Washington Capitals to buy CapFriendly (And shut it down....)

On 6/9/2024 at 4:49 PM, tas said:

another one will pop up.

this is already at least the third one right? capgeek shut down I think when the creator died maybe, and then I'm certain there was another one that got bought up by a team or the guy who made it got hired by a team and had to shut it down, but I don't remember which one that was. 

oh right, it was nhlnumbers, which was run by the guy who is now gm in carolina. 

21 hours ago, SilentSam said:

will be interesting to see if Capfriendly was bought to shut down,   Or to continue operating ( even under a new name).

18 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

r/hockey - [El-Bashir] Capitals GM Brian MacLellan has issued a statement on the team’s decision to acquire CapFriendly:

So where does this end? Can say Seattle buy every online advanced stats site and shut them down, so they can keep the info for themselves?

I'm ok with the owners making a profit from their hard work. But something that is used by fans and teams alike, wouldn't it be a good idea to have the league buy it?

Keep the existing staff for a year or so, while new staff get up to speed. Keep it open, and run ads, and it would be another way of not only being transparent in operations.

But help fans, and educate fans, on how the cap works. Typical NHL, lets not find new ways to get and keep our fans. But deny information. Just keep watching games, going

to games, buying merchandise. Oh and bet on games too....

9 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So where does this end? Can say Seattle buy every online advanced stats site and shut them down, so they can keep the info for themselves?

I'm ok with the owners making a profit from their hard work. But something that is used by fans and teams alike, wouldn't it be a good idea to have the league buy it?

Keep the existing staff for a year or so, while new staff get up to speed. Keep it open, and run ads, and it would be another way of not only being transparent in operations.

But help fans, and educate fans, on how the cap works. Typical NHL, lets not find new ways to get and keep our fans. But deny information. Just keep watching games, going

I'm not sure the league would care a whole lot of the info available on capfriendly wasn't widely available to fans and media alike, they've certainly made plenty of decisions that gloss over what the fans want. Ads on jerseys, ads on the boards, and so on. 

Another site, or a few of them, will step up be used. Problem is, said sites probably won't have contacts with NHL teams the way capfriendly probably did. And if any of them get too big, because as more traffic comes along they'll probably get more sophisticated, there's a chance they'll be bought up too. 

It'd be neat if the NHL just said "fine, we'll build our own for teams and fans to use" but I wouldn't hold my breath. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I'm not sure the league would care a whole lot of the info available on capgeek wasn't widely available to fans and media alike, they've certainly made plenty of decisions that gloss over what the fans want. Ads on jerseys, ads on the boards, and so on. 

Another site, or a few of them, will step up be used. Problem is, said sites probably won't have contacts with NHL teams the way capfriendly probably did. And if any of them get too big, because as more traffic comes along they'll probably get more sophisticated, there's a chance they'll be bought up too. 

It'd be neat if the NHL just said "fine, we'll build our own for teams and fans to use" but I wouldn't hold my breath. 

Forward thinking and NHL doesn't seem to go hand in hand does it?

• Huggy Bear 1
  • ThereItIs 1

43 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'm not sure the league would care a whole lot of the info available on capfriendly wasn't widely available to fans and media alike, they've certainly made plenty of decisions that gloss over what the fans want. Ads on jerseys, ads on the boards, and so on. 

It seems that the league has determined the best way to silence voices is to buy the "site", hire the site owners/maintainers onto staff, and then with the golden handcuffs of an "employment contract", seal the "leak".

That way, the tools that can be used for analyzing management decisions in real-time can be removed from the public domain, and then it'll be harder to rake management over the coals for questionable decisions as they happen.  

(Won't stop incompetence from surfacing and being identified down the road though :classic_ninja: )

• Huggy Bear 1

14 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

It seems that the league has determined the best way to silence voices is to buy the "site", hire the site owners/maintainers onto staff, and then with the golden handcuffs of an "employment contract", seal the "leak".

That way, the tools that can be used for analyzing management decisions in real-time can be removed from the public domain, and then it'll be harder to rake management over the coals for questionable decisions as they happen.  

(Won't stop incompetence from surfacing and being identified down the road though :classic_ninja: )

Honestly, I don't disagree with anything you've said. 

Not having access to the ins and outs of deals makes it harder to be tough on management, absolutely, not that that'll stop us. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Just look at the awful ratings for this Stanley Cup Final. 

But could you imagine the ratings with more younger viewers, and non-hockey fans being swayed by having tools, sites, that encourage engagement?

The idea is to attract new audiences, and keep your audience. Like it or not, we're in a social media, interactive world.

Closing those avenues off, by not educating, and being transparent, does not help the sport grow.

The reason the ratings are up, is because most of the playoff rounds has been some of the best hockey in years.

Why not add to that success?

4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

they don't want the fans thinking about the salary cap, they want the fans thinking about hockey players playing hockey. 

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Just look at the awful ratings for this Stanley Cup Final. 

that's a product of it being two markets without any fans. small market teams. 

• 3 weeks later...