[Speculation] Lindholm apparently rejects Canucks offer of 7x7 extension

1 minute ago, qwijjibo said:

But less money per game played. And he has to play a year longer to get the same money.  If 2 employers came to you with those 2 offers, which would you take? 

If I'm guaranteed to be paid either way, I wouldn't care TBH.  I get it whether I'm good or not at my job.  I could be completely useless at work and still get paid lol

Just now, HKSR said:

If I'm guaranteed to be paid either way, I wouldn't care TBH.  I get it whether I'm good or not at my job.  I could be completely useless at work and still get paid lol

Naw come on now. I'll be your agent. You need a stern chat.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

The flexibility is key - play Lindholm and Petey together, or Petey on the Lotto line, or all 3 as separate centers. Impossible for teams to defend that mid-game. We can roll against deep forward units like Dallas, or shutdown top-heavy ones, or if we're pressing for a goal load up the Lotto line.

Can't do that if we just acquire Necas.

I'm not sold on Necas either....

But I'm also not convinced by the argument that Lindy would give us more flexibility than finding a top six forward would. Lindy would give us more center and defensive matchup options, yes. But resigning him would effectively force us to play Petey as a 11.6m winger, or else pay Lindy 7-8m as a third center. Both options seem less than ideal - in a cap world.

Investing instead in a top six winger, such as Guentzel, would give us the flexibility to move Petey back to center (and form two solid forward pairs), while also giving us more options on the powerplay.

To be clear, I wouldn't be disappointed if they resigned Lindy at a reasonble price. I see the argument for that. But I also see a strong argument for using that cap space to sign a top six forward instead.

1 minute ago, syntheticity said:

I'm not sold on Necas either....

But I'm also not convinced by the argument that Lindy would give us more flexibility than finding a top six forward would. Lindy would give us more center and defensive matchup options, yes. But resigning him would effectively force us to play Petey as a 11.6m winger, or else pay Lindy 7-8m as a third center. Both options seem less than ideal - in a cap world.

Investing instead in a top six winger, such as Guentzel, would give us the flexibility to move Petey back to center (and form two solid forward pairs), while also giving us more options on the powerplay.

To be clear, I wouldn't be disappointed if they resigned Lindy at a reasonble price. I see the argument for that. But I also see a strong argument for using that cap space to sign a top six forward instead.

Unless management is looking at a Peterson trade for a mountain of assets.  He sort of proved to me he's not a leader or really a team kinda guy.  Maybe tochett has said "look, he's a good player but he's not the kinda guy who wins championships"  if I looked st the top 10 players in the league they all have incredible leadership capabilities and go to war for thier team.  

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

big risk for anyone to pay him more

his production has declined

7m is very fair, and 7 years is a lot of term coming off of a pretty bad year overall

i know reports are boston really wants him but i have my doubts theyll pay him 8m+. 

I think Boston would go 8-8.5 / season.

They absolutely need a C for Marchand and Pasta.

And you could project that as a reasonably great fit for Lindy being the 3rd best player on the line and being a solid C would really mesh well with them similar to how an older Bergeron looked with them.

save that money and cap space. 

sign a cheaper version of him in free agency on a 1-2 yr deal

cap space is valuable and we have it now. A better player will be available sometime next season.                 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

cap space is valuable and we have it now. A better player will be available sometime next season.                 

Such as?

• Cheers 1

I'm not really sure money is the issue for Lindholm as much as it as fit and role that he could play.

I'm sure Elias wants to be a mainstay on PP1, PK1, first C to go over the boards for important offensive situations, and be seen as a front line offensive contributor. Not sure Canucks can offer him that with Pettersson and Miller soaking up those minutes.

I do think money is important for him - but I see what will likely draw him away to another team in FA is someone willing to give him front line minutes. Here could find that in many places that can also be competitive like a Boston. Or places that want a true 1C in Columbus, Chicago, Nashville, Anaheim, and Utah. 

8 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

Not sure of many top 6 centres that would sign a 1 or 2 year deal as a UFA....

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I'm not really sure money is the issue for Lindholm as much as it as fit and role that he could play.

I'm sure Elias wants to be a mainstay on PP1, PK1, first C to go over the boards for important offensive situations, and be seen as a front line offensive contributor. Not sure Canucks can offer him that with Pettersson and Miller soaking up those minutes.

I do think money is important for him - but I see what will likely draw him away to another team in FA is someone willing to give him front line minutes. Here could find that in many places that can also be competitive like a Boston. Or places that want a true 1C in Columbus, Chicago, Nashville, Anaheim, and Utah. 

Not every player wants to be the guy or top dog. Some are more comfortable in a suport role and at 5 on 5 I think he benefits from softer 3rd line matchups. He can still be a top contributer on pk and pp. 

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Not sure of many top 6 centres that would sign a 1 or 2 year deal as a UFA....

then re-sign Blueger for another year or two at half the price. 

Lindy was a luxury piece for us, we did just fine before he got here. 

our main priority this summer should be find a winger for Petey via trade or FA.

Hoglander - Pettersson - _____ 

Suter - Miller - Boeser

Joshua - Blueger - Garland

Bains - Aman - Podkolzin

• Upvote 1

I would do it. I think he proved how important he was during the playoffs & how much more formidable we can be with 3Cs like that.

In the regular season a 7M 3C doesn't look great (tho he plays more than that), but this move would be made for the playoffs & increasing our chances of winning a Stanley Cup. Demko has a few years at 5M, Hughes 3 at 7.8, I think the time is now. 

As Elliotte said to Jeff aswell, Lindholm/Miller/Pettersson are all flexible & can play wing. I'd even love to see JT/Lindholm get a run.

I imagine they think they can get the same 56 mill JT got on the open market. 7.2 x 7 gets Lindholm just over 50 million total, does that do it?? I wonder

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

Lafferty won't be resigned this summer, we have enough guys who can step in. Mikheyev, I'd like to see them move him, but even with 1 - 1.5 million retained, it's still a reach I think, but that's what I'm hoping for so we don't wind up with him on the books for another 4 years.

But who steps in? It's not about Lafferty. It's about spending 7 million on a defense first center, who's nearly 30 and who may have already put his best offensive years behind him. That's a lot of cap to commit when we don't have enough wingers pushing to fill out 3 robust lines. Yes, it would make us very deep at center, maybe the best 3 centers in the league. But does that strength out weight the potential weakness of playing those centers with a weak winger group?

It's very possible Allvin is able to find new wingers though to fill out that depth. But it definitely worries me.

• ThereItIs 1

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

lets trade Lindy's rights for Guentzels rights. 

Mutual sign and trade?

But even that trade for rights, would be better than sending a draft pick, just to find out that Jake still wants to go to free agency, for a look see.

• ThereItIs 1

17 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Isn’t Nescas holding the Canes ransom for top 2 centre money because he believes he’s a centre and should be paid like one?  The Canes are a friggin’ mess. Not too sure what they’re doing over there. 

Posted (edited)

Lindholm: 7.5x7

Zadorov: 4.5x7

Blueger: 2x2

Myers: 2.85x2

Silovs: 1x2

Friedman: 820x2

Guentzel: 7x7

DeMelo: 4x3

Stenlund: 1x1

Motte: 900x1

Suter to San Jose for a 5th

Hronek to Utah for 2 2nds (FLA/WSH)  and Maveric Lamoureux

Cap space: $58,333

Guentzel - Lindholm - Pettersson

Höglander - Miller - Boeser

Podkolzin - Blueger - Garland

Motte - Stenlund - Karlsson

PDG

Hughes - DeMelo

Zadorov - Myers

Soucy - Juulsen

Friedman, McWard

Demko

Silovs

Would hurt to lose Joshua, but that was the only way to fill out this roster fairly well. Could move on from Garland and then bring Dak back if we wanted to go that route. 

Edited by Pears
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Isn’t Nescas holding the Canes ransom for top 2 centre money because he believes he’s a centre and should be paid like one?  The Canes are a friggin’ mess. Not too sure what they’re doing over there. 

Dunno, owner meddling at it best I guess.

58 minutes ago, Pears said:

Lindholm: 7.5x7

Zadorov: 4.5x7

Blueger: 2x2

Myers: 2.85x2

Silovs: 1x2

Friedman: 820x2

Guentzel: 7x7

DeMelo: 4x3

Stenlund: 1x1

Motte: 900x1

Suter to San Jose for a 5th

Hronek to Utah for 2 2nds (FLA/WSH)  and Maveric Lamoureux

Cap space: $58,333

Guentzel - Lindholm - Pettersson

Höglander - Miller - Boeser

Podkolzin - Blueger - Garland

Motte - Stenlund - Karlsson

PDG

Hughes - DeMelo

Zadorov - Myers

Soucy - Juulsen

Friedman, McWard

Demko

Silovs

Would hurt to lose Joshua, but that was the only way to fill out this roster fairly well. Could move on from Garland and then bring Dak back if we wanted to go that route. 

In what world does Guenztel sign for less than Lindholm? 🤨

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

There's a question! I imagine they are both aiming for the same type of contract (8x7). Both are the same age (Guentzel a few months older in fact).

If the number is basically the same, who would you prefer?

Guentzel will be more productive but come playoff time I think Id lean having another top C

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Like 1

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

There's a question! I imagine they are both aiming for the same type of contract (8x7). Both are the same age (Guentzel a few months older in fact).

If the number is basically the same, who would you prefer?

Guentzel will be more productive but come playoff time I think Id lean having the another top C

I'd take Lindholm all day, every day. Center depth is everything. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1