[Article] Canucks: This is a big summer for Elias Pettersson, Rick Tocchet says

RWJC

9 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

he needs to do some squats and core training. 

adding 15-20 lbs of muscle will do wonders for him. 

Even just 10 maybe. Pettersson leaves himself vulnerable so much of the time. He almost swerves guys but the catch a piece of him. The way he's always played though.

Needs to adjust that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Even just 10 maybe. Pettersson leaves himself vulnerable so much of the time. He almost swerves guys but the catch a piece of him. The way he's always played though.

Needs to adjust that.

he's listed as 6'2 178 lbs, he should be at least 200lbs. his lower body needs to be able to withstand the crosschecks and shoves so he can win some board battles. 

I mean, he can win corner battles in the regular season using his dekes from time to time but in the playoffs he was getting manhandled in the puck battles too often. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

he's listed as 6'2 178 lbs, he should be at least 200lbs. his lower body needs to be able to withstand the crosschecks and shoves so he can win some board battles. 

I mean, he can win corner battles in the regular season using his dekes from time to time but in the playoffs he was getting manhandled in the puck battles too often. 

Petey’s legs are massive tree trunks. He’s still working on building his upper body. Plus, being super strong isn’t key to winning for a pjj k Ayer like Petey. It’s balancing his natural elite skills with his hyper compete personality l. Petey should NEVER play for big hits. He should focus on smart play with his stick and body position. Petey is learning and he g he as the perfect coach to guide him. Tocchet played with the greatest. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

This was a wise move for Tocchet to make his advice to Petey public at this point in time.  Because if it becomes clear that Petey isn't showing 110% buy in, or any push back at all, then it would be clear that the team is justified in trying to trade him before his NTC kicks in.

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, RWJC said:

Canucks: This is a big summer for Elias Pettersson, Rick Tocchet says

Rick Tocchet believes in his potential superstar centre.

That much is clear. He just knows that there’s so much more inside Elias Pettersson.

Thursday morning on Sportsnet 650 radio, the Vancouver Canucks head coach once again publicly challenged Pettersson.

“This is a big summer for him,” Tocchet told morning show hosts Mike Halford and Jamie Dodd, who was sitting in for Halford’s usual broadcast partner Jason Brough, who is on holidays.

“I’d like to see him top three, one of the best-shape guys.”

In other words, last year Pettersson wasn’t one of the team’s fitness leaders heading into training camp.

It’s not the first time Tocchet has suggested Pettersson’s preparation still has room for growth. During the 2023-24 season, he said he thought Pettersson’s practice habits needed improving.

Late in the season, he said they had. But after a playoff run where he was often absent from the storyline, it’s clear Tocchet has revived his efforts to push Pettersson to a new level.

You expect that Pettersson will respond.

“Pressure’s good,” the centre said in March, not long after he signed his eight-year, $92.8 million contract extension, which kicks in this summer.

Pressure to help his team get somewhere special, somewhere triumphant. Pressure to live up to his big new contract. Pressure to show he can be one of the best in the game.

During his Thursday interview, Tocchet highlighted how Tampa stars Nikita Kucherov and Steve Stamkos were already on the ice together.

According to Ryan McDonagh, their once-again teammate, the two had gotten back on the ice by at least May 21, less than a month after the Lightning were eliminated from the 2024 Stanley Cup playoffs.

Tocchet pointed out that for a long time in Vancouver, the season had been only between September and April, that preparing for a playoff run hadn’t been part of the mentality.

But now they’ve been to the playoffs. His players have experienced the physical demands an extended season places on you. That’s why you need to start preparing earlier, he implied.

He said he was hoping Pettersson and his star teammates like Quinn Hughes and J.T. Miller would heed this.

“That’s the sort of stuff I want Petey and Hughes and Millsy, that’s what I want to hear,” he said.

“That’s the type of attitude I want. … We just can’t go backward. We’ve set the bar here.”

Tocchet saw Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Kris Letang work up close.

There’s a reason why he cites them and the likes of Stamkos and Kucherov as often as he does.

That’s the standard he wants.

“All the successful teams, the leadership group, they go to another level,” he said.

pjohnston@postmedia.com

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-this-is-a-big-summer-for-elias-pettersson-rick-tocchet-says

This is about winning and doing what it takes to win, making the necessary sacrifices, and wanting to not only to do it but also wanting to do whatever it takes to improve each year. It starts with your habits, mindset, and how you approach the game. Not individually but as the collective leadership group all in sync with each other to set the bar. 

You have to want it and never settle. You have to be the change. 

3 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

This is about winning and doing what it takes to win, making the necessary sacrifices, and wanting to not only to do it but also wanting to do whatever it takes to improve each year. It starts with your habits, mindset, and how you approach the game. Not individually but as the collective leadership group all in sync with each other to set the bar. 

You have to want it and never settle. You have to be the change. 

This makes me think about him being the last one off the ice after game 7, and looking around at the crowd taking it in. He knows he wasn't at his best injured or not, and seeing that tells me we're going to see the best version of him next year. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

On 6/7/2024 at 6:06 PM, Trebreh said:

he needs to do some squats and core training. 

adding 15-20 lbs of muscle will do wonders for him. 

Squats and Core training are standard for all professional hockey players...

Pettersson probably does more than you could ever hope to.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Posted (edited)

I am hearing a lot from Tocchet about how Pettersson needs to improve.

But I am not hearing anything from Tocchet about how his coaching could improve.

I have yet to hear anything where he acknowledges that just maybe, he made mistakes during the playoffs, (he did) and could improve.

One thing I know for sure... if Tocchet continues to play Pettersson with 4th liners, he will not get optimum production from him.

Edited by -Buzzsaw-
  • Haha 1

On 6/7/2024 at 6:40 PM, Alflives said:

Petey’s legs are massive tree trunks. He’s still working on building his upper body. Plus, being super strong isn’t key to winning for a pjj k Ayer like Petey. It’s balancing his natural elite skills with his hyper compete personality l. Petey should NEVER play for big hits. He should focus on smart play with his stick and body position. Petey is learning and he g he as the perfect coach to guide him. Tocchet played with the greatest. 

Are they?

F1lqEsqaYAQoFwt

That aint no hockey butt. 

He's definately put on some muscle over the past few years. But my daughter would say he's got no gyatt to stik out for the rizzler. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Are they?

F1lqEsqaYAQoFwt

That aint no hockey butt. 

He's definately put on some muscle over the past few years. But my daughter would say he's got no gyatt to stik out for the rizzler. 

Petey is 6’3. Looks like he’s got hockey thighs. 
image.thumb.jpeg.25f1a149a5ec54b61048a59498ec4162.jpeg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I actually have heard him talk a lot about things he could improve.

Specifically he was asked about the powerplay and he said he needs to be stricter on what he demands from his players.

Hes also said how he needs to get the guys working on being more creative offensively and attacking more.

This is huge! Need more attack, they sat back too much in the playoffs, I swear if they played a full 60 they would have swept EdM. Seemed they only attacked 10-20 mins a game. 

17 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

This is huge! Need more attack, they sat back too much in the playoffs, I swear if they played a full 60 they would have swept EdM. Seemed they only attacked 10-20 mins a game. 

I think they would have if they had Demmer in net.

They were playing safe to shelter Silovs which was the smart move. Don’t need the rookie getting shelled every night.

• ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)

it's not just him. quinn, too, even millsy and boes. this team prepared all summer for an 82 game season and fell more or less off a cliff after 55.

they should be preparing like it's a year-round 160 game season so that they can hopefully manage to play 110.

Edited by tas
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Petey is 6’3. Looks like he’s got hockey thighs. 
image.thumb.jpeg.25f1a149a5ec54b61048a59498ec4162.jpeg

He's definately reching peak form. I think he knows full well where he needs improvment. I'm glad he owned it he could have been better. Sure his leg wasn't great and that throws your core off trying to compensate. Which sucks but the bottom line is he knows he needs to be a big boi. The days of pouty Pete are numbered.  

The reality is teams are going to keep playing him like he was this playoffs. He has to be able to battle through that. Capitalizing with better wingers is hard if you're laying on the ice. He knows what his capabilities were this year and where his play fell short. Sure Mik was awful. Are you buying that we were a winger for Pete away from making the finals or would we just have pissed assets away?

21 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

He's definately reching peak form. I think he knows full well where he needs improvment. I'm glad he owned it he could have been better. Sure his leg wasn't great and that throws your core off trying to compensate. Which sucks but the bottom line is he knows he needs to be a big boi. The days of pouty Pete are numbered.  

The reality is teams are going to keep playing him like he was this playoffs. He has to be able to battle through that. Capitalizing with better wingers is hard if you're laying on the ice. He knows what his capabilities were this year and where his play fell short. Sure Mik was awful. Are you buying that we were a winger for Pete away from making the finals or would we just have pissed assets away?

We are in the Cup Final with Demko. Our core is elite. JR knows exactly what’s needed to win the Cup. That’s why he committed to Petey. 

1 hour ago, Hammertime said:

Mik didn't score, but that's the difference between a PREMIER centre and winger. You are SUPPOSED to play good with or without good players. Pettersson did not perform up to standards (and Petey knows this). Part of this was due to injury. However, I think another part of this was "conditioning" (whatever this is). Pettersson will have to take fitness more seriously than he is and I think we'll see a dramatically better version next year. Pettersson is incredibly young and he will not just mail it in. I don't believe for a second that he just stopped trying.