[Rumour] Yzerman ready to offer Dakota Joshua north of $4M

"According to the intel Shah gathered, the Detroit Red Wings are extremely high on Joshua, and their GM, Steve Yzerman, would be putting together an offer with an AAV north of $4M"

https://www.canucksdaily.com/nhl-team/vancouver-canucks/detroit-red-wings-getting-ready-to-steal-dakota-joshua-with-a-massive-offer

Can anyone confirm that they heard Shah say the same thing? 

This doesn't surprise me.  He was on pace for 42 points this year.  That translates to $4Mish in terms of production, but then you factor in the size, the hits, the PK ability, the forecheck, the swagger, the grit... probably puts him over $4M. 

That's basically why I've excluded him from all of my projections.  He's gonna be too much $ for the Canucks.  It'll be interesting to see if he replicates his performance without Garland.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

I honestly don't blame Dakota.  He's turning 29 and has a career earnings total of $1.5M.  If I were him, I'd be chasing bank too...

I do a little bit, like I said, he's nowhere without Tocc turning him around. Not saying he should give up millions, but maybe not chase every last cent. 

OTOH I don't think he's irreplaceable at all, I am happy to see the attention be turned to Podz. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I'd honestly be shocked if Dak didn't get at least 3.5-3.75M, - 4M wouldn't be off the cards.  Teams will pay a premium for how they think he projects and how he can perform in the playoffs.  I don't see us being one of those teams, and it ain't the end of the world. 

Dak was in a contract year, and benefitted heavily from having really good linemates who often set him up really well and a coach who pushed him in all the right ways. He's 29 a career 4th liner if not AHL player and was a healthy scratch earlier in the year. Overpaying is gonna be a big mistake in my books, specially for a team that has a few glaring holes towards the top of their roster that is gonna cost big money to fill. 

We're gonna miss his physicality on the fore check for sure, but I think we can largely replace his production from within, by bringing in or promoting cheaper players and reassigning that 4M, with a bit more cash to a new top sixer. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Wherever else he signs, it’ll be an experiment in seeing how good RT was at extracting the best out of Joshua. I don’t think another coach will do the same, nor do I think Joshua will outperform his past year in another jersey. Guess it depends on his linemates but at very least his shooting % will drop, likely his TOI too.

4 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

I call BS

If Yzerman let that out, he could be charged with tampering.....

I t could happen, but Yzerman never said it!

I'm not sure if there's any negotiations going on, so I can't see it being called 'tampering'.  Could very well have just been a passing question to Yzerman:  "Hey, how much do you think you guys would pay Joshua if he was available?" 

Just now, RWJC said:

Wherever else he signs, it’ll be an experiment in seeing how good RT was at extracting the best out of Joshua. I don’t think another coach will do the same, nor do I think Joshua will outperform his past year in another jersey. Guess it depends on his linemates but at very least his shooting % will drop, likely his TOI too.

Garland is a serious play driver... it'll depend on what kinda line he plays on.  If he plays next to Larkin, he will have solid numbers I'm sure.

• Cheers 1

Joshua is from Michigan so possibly grew up a Wings fan. That and the cash, I can't blame him. Too bad if it happens but seemed inevitable with out cap constraints. 

Edited by Rekker
  • Like 1

Just now, HKSR said:

I'm not sure if there's any negotiations going on, so I can't see it being called 'tampering'.  Could very well have just been a passing question to Yzerman:  "Hey, how much do you think you guys would pay Joshua if he was available?" 

I get that, but, that sure sounds like an offer.............I am not sure they can say anything about pending free agents unless the clubs says it is ok