[Speculation] Lindholm apparently rejects Canucks offer of 7x7 extension

The length of the contract is what worries me. After his sub par performance for us last year I would be more inclined to pay him more than 7m on a shorter term deal than get stuck with an overpaid player for another 7 years. 

I’’m ok with 7x7.

He would be a good insurance policy as a centre if JT or Petey goes down and should help the PP and PK. He was great as a shut down guy in the playoffs and found his offensive game again.

He plays hard and is a playoff beast.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Viking said:

If Lindholm is signed by Canucks 1 of JT Miller and E. Pettersson have to move to wing. You can NOT pay 7m or more for a #3C that is just stupid!

I wonder if Canucks offer Hoglander with Mikheyev to a team like Chicago to take Mik's full cap hit. I also wonder why we are trying to add a top 6 F when we have a 4.95m winger name Garland? If Garland isn't going to be used in top 6 I would trade him, I like him but that cap hit is just too high for a 3rd liner.

Interesting- the idea of J.T. going back to wing is seldom mentioned, but is definitely an option.

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

Interesting- the idea of J.T. going back to wing is seldom mentioned, but is definitely an option.

It's always an option, but JT is so strong down the middle I wouldn't even entertain that given we have Petey who is a natural winger.

• Cheers 1

Unless he really wants to stay in Vancouver he’ll get more than 7x7 pretty easily as a UFA.

unfortunately I’m doubtful he’d  take that.

Even thou its a good offer.

7 x 7 with some buyout flexibility down the line would be great.  

Not sure Lindy goes for it, but I’d be happy with that deal.

I figured Allvin would throw out a “tough but fair” offer to Lindholm to chew on.  Sounds like Lindholm will want to check out FA so I doubt he jumps at it… but maybe he circles back before we book the money elsewhere?

12 minutes ago, The Duke said:

7 x 7 with some buyout flexibility down the line would be great.  

Not sure Lindy goes for it, but I’d be happy with that deal.

I figured Allvin would throw out a “tough but fair” offer to Lindholm to chew on.  Sounds like Lindholm will want to check out FA so I doubt he jumps at it… but maybe he circles back before we book the money elsewhere?

Front loaded?

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Man.. that's quite the deal. Kinda doubt it's even enough to get it done, but more then I'd personally be wanting us to spend on him. I'm really mixed on this, I hope he holds off and signs for money. Unless he can come back and show he can work with Petey next year, I hate the idea of spending 7m on a 3C

Don't see him playing 3C, but likely on Peteys line...

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The way I see it is we have a few options.

We either keep adding cheaper vets on short deals and hope that we can find the right mix and maybe get lucky.

We can trade what little assets we have in terms of futures and prospects and try and get some younger impact players and hope that works.

Or we can sign guys who we know are fits and are willing to take a little less to stay and we can go for it with this current group for the next 5 or 6 years.

The reality is our lack of consistently good drafting and trading of picks was always going to put us in this position. We just don’t have that next group of core players coming up to try and boost this team. So we need to sign guys in their prime like this. It’s the only way we don’t waste the prime years of our current core players

That's exactly it.  When you have a core that includes a Norris calibre defenceman, you need to go for it.  To win a Cup, you pretty much need one of those.  Not sure the last time a Cup winner didn't have a Norris level defenceman.  Some might say VGK, but the fact Pietrangelo was the guy for both STL and VGK when they won their cups, I'd say he's the Norris level defenceman.  The others all had defenceman that could and did challenge for a Norris:  COL, TBL, WAS, PIT, CHI, LAK, BOS, DET, ANA, etc...

Ironic the last team that won a Cup without a Norris level defenceman was Rutherford's Hurricanes.

Just now, MeanSeanBean said:

Maybe,  but he didn't have much success with Petey when they tried that last season when we had him.

It was a small sample size, and Petey was not at his best... 

Petey on to the wing (believe he was the C while the played together)... 

Lindholm brings some steeliness to a line with Petey, while obviously able to play tough hockey...

He could alternatively play with Miller, but don't see that, and on top of this, in case of injury to either petey or Miller, he can slip straight into the line up... I was very impressed with lindholm during the play offs, and he does drive into the dirty areas...

He, of course, can also play as 3C, but I agree that is a lot of money to spend on a 3C and don't see them planning on this being the plan.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Yeah, it depends on a lot of factors, money only being one of them.

I don't really know what is most important to Lindholm, so your guess is as good as mine. That being said, I'd rather raise a family in Boston, rather than Miami, or Dallas....

I've been to Texas a few times, it's actually pretty nice. 

• Cheers 1

It's definitely a fair offer and pretty much what we should have offered Horvat earlier on.

While a team will likely pay more in free agency, this puts the ball firmly in Lindholm's court. If he wants to be here this is a fair deal to get it done. I'm guessing this is also Allvin's take it or leave it deal.

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I've been to Texas a few times, it's actually pretty nice. 

I'm sure it is....but if I was raising kids, I'd want them to get an education. Not what Texas Republicans think an education is....

• Like 1

Take it FWIW, but Elliotte Friedman says Lindy already has (or will shortly) declined the Canucks' offer.

Whatever you think of EF as a source, I'd bet that he's right on this one. I didn't think there was much of a chance it would be accepted.....

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

I'm sure it is....but if I was raising kids, I'd want them to get an education. Not what Texas Republicans think an education is....

Oh it would be private school tho. Except maybe in Austin.

4 hours ago, RWJC said:

Morning Notes: Lindholm, Blackhawks, Larsen

June 7th, 2024 at 9:56am CST • By Josh Cybulski

The Vancouver Canucks are reportedly willing to offer pending unrestricted free agent center Elias Lindholm a contract extension around seven years and $7MM annually (as per Elliotte Friedman on 32 Thoughts). The deal if signed would be a replica of the deal Nazem Kadri signed with the Calgary Flames in August of 2022 and would be a substantial drop from his contract expectations last fall when many thought Lindholm could fetch a $9MM AAV.

While the potential offer is $7MM annually, there is no guarantee that Lindholm will sign for that, and Friedman isn’t sure that the Canucks can get a deal done at that number. The Canucks reportedly want Lindholm to return, but with the sheer volume of free agents on their roster it might be difficult to get a deal done with the 29-year-old.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/06/morning-notes-lindholm-blackhawks-larsen.html#ref=home

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I'm a bit surprised at how many people don't see this, and just say "3C" as if Lindys versatility isn't worth a lot? dunno, to me he seems like exactly who we want for sustained playoff runs

To me it's a no brainer, it ticks off an item off the grocery list. However is 7x7 enough. Boston offers 8x7 Lindholm probably takes Boston deal. 

• Like 1

Just now, RupertKBD said:

Take it FWIW, but Elliotte Friedman says Lindy already has (or will shortly) declined the Canucks' offer.

Whatever you think of EF as a source, I'd bet that he's right on this one. I didn't think there was much of a chance it would be accepted.....

I'm ok with this if true. We made a good offer.