[Speculation] Penguins Trade Rumors: Updated Status on 3 Pittsburgh Trade Candidates

Penguins Trade Rumors: Updated Status on 3 Pittsburgh Trade Candidates

Dave Litman Friday, June 07, 2024 

Three names have been making the rounds on the rumor mill from the Pittsburgh Penguins. Trade talks are at significantly different stages surrounding Reilly Smith, Tristan Jarry and Ryan Graves. 

Rob Rossi has reported in The Athletic that the most urgent talks surround Smith. 

“Several teams believe (GM Kyle) Dubas is trying to trade forward Reilly Smith, who did not fit as hoped upon his acquisition at the 2023 NHL Draft, league sources said.”

Smith was on the trade block back at the deadline in March as well, though nothing came to fruition. The veteran forward never fit in in his one season in the City of Bridges, and finished with a career-low 13 goals (since becoming a regular 11 years ago) and 40 points in 16 minutes a night. His shot percentage was also at an all-time low for the 33-year-old, at just 8.6%. Things just never clicked. 

Smith is entering the final year of his contract, with a $5 million cap hit. 

As for Jarry, there's "a sense" among other teams around the league that the goaltender is available, per Rossi.

The team's front office was disappointed that the presumed No. 1 netminder was unable to wrestle the top job from Alex Nedeljkovic late in the season. But still, they'll only trade Jarry if they can use the deal to "directly or indirectly (through cleared cap space)" land themselves a top-six forward or top-four defenseman. Jarry has four years remaining on his deal with a $5.375 million annual cap hit. 

As for Graves, it doesn't sound like there's a trade to be had. "His first season with the Penguins was perceived internally as a bust," writes Rossi. "Dubas does not believe there is a market for Graves without the Penguins eating significant salary, so the hope is Graves rebounds in his second season." Despite the five years remaining on his contract with a $4.5 million cap hit, it sounds like Graves will be demoted to a third-pairing role this season. 

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/06/penguins-trade-rumors-updated-status-on.html

• Vintage 1

Mikheyev for Smith.  Change of scenery for both.  Dubas loves him so Mikheyev.  Shaves a year off cap commitment leading into the 2 worst years of OEL's buyout cap hit.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Mikheyev for Smith.  Change of scenery for both.  Dubas loves him so Mikheyev.  Shaves a year off cap commitment leading into the 2 worst years of OEL's buyout cap hit.

They trade Guentzel for futures mid playoff push. They don't want Mikheyev.

23 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Penguins Trade Rumors: Updated Status on 3 Pittsburgh Trade Candidates

Dave Litman Friday, June 07, 2024 

Three names have been making the rounds on the rumor mill from the Pittsburgh Penguins. Trade talks are at significantly different stages surrounding Reilly Smith, Tristan Jarry and Ryan Graves. 

Rob Rossi has reported in The Athletic that the most urgent talks surround Smith. 

“Several teams believe (GM Kyle) Dubas is trying to trade forward Reilly Smith, who did not fit as hoped upon his acquisition at the 2023 NHL Draft, league sources said.”

Smith was on the trade block back at the deadline in March as well, though nothing came to fruition. The veteran forward never fit in in his one season in the City of Bridges, and finished with a career-low 13 goals (since becoming a regular 11 years ago) and 40 points in 16 minutes a night. His shot percentage was also at an all-time low for the 33-year-old, at just 8.6%. Things just never clicked. 

Smith is entering the final year of his contract, with a $5 million cap hit. 

As for Jarry, there's "a sense" among other teams around the league that the goaltender is available, per Rossi.

The team's front office was disappointed that the presumed No. 1 netminder was unable to wrestle the top job from Alex Nedeljkovic late in the season. But still, they'll only trade Jarry if they can use the deal to "directly or indirectly (through cleared cap space)" land themselves a top-six forward or top-four defenseman. Jarry has four years remaining on his deal with a $5.375 million annual cap hit. 

As for Graves, it doesn't sound like there's a trade to be had. "His first season with the Penguins was perceived internally as a bust," writes Rossi. "Dubas does not believe there is a market for Graves without the Penguins eating significant salary, so the hope is Graves rebounds in his second season." Despite the five years remaining on his contract with a $4.5 million cap hit, it sounds like Graves will be demoted to a third-pairing role this season. 

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/06/penguins-trade-rumors-updated-status-on.html

I would do Mikheyev for Graves. I think graves could thrive under tocchets system. His contract only runs till he is 33 so it's not a big gamble on age.

Would free us up money to go after a top 6 winger upgrade.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

I would do Mikheyev for Graves. I think graves could thrive under tocchets system. His contract only runs till he is 33 so it's not a big gamble on age.

Would free us up money to go after a top 6 winger upgrade.

Graves is a LHD... do we not re-sign Zadorov?  I can't see us running Hughes, Zadorov, Soucy, and Graves ... they're all LHD.

Just now, HKSR said:

Graves is a LHD... do we not re-sign Zadorov?  I can't see us running Hughes, Zadorov, Soucy, and Graves ... they're all LHD.

Zadorovs cap would be re allocated to a top 6 winger. The beauty of the trade would be washing our hands of mikeyevs contract without trading futures.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, JeremyCuddles said:

They trade Guentzel for futures mid playoff push. They don't want Mikheyev.

Dubas might. I posted an article in another thread of how he continues to chase his faves/players he’s personally scouted and vetted for. Bunting was one. Mik might be another 

Just now, RWJC said:

Dubas might. I posted an article in another thread of how he continues to chase his faves/players he’s personally scouted and vetted for. Bunting was one. Mik might be another 

Honestly Mikheyev is a good gamble for him.

Hes a candidate for a bounce back season and would cost them very little.

The issue for the Canucks is he’s just not a fit in the top 6 with our group and allocating that much money to our third line doesn’t make sense.

I think Smith is also another candidate for a bounce back season. He could be a good support player for Pettersson.

Something like:

Hoglander Miller Boeser

Pettersson Lindholm Smith

Podkolzin Suter Garland

• Cheers 1

Why would we even worry about them when Crosby is evidently interested in playing here or whatever rumour people were spreading a few months back 

Pettersson

Miller

Crosby

Lindholm

That's some centre depth

And yes I am being facetious

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, RWJC said:

If Dumbass is that high on him, we can always hope. Won't hold my breath though.

• Cheers 1

With PIT looking to unload Graves, what if I told you if we went with a Mikheyev <-> Graves swap, then moved our favourite little angry elf in Garland, we could afford a lineup like this?

Guentzel-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Lindholm-Pettersson

Podkolzin-Suter-Duhaime

PDG-Aman-Karlsson

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Graves-Juulsen

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

It sounds like re-signing Zadorov is becoming less likely. I would be pretty happy with Graves as a replacement and especially if it means dumping Mikheyev's contract.

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

What did he say?

My understanding was he was really upset about being traded thats why he played bad.

Like pouting about it. It was talked about on a radio show during the year I dont remember it exactly but it was something like he didn't adjust well to playing in pits and didn't wanna be traded and he was having hard time getting over it

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

My understanding was he was really upset about being traded thats why he played bad.

Like pouting about it. It was talked about on a radio show during the year I dont remember it exactly but it was something like he didn't adjust well to playing in pits and didn't wanna be traded and he was having hard time getting over it

Best to steer clear of him then if that's the case.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Best to steer clear of him then if that's the case.

Hes also inconsistent at this stage in his career hes almost alternated years in good/bad