[Speculation] Friedman reports some agents want NHL Draft shortened to only 4 rounds

On 6/10/2024 at 6:35 AM, Shekky said:

its rare to see someone drafted in laters become stars or solid NHL Players but they do happen. 

Kevin Bieksa was a notable late draft pick. So I don't think they should cut it off after 4 rounds. Then again if these players go to free agency might be a interesting option.

here is a list of late picks that became NHL stars or solid NHL Players.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/the-top-25-late-round-nhl-draft-steals-of-the-past-25-years

Add Hansen to the Honourable mentions list.... picked 287th.... 

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

The NBA draft pushed back a year several years ago so I doubt that that precedent still stands(if it ever did, I just don’t know). NBA is multinational as well so should apply reasonably to NHL. 
I think the NHL likes throwing the stars in early even though the results of that was serious injuries to their two golden Connors. 
‘I personally prefer the bigger draft but having more undrafted UFAs around is not a terrible thing and likely opens the doors for a lot more locally grown prospects for teams in areas that they are locally grown like Canada, Minnesota and New England 

Our US amateur scouting has generally been solid going back more than one decade.  Canadian amateur scouting has been Gillis bad going to before him and after him.  Hopefully, Alvin/JR has done extensive work in this area.  It's fine rewarding former players who sweated had for the franchise but give them a job more suited to their abilities.

• 2 weeks later...

The 2024 NHL Draft is just around the corner, and while a lot of the build-up to the event is looking toward the future and imagining the careers to come from the players selected, I thought it’d also be fun to take a look back at the best players to come out of the draft – or better yet, the best player taken with each selection.

Thanks to Hockey DB, we have the ability to look at all the players selected at each draft slot, so figured I’d try and identify the best player taken with each pick. Over the next seven days, we’re going to cover Rounds 1-7 and picks 1 all the way to 224. That means we’re following the current format; the Draft used to be longer, with as many as 293 players picked across nine rounds as recently as 2000.

On 6/9/2024 at 10:35 PM, Shekky said:

its rare to see someone drafted in laters become stars or solid NHL Players but they do happen. 

Kevin Bieksa was a notable late draft pick. So I don't think they should cut it off after 4 rounds. Then again if these players go to free agency might be a interesting option.

here is a list of late picks that became NHL stars or solid NHL Players.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/the-top-25-late-round-nhl-draft-steals-of-the-past-25-years

Not quite as late but lets not forget Bure was selected 113th

I’d sooner see the draft age at 21. You’d see more players go through college and less busts. The CHL, IIHF and NCAA would be so much stronger. The players would go straight to the NHL and make an impact like the NFL. 18 year old draft age is so stupid and I’ve always hated it. 

On 6/10/2024 at 12:42 PM, stawns said:

If you're going to alter the draft, it should be an age increase, not eliminating rounds, imo

It sure would make it easier on clubs.   There is a reason why the draft used to be a lot easier.   More massive hits in the first couple rounds.   Unfortunately,  that's not going to happen.   Although they'd be wise to increase it by one year. 

2 hours ago, NoHeart said:

I’d sooner see the draft age at 21. You’d see more players go through college and less busts. The CHL, IIHF and NCAA would be so much stronger. The players would go straight to the NHL and make an impact like the NFL. 18 year old draft age is so stupid and I’ve always hated it. 

20 is perfect.   Especially today.  It's the new 17.   

Without picking on the youth of today, 19-20 is where it should be at.    Early and late b-days.    Teams would get a lot more certainty, which used to be the norm.  

Edited by IBatch

On 6/22/2024 at 7:49 PM, 6YPE said:

Not quite as late but lets not forget Bure was selected 113th

Bure doesn't count.   He'd of been drafted top ten if the rest of the league had done their homework. 

On 6/12/2024 at 10:57 AM, spook007 said:

Add Hansen to the Honourable mentions list.... picked 287th.... 

If you go a little earlier .. Luc Robataille in the 9th round.   Not as late but still yikes.    

Then we could start talking about undrafted guys like Belfour, Bobrovksy,  Dino Ciccarelli,  Geoff Courtnall,  Steve Duschene,  Giordano..: And guys like Steve Thomas and Martin St. Louis.   Even Garland really,  guys who weren't drafted right away.   

Actually would be fine if they went down to round 5.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Mr. Considerations will become a more well-travelled man as a consequence.  :classic_ninja:

If my last name was Considerations I would definitely name my kid Future. Most traded player ever. 

• Vintage 1

If the league keeps getting bigger, I can see 5 or 6 rounds being fine. With 2 extra teams (Vegas and Seattle), that's already 14 extra players drafted each year from the 30 league team we once had. So, I can see merit in dropping the rounds. Maybe not 4 though. Lol.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

If the league keeps getting bigger, I can see 5 or 6 rounds being fine. With 2 extra teams (Vegas and Seattle), that's already 14 extra players drafted each year from the 30 league team we once had. So, I can see merit in dropping the rounds. Maybe not 4 though. Lol.

It's a little goofy.   I sure hope they done expanding (have been all for retraction since the 2000's and the product took a nosedive).   8 teams going to ten.  Fuck that.    It's already ridiculous that half the league won't get any playoff games.    And that some are mired without any for a decade. CAR missed 9.   Buffalo is it 11 now?   What's next?  A generation?

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

58 minutes ago, IBatch said:

It's a little goofy.   I sure hope they done expanding (have been all for retraction since the 2000's and the product took a nosedive).   8 teams going to ten.  Fuck that.    It's already ridiculous that half the league won't get any playoff games.    And that some are mired without any for a decade. CAR missed 9.   Buffalo is it 11 now?   What's next?  A generation?

It is getting pretty egregious. But, you know how things work these days, everyone wants that MONEY. Won't be long til someone throws 7-800mil at the league for a team.