[Rumour] Yzerman ready to offer Dakota Joshua north of $4M

50 minutes ago, HKSR said:

"According to the intel Shah gathered, the Detroit Red Wings are extremely high on Joshua, and their GM, Steve Yzerman, would be putting together an offer with an AAV north of $4M"

https://www.canucksdaily.com/nhl-team/vancouver-canucks/detroit-red-wings-getting-ready-to-steal-dakota-joshua-with-a-massive-offer

Can anyone confirm that they heard Shah say the same thing? 

This doesn't surprise me.  He was on pace for 42 points this year.  That translates to $4Mish in terms of production, but then you factor in the size, the hits, the PK ability, the forecheck, the swagger, the grit... probably puts him over $4M. 

That's basically why I've excluded him from all of my projections.  He's gonna be too much $ for the Canucks.  It'll be interesting to see if he replicates his performance without Garland.

bye bye dak

enjoy motown

2 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

I get that, but, that sure sounds like an offer.............I am not sure they can say anything about pending free agents unless the clubs says it is ok

I think as long as it isn't officially on record, it might be hard to charge Yzerman with tampering.  It'd be different if we actually had a direct quote from Yzerman via a recording of some sort.  I think DimJim Benning was fined for tampering back in the day because he publicly made some comment about interest in Stamkos or something like that.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

I get that, but, that sure sounds like an offer.............I am not sure they can say anything about pending free agents unless the clubs says it is ok

It's tampering if there's a direct public quote from a gm regarding interest in a player under contract to another team.  They can talk about players internally all they want.  Its not tampering if that leaks out somehow.  

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

the season he had is worth 4 a year, his history in the league says it is too high risk to give him that for any term

Looking at his shooting percentage from last season it's tough to imagine he can replicate what he did.  I think that any team thst pays jom with rhe expectation that he's going to score at the same rate is going to be hugely disappointed 

Thanks for the memories Dak, was a big fan of his game. Serious question, think this is the time to cash in on Garland. Joshua is literally the only person Garland has shown consistent chemistry with his entire time as a Canuck. His value would be the highest in years after having such a solid year for us (even if the production still was only ok). Maybe now is the time to cash in on Garland instead of hoping he develops chemistry with another player on the team, something he's shown to struggle with.

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Thanks for the memories Dak, was a big fan of his game. Serious question, think this is the time to cash in on Garland. Joshua is literally the only person Garland has shown consistent chemistry with his entire time as a Canuck. His value would be the highest in years after having such a solid year for us (even if the production still was only ok). Maybe now is the time to cash in on Garland instead of hoping he develops chemistry with another player on the team, something he's shown to struggle with.

The one thing I have proposed is moving Garland for the pieces needed to be sweeteners to move Mikheyev out at full cap hit. 

Let's say we get a solid prospect or late 1st for Garland.  We could use that and add one of our B+ prospects to move Mikheyev out.

That frees up nearly $10M more in cap space that we could use towards a full fledged Top 6F (Jake Guentzel?)

The question then becomes... would you rather have Guentzel or Garland+Mikheyev.  I know what my answer would be.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

27 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I think as long as it isn't officially on record, it might be hard to charge Yzerman with tampering.  It'd be different if we actually had a direct quote from Yzerman via a recording of some sort.  I think DimJim Benning was fined for tampering back in the day because he publicly made some comment about interest in Stamkos or something like that.

Subban. 

• ThereItIs 1

37 minutes ago, fuzzy said:

If that's the price then I wish him well in Detroit.

At 28 this offseason is Joshua's best opportunity to set him and his family (if he has one) up for life, he's made like 1.5M (may or may not include taxes) thus far. He was always going to have to take less to stay here, so realistically it's probably his best option to secure the biggest bag he can elsewhere imo. Hockey careers can be brief.

• Cheers 3

If there's ever a time for Joshua to cash in, it's now. There's no guarantee he'll be able to play the way he did this year, but he definitely has the right combo of skill and size. If teams are willing to overpay after 1 good year, I think it's wise for us to move on and look for another Joshua (even though he's been great for us and will be missed).

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

At 28 this offseason is Joshua's best opportunity to set him and his family (if he has one) up for life, he's made like 1.5M (may or may not include taxes) thus far. He was always going to have to take less to stay here, so realistically it's probably his best option to secure the biggest bag he can elsewhere imo. Hockey careers can be brief.

You can't blame him for cashing in and setting up his family financially. I wish him well if it's here or elsewhere.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Jester13 said:

I see Joshua regressing quite a lot elsewhere without having Gnarly feeding him sick passes out of nowhere. 

Yes... There's definitely a possibility that he'll regress in another system without the play drivers around him.  If I were him... Lol... But I'd sign a 2 year discount deal at 3 per.  Play with Garly and put up the points.  Maybe get pp2 time.  Win a cup and get a big paycheck elsewhere 4 years at 4.5. 

1 minute ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Yes... There's definitely a possibility that he'll regress in another system without the play drivers around him.  If I were him... Lol... But I'd sign a 2 year discount deal at 3 per.  Play with Garly and put up the points.  Maybe get pp2 time.  Win a cup and get a big paycheck elsewhere 4 years at 4.5. 

That'd be a HUGE gamble for him... imagine if he regresses here to a 15 to 20 point player.  What if Garland is traded away?  Now he has banked $3M x 2, and then his pay drops to $2M, or maybe he doesn't get another contract at 30 or 31 years old.

So he gets maybe $8M to $10M over 3 or 4 years.... instead of $4M x 5 or 6 years now... $20M to $24M.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

That'd be a HUGE gamble for him... imagine if he regresses here to a 15 to 20 point player.  What if Garland is traded away?  Now he has banked $3M x 2, and then his pay drops to $2M, or maybe he doesn't get another contract at 30 or 31 years old.

So he gets maybe $8M to $10M over 3 or 4 years.... instead of $4M x 5 or 6 years now... $20M to $24M.

Yeah.  He has an opportunity to cash in on what was likely an outlier season.  He'd be crazy not to take the highest offer.  His career earnings will likely only add up to what a guy like Matthews makes in 2 seasons 

He's a solid player. But yikes.

Making managements decisions for them.

Easier to afford Zads and Lindholm now.

Wonder how much was Garland setting him up? And did Steve watch the Playoffs? You sure you want to do this?

Edited by Ghostsof1915

57 minutes ago, fuzzy said:

I agree. He showed flashes but was largely invisible.

I thought he was Taylor made for the playoff grind. Other than game one against the Preds, he was just okay; not bad, not great.

I'd let him walk, and let our scouting staff and RT find another career underwhelmer early in FA to groom the same way. Basically offer them the opportunity to come into camp and work their ass off for a chance to play next to Garland OR on our 4th line. A potential payday will peak such players interest.

Podz can be that guy too, just needs to put a little more snarl in his game. He has all the other tools.

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, JIAHN said:

I call BS

If Yzerman let that out, he could be charged with tampering.....

I t could happen, but Yzerman never said it!

Pffft, he's Stevie Y

If he was Stevie Vancouver sure he'd be losing a pick but he's not so it's all good.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Pffft, he's Stevie Y

If he was Stevie Vancouver sure he'd be losing a pick but he's not so it's all good.

Even when Benning got nailed for 2 charges of tampering it was only a $50k fine ($25k for each charge). 

• Cheers 1

DJ would be playing probably in or among Rasmussen or Soderblom on the 3rd line.  Probably slip Copp or someone on the RW 

Which honestly would be insane.  

DJ is 6 foot 3 210 pd

Copp is 6 foot 1 210 pd

Rasmussen is 6 foot 6 225 pd

Soderblom is 6 foot 8 and 250 pd

As a 3rd line.  They can all skate.  They all love throwing the body and gd that would be insane to try to face up against as a checking line.  

If Stevie Y wants to throw $4+ million at Joshua, all the power to him.  Can't hate DJ for taking it if it's available.  But this screams buyers remorse like a certain individual in Montreal who had a similar breakout season once and is now the subject of every single MTL trade proposal

Just now, qwijjibo said:

Even when Benning got nailed for 2 charges of tampering it was only a $50k fine ($25k for each charge). 

A pick, $50k

Whatever the case, it won't be considered the same