[Speculation] New Jersey Devils GM Looking to Trade for Gritty Forwards

New Jersey Devils GM Looking to Trade for Gritty Forwards

Shane Seney Saturday, June 08, 2024 

New Jersey Devils general manager Tom Fitzgerald has been busy this offseason, bringing in a new head coach in Sheldon Keefe and now the veteran executive turns his attention to upgrading the roster. While it's been reported the team is open to moving it's first-round pick, 10th overall, it turns out Fitzgerald has a style of player in mind he'd like to add in any move.

Fitzgerald spoke to Pierre LeBrun of the Athletic and talked about adding a goalie, moving the 10th overall pick and the team's lack of tenacity:

“We're a little too vanilla up front. I think we are getting there. If you look at the lineup back then, you know, with certain players, they were skilled, but maybe on the, I don't want to say softer side, but not the hardness that we have now. Do we have a forward group of fighters? No, but we have forwards who play hard and finish checks. I think that is a demand from the coaches, too. I think anybody can finish checks if they are asked to play harder.”

While Fitzgerald is all over the trade market, the Devils also have $18.8 million in cap space and have some major assets they are open to moving. While the 10th overall pick is in play, it's likely with his attention on adding a proven netminder, the likes of Nico Daws and Akira Schmid are available.

As far as free-agent forwards go who play a gritty style, look for Fitzgerald to have interest in David Perron, Tyler Bertuzzi, Max Domi, Jake DeBrusk, Dakota Joshua, and Teddy Blueger.

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/06/new-jersey-devils-gm-looking-to-trade.html

• Vintage 1

@Alflives

We're a little too vanilla up front. I think we are getting there. If you look at the lineup back then, you know, with certain players, they were skilled, but maybe on the, I don't want to say softer side, but not the hardness that we have now.”

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, RWJC said:

@Alflives

We're a little too vanilla up front. I think we are getting there. If you look at the lineup back then, you know, with certain players, they were skilled, but maybe on the, I don't want to say softer side, but not the hardness that we have now.”

The Devils would love to have JT Miller. They can’t have him though. They get to keep their marshmallow softies. 

I understand they got cap space now but they have some big ELCs coming off the books over the next couple years they won’t be able to give term out to any of these UFAs Keefe just wants bert and Domi so leafs don’t get them back 🤣

5 hours ago, RWJC said:

@Alflives

If we lose Joshua and Big Z, we will be back in the same boat too.

Man, usually I'm the one telling other people to put the weed down, they've smoked enough for the night, But I genuinely read that title and thought it said 'New Jersey looking to trade for Gritty' The Flyers mascot. 🤦‍♂️

No way Philadelphia would trade him was an actual thought that crossed my mind.