[Speculation] Lindholm apparently rejects Canucks offer of 7x7 extension

4 hours ago, arsenalian said:

Yes. Originally I was hoping for Guentzel, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense to retain Z and Myers, add another D and then get someone like Toffoli on a short term. Solid backend and there’s always TDL to try and find some good hockey trades to improve the offense.

Toffoli, while a solid player, is too slow for our team needs. Beyond Guentzel, Marchessault (and Stamkos, Reinhart, Lindholm though they're obviously less realistic), the rest of the guys seem like you're adding lateral guys from what we already have/are developing, at inflated UFA prices.

IMO, barring moving out cap, you bring back Zad, swing for Guentz or Marsh and if you miss, you spend some of that money on a Pesce, Tanev, Miller, Carrier etc to shore up the D, then look to the secondary UFA/buyout/cap clearing trade market for a value guy at F

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Florida took their foot off the gas for a bit that is why they almost lost. You nullify the big boys(Mcdavid/Draisytl) and you give yourself a good chance to win. We had the chance too but our offense(like Petey) couldn't capitalize and that is what you need from your high priced players. 

Some star players rise to occasion, and others not so much. I am hoping Petey learned something and his mental/physical toughness improves for next year.

Do you think if we had Guentzel for the playoff run, we'd get past Edmonton? Would a player like Guentzel have been the difference, and would he have helped Petey offensively? I'm hoping as well that Petey learned from this playoff run, and that he's better for it moving forward. If he's not, this team's in deep shit. 

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

Do you think if we had Guentzel for the playoff run, we'd get past Edmonton? Would a player like Guentzel have been the difference, and would he have helped Petey offensively? I'm hoping as well that Petey learned from this playoff run, and that he's better for it moving forward. If he's not, this team's in deep shit. 

If we had petey vs Edmonton we would have won.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm still in favor of bringing back Lindholm over Guentzel (if we really are still considering Guentzel). Guentzel is definitely the better offensive player, but having Lindholm's skillset really is important especially come playoff time.

Although it keeps sounding unlikely, I'd rather Lindholm at 7-7.5m as opposed to Guentzel at the guesstimated 8.5m-9m. Guentzel will definitely cost more, and I'd rather get Lindholm back if it's at all possible and not too costly.

Just now, ngoway said:

I'm still in favor of bringing back Lindholm over Guentzel (if we really are still considering Guentzel). Guentzel is definitely the better offensive player, but having Lindholm's skillset really is important especially come playoff time.

Although it keeps sounding unlikely, I'd rather Lindholm at 7-7.5m as opposed to Guentzel at the guesstimated 8.5m-9m. Guentzel will definitely cost more, and I'd rather get Lindholm back if it's at all possible and not too costly.

Management has been oddly very complimentary of Lekkerimaki. Part of me wonders if they want to try Guentzel/Petey/Lekk. Two highly paid guys and an ELC guy. 🤔 It would be a very bold move, and I doubt it's actually the case. Gambling your top 6 hopes on a 20 year old fresh from Sweden sounds risky. Lol. But fun speculation all the same. They might also try run a much cheaper 3rd line and promote Garland to the 2nd line alongside Petey and Guentzel. I don't like that idea, but it's one on the table. Especially since Garland is already making fringe top 6 money anyway.

I been pro-Lindholm before we even acquired him. But it certainly seems like he wants to test free agency. And the downside to that is, Boston is gonna throw all their cap at him. So, I think it's safe to say Lindholm is going to Boston. They are crazy thin at center. He'll have more opportunities there. Here he has to play RW. I think he's better suited to playing down the middle.

3 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Management has been oddly very complimentary of Lekkerimaki. Part of me wonders if they want to try Guentzel/Petey/Lekk. Two highly paid guys and an ELC guy. 🤔 It would be a very bold move, and I doubt it's actually the case. Gambling your top 6 hopes on a 20 year old fresh from Sweden sounds risky. Lol. But fun speculation all the same. They might also try run a much cheaper 3rd line and promote Garland to the 2nd line alongside Petey and Guentzel. I don't like that idea, but it's one on the table. Especially since Garland is already making fringe top 6 money anyway.

I been pro-Lindholm before we even acquired him. But it certainly seems like he wants to test free agency. And the downside to that is, Boston is gonna throw all their cap at him. So, I think it's safe to say Lindholm is going to Boston. They are crazy thin at center. He'll have more opportunities there. Here he has to play RW. I think he's better suited to playing down the middle.

I think Lekkerimäki could benefit from a full year in the AHL. Also if Lekkerimäki or Garland were to move up with Petey, they'd need some size on the LW for sure.

Also Lindholm has some more size than Guentzel which is always amplified in the playoffs. I can't blame Lindholm for wanting to weigh his options in free agency. There is still a chance he really likes Vancouver and decides to return for less money. I don't think the Lindholm option is completely shut yet, but there's a good possibility Boston will end up making the best offer.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

And likely play with Pastrnak and/or Marchand... I'll be pretty surprised if he doesn't end up there. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

And likely play with Pastrnak and/or Marchand... I'll be pretty surprised if he doesn't end up there. 

Going to a Cup contender, gets the 1C role, playing alongside Pasta. Yeah, Vancouver is awesome and all. But that Bruins team with him would be my early cup favourite. They did a lot of damage without a 1C. Makes me sick just thinking about it. Hopefully Florida can keep the band together and keep knocking them out. Lol.

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, ngoway said:

Guentzel is definitely the better offensive player, but having Lindholm's skillset really is important especially come playoff time.

We are completely committed to Elias Pettersson with an enormous, franchise-defining contract. Finding him a longterm winger is absolutely paramount.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, nergish said:

We are completely committed to Elias Pettersson with an enormous, franchise-defining contract. Finding him a longterm winger is absolutely paramount.

We never really got extended looks at Pettersson on LW and Lindholm at C, or Pettersson at C and Lindholm at RW. Someone who plays C can quite easily shift to the wing and is also some nice insurance for when the initial C is waived out of the dot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, canucks curse said:

We just signed Bluegger 

so doubt Lindy is back 

Blueger is the 3C. We wouldn't bring Lindholm back to play 3C again. If Lindholm comes back, he would quite likely be paired with Pettersson on the 1st/2nd line.

Edited by ngoway
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

How would everybody feel if we circled back to Lindholm now and re-signed him to a $7.5m x 7 deal?

IMHO I feel like they can do better in terms of building a more balanced team...good player but doesn't really have a "spot" that works in the lineup. Plus that much term for a guy at his age seems unwise.

8 hours ago, ngoway said:

I think it's wishful thinking at this point with Lindholm. He's not coming back. 

1 hour ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

IMHO I feel like they can do better in terms of building a more balanced team...good player but doesn't really have a "spot" that works in the lineup. Plus that much term for a guy at his age seems unwise.

Blueger probably the 3C now. 

7 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Going to a Cup contender, gets the 1C role, playing alongside Pasta. Yeah, Vancouver is awesome and all. But that Bruins team with him would be my early cup favourite. They did a lot of damage without a 1C. Makes me sick just thinking about it. Hopefully Florida can keep the band together and keep knocking them out. Lol.

Could win the cup next year. lol. Well, at the very least, they'll give Toronto fits. 

8 hours ago, ngoway said:

I think Lekkerimäki could benefit from a full year in the AHL. Also if Lekkerimäki or Garland were to move up with Petey, they'd need some size on the LW for sure.

Also Lindholm has some more size than Guentzel which is always amplified in the playoffs. I can't blame Lindholm for wanting to weigh his options in free agency. There is still a chance he really likes Vancouver and decides to return for less money. I don't think the Lindholm option is completely shut yet, but there's a good possibility Boston will end up making the best offer.

There's no way he comes back for less money lol. It feels like to me that he's as good as gone. 

Lindholm and Petey last season didn't seem to work. Guentzel to me is the prime winger on the market come July 1. Now there are some rumours that he could be asking for 11m. if that's the case, then I think management would be wise to pass on that. Don't want to be Toronto. But I think Lindholm is not coming back, probably as it seems everyone is saying, he'll probably land in Boston (yuk). 

Lekkerimäki definitely would benefit from a full year in the Abbotsford. But let's see how he performs in training camp. If he impresses, maybe he gets a few games, before management sees whether he can hack it or whether it's more beneficial for him to be sent down to Abby for further refinement. 

• Like 1