missing Boeser, Demko and Peteys lack of performance.

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I'm definitely starting to lean that way, but I also don't think they're one big time fwd away from a Cup either.  Id like to see them keep Zad and Myers and add another solid dman on the right side and then trust their pro scouts and go bargain hunting for a top 6 fwd on a short term deal.

Yes. Originally I was hoping for Guentzel, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense to retain Z and Myers, add another D and then get someone like Toffoli on a short term. Solid backend and there’s always TDL to try and find some good hockey trades to improve the offense.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

21 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

TBH, I think the whole "left handed vs right handed" thing is a tad overblown. Yeah, it's handy (no pun intended) but anyone who's made it to the NHL has likely spent a ton of time playing on his off wing, whether they're a forward, or a defender....

For example, one of the greatest 5 man units of all time was made up entirely of lefties. I'll leave it for people here to figure out who I'm talking about, but as a hint I'll say that two of them were Canucks at one point.

Team USSR - Summit Series 1972. 

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, arsenalian said:

Yes. Originally I was hoping for Guentzel, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense to retain Z and Myers, add another D and then get someone like Toffoli on a short term. Solid backend and there’s always TDL to try and find some good hockey trades to improve the offense.

Rutherford has also been known to make hockey trades throughout the season as well. 

DeSmith, Friedman, Lindholm and Zadorov all acquired well before the TDL. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, boziffous said:

The one that I found was Hoglander with Petey and Garland. Not a huge sample size but very good in the 45 minutes they played together at 5v5

image.thumb.png.b2eafff2bb26c12f25d46b654a269065.png

Was saying it all year and last summer when everybody was trying to dump Garlands cap for nothing. The guy is very creative offensively! You can get more from him to the point where you don’t look at his price tag as a negative. His beauty passes setting up Joshua (did pretty good converting on them) but also Suter and Blueger. I like those guys but could you imagine Garlands point totals if instead he was setting up Miller, Boeser or Pettersson on the doorstep. Garland should be moved into the top 6 and he’d probably be a 60 point player.

8 minutes ago, Singing Chef said:

Team USSR - Summit Series 1972. 

Right team, but not the unit I was thinking of. AFAIK, none of Yakushev, Mikhailov or Kharlamov ever suited up for the Canucks.

Look up "The Green Unit".

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Only right shot guy was Tretiak.

Nope. Vlad Petrov was a Righty....as were a couple of the lesser known guys on that squad. (Liapkin, Starshinov, Shatalov)

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Right team, but not the unit I was thinking of. AFAIK, none of Yakushev, Mikhailov or Kharlamov ever suited up for the Canucks.

Look up "The Green Unit".

I think the only player from that unit to also play for Canucks was Larionov.  Krutov (ugh !) also played for Canucks but don't see his name associated with Green Unit.  Nevertheless I agree with your observations about the "all lefty" production - most effective.   Thanks for this info - it's appreciated.

Cheers.

4 minutes ago, Singing Chef said:

I think the only player from that unit to also play for Canucks was Larionov.  Krutov (ugh !) also played for Canucks but don't see his name associated with Green Unit.  Nevertheless I agree with your observations about the "all lefty" production - most effective.   Thanks for this info - it's appreciated.

Cheers.

The actual Green Unit often gets conflated with the Russian Five that played for the Red Wings.

The unit I'm referring to included the "KLM" line of Krutov, Larionov and Makarov up front, with Fetisov and Kasatonov on defense.

https://icehockey.fandom.com/wiki/Russian_Five

34 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

And our leading scorer in the playoffs for game 7.

so really we were missing Boeser, Demko and Peteys lack of performance.

Yes if we have Boeser and Petey, we get the offense that is needed to win. 

5 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

The actual Green Unit often gets conflated with the Russian Five that played for the Red Wings.

The unit I'm referring to included the "KLM" line of Krutov, Larionov and Makarov up front, with Fetisov and Kasatonov on defense.

https://icehockey.fandom.com/wiki/Russian_Five

Yes - got it.  Thanks.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Was saying it all year and last summer when everybody was trying to dump Garlands cap for nothing. The guy is very creative offensively! You can get more from him to the point where you don’t look at his price tag as a negative. His beauty passes setting up Joshua (did pretty good converting on them) but also Suter and Blueger. I like those guys but could you imagine Garlands point totals if instead he was setting up Miller, Boeser or Pettersson on the doorstep. Garland should be moved into the top 6 and he’d probably be a 60 point player.

he should considering his salary but Tocchet refused to do it for some reason. Rather have plugs like LAfferty playing with EP instead.

For what Garlands cap hit is and his utilization I wouldne be shocked if we traded him to make cap room. Get a 2nd round pick in this draft from a team and clear 4.95m. Retain 1m on Mik and send him to Pit for R. Smith. Use cap to sign Zad for under 5m and go after Trenin and a rhd in FA?

2 hours ago, arsenalian said:

I'm starting to lean towards targeting DeBrusk. Proven 25 goal scorer with good speed and size plus PK ability and seems to raise his game in the playoffs. He also fits our age group a little bit better. Not sure what he looking for though, does $5.5M x 5 get it done?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Diamonds said:

I'm starting to lean towards targeting DeBrusk. Proven 25 goal scorer with good speed and size plus PK ability and seems to raise his game in the playoffs. He also fits our age group a little bit better. Not sure what he looking for though, does $5.5M x 5 get it done?

Agreed. He's a good target

Would we even get into the room with debrusk though? 

10 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I think Debrusk will be under $5M TBH.  He's more of a 40 to 45 point guy.  $5M would be on the high end.

28 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I think Debrusk will be under $5M TBH.  He's more of a 40 to 45 point guy.  $5M would be on the high end.

Could he be a 65 point guy on Petey's wing? Then $5m becomes a real bargain.

1 hour ago, Strawbone said:

Could he be a 65 point guy on Petey's wing? Then $5m becomes a real bargain.

I think he could eclipse 50 points again... not sure about 65 points.  He played with some decent talent in BOS.  Most of his time with Coyle, but a significant time with Marchand, and some time with Pastrnak. 

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

While for the most part he has been in that 45 point range, he did lead the Bruins in the playoffs this year with 11 points in 13 games and had 6 points in 7 games last year. He also had 50 points in 64 regular season games last year so the potential to take another step is definitely there. If he finds any chemistry with Petey I can easily see him being a consistent 60-65 point guy. He feels like a current Dustin Brown, just a very solid all situations complimentary piece.

While for the most part he has been in that 45 point range, he did lead the Bruins in the playoffs this year with 11 points in 13 games and had 6 points in 7 games last year. He also had 50 points in 64 regular season games last year so the potential to take another step is definitely there. If he finds any chemistry with Petey I can easily see him being a consistent 60-65 point guy. He feels like a current Dustin Brown, just a very solid all situations complimentary piece.

Yup, he's definitely a candidate for getting more value than his cap hit.  Find enough players like that and we will be a powerhouse.  Imagine dumping Mikheyev and his $4.75M and handing that over to Debrusk.  Only difference is Debrusk then goes on to pot 25 goals and 35 assists on a regular basis.  What a boost that would be.

• Cheers 1