[Speculation] Casey DeSmith Expected To Test Free Agency

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

How many of these goalie prospects won the best PLAYER award at the World Championships?

Well, I mean just the year before the winner was elite NHL goalie Juho Olkinuora so that makes your point… oh wait, sorry… I checked again.   He is an undrafted playing on a lower tier European league after flailing around in the AHL.

Why even post things that you don’t bother to look up?

24 minutes ago, Provost said:

Well, I mean just the year before the winner was elite NHL goalie Juho Olkinuora so that makes your point… oh wait, sorry… I checked again.   He is an undrafted playing on a lower tier European league after flailing around in the AHL.

Why even post things that you don’t bother to look up?

Nice cherry picking.  Why don't you post the other MVP winners of the World Championships?  Don't worry, I'll do it for you...

Patrick Kane

Kevin Fiala

Jaromir Jagr

Patrik Laine

Evgeni Malkin

Roman Josi

Rick Nash

Dany Heatley

Ilya Kovalchuk

Joe Thornton 

Pekka Rinne

Niklas Kronwall

Mats Sundin

Teemu Selanne

Miroslav Satan

Mark Stone

Willian Nylander

Andrew Mangiapane

Notice a pattern?  Seems like most are legit NHL all-stars, some are even NHL Hall of Famers, but you cherry picked one guy to make it look like it is a sham award...

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Provost said:

So you have made a bunch of assumptions and your ability to tell the future?

There are plenty of goalie prospects who look good, virtually none of them manage to turn into a reliable NHL starter.  By FAR the greatest likelihood is that this is the high water mark for trade value for Silovs.  Back up goalies are easy to get on the market.  There are a number of teams looking for goaltending help, and if he can get us a return, he is a luxury right now and not a necessity for the roster.

You don't avoid making the team better now for the remote chance that Demko isn't able to be a starter anymore AND exactly at the point where Silovs is available for us and hasn't wanted to move on to further his development.

My point really was that Silovs has no trade value right now and he might not still in 3-4 years. I can’t tell the future. Making the point that we can make our team better right now by giving up Silovs is a moot point. Goalies rarely get traded for much. You maybe could move Silovs for a bottom 6 forward right now but more than likely his current trade value is maybe like a mid-late round pick. My response to the initial comment was really because you just can’t get much out of him unless you package him with a good trade package. 

I can’t think of a situation in recent years where an inexperienced young goalie was traded for anything of significance, unless maybe part of a larger deal. At the same time, I also think it’s a terrible idea with little goalie talent in the pipeline to move Silovs. At worst he’s a strong backup and we move him in a package in a couple years for something helpful or he just completely flames out and we move on eventually. At best, he could be a top tier starter for us down the road. Definitely not a player I would consider moving right now. In fact, outside of Willander he’s the last prospect in our organization I’d trade right now. Willander and Silovs are the most valuable assets in the pipeline due to position and potential. I’d move Lekkerimaki in a package deal for a high end forward or dman right now but I wouldn’t move Silovs. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I think we can get him for 1 mil x 2 years. He'll get the Podz deal.

They need to sign him for 3 years. Having Demko and his back up/possible replacement both coming up in the same off season is a recipe for overpayment. 

Having Arty under contract for at least a year past Demko allows for at least some restraint in resigning Demko... or trading Demko if Arty is looking ready in a year, or if Demko continues with injuries.  

Edited by rmok

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He literally played 10 games as a starter in the playoffs.  Why don't you think he could play 25-30 games as a backup?

Well first of all that’s three times the workload. Also his numbers weren’t great.

And the backup role is so much different. You don’t get to play every other night and get in a rhythm. You can go weeks without playing before you get a start. It’s very tough especially for a rookie.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well first of all that’s three times the workload. Also his numbers weren’t great.

And the backup role is so much different. You don’t get to play every other night and get in a rhythm. You can go weeks without playing before you get a start. It’s very tough especially for a rookie.

He played 7 games against arguably the best or 2nd best team in the NHL.  A backup goaltender doesn't normally play against elite competition.  DeSmith didn't have better numbers in the regular season playing primarily against weak competition.  Also, if he's playing 25-30 games he won't be going weeks without game action.  Ian Clark will certainly shrink Demko's workload next season.  Demko has pretty much proven that he can't handle playing more than 50-55 games without getting injured...

1 hour ago, rmok said:

They need to sign him for 3 years. Having Demko and his back up/possible replacement both coming up in the same off season is a recipe for overpayment. 

Having Arty under contract for at least a year past Demko allows for at least some restraint in resigning Demko... or trading Demko if Arty is looking ready in a year, or if Demko continues with injuries.  

I think that runs him to free agency tho, so maybe 2 or 4 years? 4 seems like a long bet to me tho. 

4 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Are You Insane GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

He’s our future #1 goaltender 

I can't tell if this is sarcasm... I thought DiPietro was our future #1 goalie, or whatever random assortment of guys that have been drafted or come through here.

4 hours ago, Provost said:

I can't tell if this is sarcasm... I thought DiPietro was our future #1 goalie, or whatever random assortment of guys that have been drafted or come through here.

I must be forgetting the time DiPietro (or any of those others) got us all the way to game 7 of the second round of the playoffs. Or win any playoff games for that matter. 

Sucks to be a backup goalie… have one terrible game and its all anyone remembers. No one seems to remember that he had a higher 5 on 5 save percentage than Demko did in the regular season… (at least close to the end of the season, I assumed it finished that way)

On 6/7/2024 at 6:10 PM, R3aL said:

Minnesota game was where I kinda lost my belief in him. But honestly he was a decent back up and he won a big playoff game for us

If that's your yardstick, then we might as well blow up the team.... The whole team stunk up the joint on that game.

14 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He played 7 games against arguably the best or 2nd best team in the NHL.  A backup goaltender doesn't normally play against elite competition.  DeSmith didn't have better numbers in the regular season playing primarily against weak competition.  Also, if he's playing 25-30 games he won't be going weeks without game action.  Ian Clark will certainly shrink Demko's workload next season.  Demko has pretty much proven that he can't handle playing more than 50-55 games without getting injured...

Don't tell @King Heffy that Arty played 7 games against one of arguably, the best teams in the NHL. 

He will have a fit. 

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If that's your yardstick, then we might as well blow up the team.... The whole team stunk up the joint on that game.

Not my measuring stick at all but it was just a moment where you realized how different our team looks.

demko prolly started more games than he should of down the stretch before getting hurt because there was some confidence lost in us being able to win with Casey in net.