Washington Capitals to buy CapFriendly (And shut it down....)

Posted (edited)

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/capitals-reach-agreement-to-purchase-capfriendly-website/

The disturbing part of the article is:

"You can definitely see why a team would want this infrastructure. After the transaction officially closes, the website will go dark."

July 5, 2024 will be the last day?

If the Captials are shutting it down. FUCK YOU CAPTIALS!

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Upvote 2

• Ghostsof1915 changed the title to Washington Capitals to buy CapFriendly (And shut it down....)
1 minute ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

Perhaps a few of us could start a replacement. Scrape everything we can before CapFriendly goes dark, and go from there. Personally, I have a career's worth of coding and similar experience, from silicon level to production equipment programming to web applications and pretty much everything in between. Considering advertising and potentially selling it to a larger company, it could turn out to be quite lucrative.

It's a pretty good idea.

Especially since you've additionally got the experience of watching CDC "shut down", and here we all are doing the same thing as before.

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

Perhaps a few of us could start a replacement. Scrape everything we can before CapFriendly goes dark, and go from there. Personally, I have a career's worth of coding and similar experience, from silicon level to production equipment programming to web applications and pretty much everything in between. Considering advertising and potentially selling it to a larger company, it could turn out to be quite lucrative. It really seems like it's just a glorified spreadsheet.

An easier to read, but yes glorified spreadsheet. The trick is keeping up with transactions to keep the information up to date.

Personally I'd rather see the league buy the site. Keep who's running it now on for a year, and hire some employees so they know how to keep it maintained.

You can have sponsors help pay for the site. As it's useful I'm sure not just for fans but people within the hockey organizations.

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

An easier to read, but yes glorified spreadsheet. The trick is keeping up with transactions to keep the information up to date.

Personally I'd rather see the league buy the site. Keep who's running it now on for a year, and hire some employees so they know how to keep it maintained.

You can have sponsors help pay for the site. As it's useful I'm sure not just for fans but people within the hockey organizations.

I would imagine the league has their own internal system. And, it's no secret that they aren't the most transparent at the best of times. So I don't know if that would happen under the Buttman regime.

But yes, you are right, updating would be the biggest challenge. I see that as being another scraping exercise. Have say a list of two or three sites for each team, from which the site would gather data once a day, and be manually updated to start, possibly fully automated in the future.

I feel like that scraping could populate a "new info" database, and a script using SQL could update the primary database.

Edited by Drive-By Body Pierce
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

I seem to remember the "owner" got very ill, and/or possibly passed away.

From the Sportsnet Article:

"CapFriendly arrived in 2015, after its predecessor, CapGeek, closed. CapGeek’s creator, Matthew Wuest, who built an indispensable site, died of colon cancer in March 2015. CapFriendly became an excellent substitute for fans and media."

• Huggy Bear 2

Well, I have the summer "off" to help my son with training and hockey camp. So I suppose I am in a pretty good position to take a run at this, even on my own.

And if it's even reasonably decent, I know all you fantastic CFFers will check it out and blast me over any mistakes.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

Perhaps a few of us could start a replacement. Scrape everything we can before CapFriendly goes dark, and go from there. Personally, I have a career's worth of coding and similar experience, from silicon level to production equipment programming to web applications and pretty much everything in between. Considering advertising and potentially selling it to a larger company, it could turn out to be quite lucrative. It really seems like it's just a glorified spreadsheet.

Ya, not that hard to replicate functionality off of and improve. The real work is in keeping track of all the transactions that happen and feeding them into the DB in as close to real-time as possible - at the risk of stating the obvious.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Cheers 1