[Article] Canucks will be comfortable family not a dictatorship, says new captain Hughes

RWJC

Canucks will be comfortable family not a dictatorship, says new captain Hughes

VICTORIA — Vancouver Canucks captain Quinn Hughes says he sees himself as the type of leader who wants to build a family atmosphere on the team where everybody feels welcome.

"It's definitely not a dictatorship," he said Sunday as the NHL team completed its training camp and started pre-season exhibition games ahead of its Oct. 11 season opener against the visiting Edmonton Oilers.

"There's going to be lots of guys speaking up or have different roles and feel comfortable doing that, and that's how it should be," he said.

Hughes, 23, was named Canucks captain earlier this month, succeeding former captain Bo Horvat who was traded to the New York Islanders last season.

The smooth-skating defenceman said collaboration and openness will be the hallmarks of his leadership style.

"I want everyone to have a voice and I want it to be a family," Hughes said. "When I know that one of the younger guys says something in the room, that's when I know we've kind of turned it into a family."

Hughes said he understands at training camp and early in the season some younger players are nervous and would rather not speak up.

"I was that guy," he said. "I want guys to feel comfortable who they are. I don't care if you're a young guy, first year guy or just first camp. I mean don't be obnoxious, but be yourself and feel comfortable with yourself. That's the big thing with me."

Hughes said being named captain will also be a personal learning experience as he progresses in his hockey career.

"I'll just keep learning, learning how to deal with the role, how to handle my teammates and enjoy it and have fun with it," he said. "Not only with the captaincy, but my own game. I always feel like I'm growing. It's a big part of why I keep getting better."

The off-season arrivals of defencemen Ian Cole from Tampa Bay, Matt Irwin from Washington and Carson Soucy from Seattle and last year's late season acquisition of Filip Hronek from Detroit adds veteran presence and experience to the Canucks blueline, Hughes said.

Cole and Soucy also bring playoff experience to the team, he said.

Hughes said he's looking forward to this season after last year, when the Canucks finished out of the playoffs in sixth place in the Pacific Division.

"Guys are excited to play," he said.

"We need guys who are really competitive, want to win and hate losing."

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept. 24, 2023.

https://www.tsn.ca/canucks-will-be-comfortable-family-not-a-dictatorship-says-new-captain-quinn-hughes-1.2012051?tsn-amp

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 2

He has a very good attitude and is without question the right choice for Captain.  He is a quite person and when he speaks, everyone will listen.  He will throughout his career develop leadership qualities that are in line with players such as Linden, Naslund and H Sedin.  He will lead by example on the ice with the amount of minutes he plays, and off the ice by being democratic and letting others on the team have a voice. I am really looking forward to this season!

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Something about Bo's tenure that Quinn wants to open up about? 😏

I have found it interesting that often when Quinn is asked about the people he looks to as mentors, he chooses the likes of his good friends Brady and Larkin before he ever mentions his old captain Bo

3 minutes ago, EliPeterson40 said:

I have found it interesting that often when Quinn is asked about the people he looks to as mentors, he chooses the likes of his good friends Brady and Larkin before he ever mentions his old captain Bo

He mentioned Bo during his first interview as captain during the actual announcement. But this to me sounds a little too much like the country club atmosphere is back. 

• Upvote 1

Quinn seems like a good kid who has learned all about family at home. He will have to work at his craft and learn on the job given his new responsibility. It sounds like most fans are on the same page as the coaches and managers in a shared belief Quinn is fully capable of being an effective captain and team leader.

18 hours ago, Rick_theRyper said:

… this to me sounds a little too much like the country club atmosphere is back. 

I wouldn’t jump to that negative conclusion from this at all. A country club atmosphere is definitely gonna come with something of a toxic hierarchy. While the same can be said to be true about some families, my take on Huggy’s comments is that he’s looking to establish something quite different from that.

Maybe the word ‘comfortable’ gave you that impression but there’s a big difference between being comfortable speaking up and being comfortable with a sub par status quo 

Edited by Steamer4GM
Typo and missing word (some) before families
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Steamer4GM said:

I wouldn’t jump to that negative conclusion from this at all. A country club atmosphere is definitely gonna come with something of a toxic hierarchy. While the same can be said to be true about families, my take on Huggy’s comments is that he’s looking to establish something quite different from that. 

Maybr the word ‘comfortable’ gave you that impression but there’s a big difference between being comfortable speaking up and being comfortable with a sub par status quo 

I'm just saying a lot here were quick to call  captain Bo soft etc, "he doesn't fight anymore" I think Quin will be an excellent captain but he is as soft as they come. He's says openly he will lead by example of work ethic on the ice and off. It's not gonna be a popular option but if we wanted a strong action over words (although he's quite vocal too lol) captain that was Miller. Who was after Bo left our best option. Quinn will be a lot like Bo and Henrick always saying the right thing in the interview, I just thought this team was moving on from that. I'm not trying to crap on him just not going to be naive either. With the coach we have I thought it was a interesting choice. Gonna take lots of push by committee on the ice in the toughness department. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

I'm just saying a lot here were quick to call  captain Bo soft etc, "he doesn't fight anymore" I think Quin will be an excellent captain but he is as soft as they come. He's says openly he will lead by example of work ethic on the ice and off. It's not gonna be a popular option but if we wanted a strong action over words (although he's quite vocal too lol) captain that was Miller. Who was after Bo left our best option. Quinn will be a lot like Bo and Henrick always saying the right thing in the interview, I just thought this team was moving on from that. I'm not trying to crap on him just not going to be naive either. With the coach we have I thought it was a interesting choice. Gonna take lots of push by committee on the ice in the toughness department. 

I beg to differ: https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/iihf-world-juniors-quinn-hughes-303230354 

Edit: also wearing a C during that tourney.

Edited by Jester13

34 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I beg to differ: https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/iihf-world-juniors-quinn-hughes-303230354 

Edit: also wearing a C during that tourney.

I think my point is not being clarified properly. He's not going to do that often. People had a problem with Bo who actually rocked someone at least once. I'm not craping on Quinn, I'm simply saying I'm surprised we didn't go with Miller a guy who will drag guys in the fight with him often. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Rick_theRyper said:

I think my point is not being clarified properly. He's not going to do that often. People had a problem with Bo who actually rocked someone at least once. I'm not craping on Quinn, I'm simply saying I'm surprised we didn't go with Miller a guy who will drag guys in the fight with him often. 

I think the team - even Miller - feels like Miller is too emotional to be the guy that brings the entire team together. One of the things Tocc said he likes about Hughes is he can relate to everyone, young and old, on the team. This, to me, pointed to both Miller and Petey as not being able to do the same.

Also, I think we'll see Hughes sticking up for his teammates like that at least one time this year. He's a warrior and not soft by any means. He got like 20 sticks to the face last year and came out with a broken nose and stitches multiple times. He may be small, but he's mighty.

• Cheers 4

Some folks are never going to be happy with anything short of prime aged Shea Weber or Jarome Iginla as captain. Some folks want big, tough, willing to hit and fight, great at both ends, able to pile up points, able to deal with the media, basically able to do everything. Simply put, some folks want a unicorn. 

Quinn is an excellent choice, he was the right choice. He shows up, takes responsibility, leads by example, owns his play, and he's respected. Captains don't have to be able to fight, they need to be able to lead. They need to be able to command the respect of the room, to be there for each player, to be able to connect with each player. They need to be able to handle the Canadian media in a professional manner. Quinn can do all of this. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Win with Captain Quinn !  Hughes Is a great choice for skipper. Not that either Pettersson or Miller wouldn't have been any good but Quinn Hughes Has, what I think, a fantastic demeanor for the Captaincy. He wont let the letter change the way he plays but he will know when to put it to use. Whether he's on the ice or on the bench, he's super aware of what's going on. It's my opinion, he'll, over a short period of time, grab the respect of the NHL officials.  Great Choice......

Edited by Rip The Mesh
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Rick_theRyper said:

He mentioned Bo during his first interview as captain during the actual announcement. But this to me sounds a little too much like the country club atmosphere is back. 

I definitely don't disagree with you but it also got me thinking. Who would you rather stick up for when things get rough? Your family or the dictatorship with a pecking order?

I think this is a great quote. A team should feel like a family. An old school family where if you don’t pull your weight around the house you will see dads belt. Leadership comes in different ways. Quinn doesn’t have to do it all himself either, the A’s are there for a reason. “Hey…everybody listen up!! JT is gonna talk and you are going to listen” An overly emotional guy like Miller carries more weight when a calm and level headed captain backs him up…or tells him to sit down once in a while too 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I like the importance Hughes puts on “everyone having a voice” and making sure all his teammates are “comfortable speaking up.” Even when it comes to the rookies and young players.

I think this is the opposite of the old “country club” atmosphere. I don’t recall that issue (whether real or perceived) ever being about the young guys coming up or new additions to the team. It was more about an established veteran group that basically ran the room and was believed to have become too comfortable and complacent.

What Hughes seems to be talking about it making sure everyone feels comfortable “pulling the rope.” That they all work together, challenge each other, hold each other accountable, and have every individual give everything they’ve got to the team, working toward a common goal. He welcomes all voices. And wants everyone to contribute.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SISMIM said:

I like the importance Hughes puts on “everyone having a voice” and making sure all his teammates are “comfortable speaking up.” Even when it comes to the rookies and young players.

I think this is the opposite of the old “country club” atmosphere. I don’t recall that issue (whether real or perceived) ever being about the young guys coming up or new additions to the team. It was more about an established veteran group that basically ran the room and was believed to have become too comfortable and complacent.

What Hughes seems to be talking about it making sure everyone feels comfortable “pulling the rope.” That they all work together, challenge each other, hold each other accountable, and have every individual give everything they’ve got to the team, working toward a common goal. He welcomes all voices. And wants everyone to contribute.

Sounds like too many chiefs and not enough indians, tbh, I do not have a good feeling about this season at all.