Washington Capitals to buy CapFriendly (And shut it down....)

1 hour ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

Perhaps a few of us could start a replacement. Scrape everything we can before CapFriendly goes dark, and go from there. Personally, I have a career's worth of coding and similar experience, from silicon level to production equipment programming to web applications and pretty much everything in between. Considering advertising and potentially selling it to a larger company, it could turn out to be quite lucrative. It really seems like it's just a glorified spreadsheet.

Capfriendlytwo: Electric Boogaloo 

• Haha 2
  • ThereItIs 1

This sounds like such a bonehead decision by Capitals organization.

From business point of view, they should just keep the website running and use the traffic revenue to generate more income. They can even advertise & promote Capitals hockey club on Capfriendly. Change the design make it more like Capitals outlook. Even have Capitals banner or something in the background to promote. 

Can someone explain this to me please. What good will it bring to just buy a website and then shut it down? Am I missing something here? 

25 minutes ago, Scott72 said:

This sounds like such a bonehead decision by Capitals organization.

From business point of view, they should just keep the website running and use the traffic revenue to generate more income. They can even advertise & promote Capitals hockey club on Capfriendly. Change the design make it more like Capitals outlook. Even have Capitals banner or something in the background to promote. 

Can someone explain this to me please. What good will it bring to just buy a website and then shut it down? Am I missing something here? 

I don't think they are going to shut it down so much as make it private. At least that was my impression. It also sounds like many if not all teams have some level of "premium" paid account. Again, my personal impression.

14 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

I thought this was the sort of thing teams alredy had internally far more advanced versions of. What next Aquelinni's buy chel?

Pretty sure aqua is still forcing his staff to use windows 7.

• Like 1

another one will pop up.

this is already at least the third one right? capgeek shut down I think when the creator died maybe, and then I'm certain there was another one that got bought up by a team or the guy who made it got hired by a team and had to shut it down, but I don't remember which one that was. 

33 minutes ago, tas said:

another one will pop up.

this is already at least the third one right? capgeek shut down I think when the creator died maybe, and then I'm certain there was another one that got bought up by a team or the guy who made it got hired by a team and had to shut it down, but I don't remember which one that was. 

This. Something better will come along.

Sorry to lose the site.  Went there all the time.

Yes another will come along but it takes a while for them to get up to speed. Capfriendly was very good at being timely.  Often posting the details of a trade or signing within an hour of it happening.

Puckpedia needs to improve it's user friendliness if it wants to fill the gap. Capfriendly format was far superior in it's simplicity.

• Like 1

Any on earth wouldn’t you keep a consumer version of it for fans.

The NHL is so bush league that they don’t even know what drives fan engagement.

Billions of dollars and they can’t even hire 3 guys to build and maintain and site with all sorts of tools for hockey pools, armchair GMing, trade proposals, etc.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Hammertime said:

I thought this was the sort of thing teams alredy had internally far more advanced versions of. What next Aquelinni's buy chel?

I think Cap Friendly is very well done. And, while I don't claim to have inside knowledge, I have heard that Cap Friendly is better and more sophisticated than what most teams do internally. And I think that many NHL teams routinely use Cap Friendly.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Provost said:

Billions of dollars and they can’t even hire 3 guys to build and maintain and site with all sorts of tools for hockey pools, armchair GMing, trade proposals, etc.

I remember once upon a time, the Canucks used to have a fan section dedicated to prospects. Keeping fans up to date on how our prospects were doing.

Now CDC doesn't even let you know what's happening with prospects.

18 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Haha they buy EA

Apparently the cap friendly team has impressed NHL executives so it’s not just acquiring the platform it’s acquiring the people who made and update it.

Reports are it’s not just used by media and fans but by teams so it’s quite sophisticated and has a great Ui

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Provost said:

Not just the fans. But for journalists and other teams. 

If the Capitals are buying this just for the infrastructure, I assume it's a very sophisticated and well designed service. 

You could have other teams and media pay for this service and have a steady income flow.