[Rumour] Yzerman ready to offer Dakota Joshua north of $4M

That's way too much for 18 goals and 32 points.  I don't see Joshua's totals improving significantly from there.  Good luck to him, if he can get that type of contract, good for him.

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

A pick, $50k

Whatever the case, it won't be considered the same

Because it's not the same.  Show me where Yzerman is directly quoted.  Benning was on camera talking about having interest in 2 players under contract to other teams 

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

"According to the intel Shah gathered, the Detroit Red Wings are extremely high on Joshua, and their GM, Steve Yzerman, would be putting together an offer with an AAV north of $4M"

https://www.canucksdaily.com/nhl-team/vancouver-canucks/detroit-red-wings-getting-ready-to-steal-dakota-joshua-with-a-massive-offer

Can anyone confirm that they heard Shah say the same thing? 

This doesn't surprise me.  He was on pace for 42 points this year.  That translates to $4Mish in terms of production, but then you factor in the size, the hits, the PK ability, the forecheck, the swagger, the grit... probably puts him over $4M. 

That's basically why I've excluded him from all of my projections.  He's gonna be too much $ for the Canucks.  It'll be interesting to see if he replicates his performance without Garland.

If that's the case... bye bye Josh, was fun while it lasted.

His 21.4% shooting percentage is guaranteed to come back to earth especially without Garland feeding him those tap ins. One thing you can count on his him hitting everything that moves but even then he isn't the hardest hitter.

Anything north of 3 is too much IMO. I have faith in the pro scouting department to find players who can do 80% of what he does at 40% of that offer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JIAHN said:

I call BS

If Yzerman let that out, he could be charged with tampering.....

I t could happen, but Yzerman never said it!

That is the stage of the offseason we are in, 99.9% BS and conjecture by people legitimately or claiming to have inside knowledge on various situations. It is easy to get caught up in it all but end of the day you have to take these things with a grain of salt. Only have to look as far as all the media surrounding Pettersson last season spouting about offers made, rejected, one or both parties coming to the table, term, salary, etc. It is a lot of guess work and that is the fun of it for fans. The hope or anticipation or the thousands of roster projections etc we all make.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, NHLer said:

The Yzerman has gone Yzermad. 

Maybe he's mad at us for Hronek.   Seriously though,  let him do his.   He's probably also mad not to be working with a no state tax team and adjusting.   Sound like a broken record, but said this when he left TB, he's not going to like the wings market as much. 

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Maybe he's mad at us for Hronek.   Seriously though,  let him do his.   He's probably also mad not to be working with a no state tax team and adjusting.   Sound like a broken record, but said this when he left TB, he's not going to like the wings market as much. 

He can have him back for Willander and Edvinsson and a 2nd.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

The one thing I have proposed is moving Garland for the pieces needed to be sweeteners to move Mikheyev out at full cap hit. 

Let's say we get a solid prospect or late 1st for Garland.  We could use that and add one of our B+ prospects to move Mikheyev out.

That frees up nearly $10M more in cap space that we could use towards a full fledged Top 6F (Jake Guentzel?)

The question then becomes... would you rather have Guentzel or Garland+Mikheyev.  I know what my answer would be.

Ice Hockey GIF by NHL

$4 million means he needs to be a top 6 guy, which he isn't.  He's going to be a good 3rd line player for the rest of his career, but anything over $3 million is too rich for me.  He also benefited by playing with Garland this year.  This looks like Anson Carter all over again.  Good luck to him.  At least he is getting his bag...

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

$4 million means he needs to be a top 6 guy, which he isn't.  He's going to be a good 3rd line player for the rest of his career, but anything over $3 million is too rich for me.  He also benefited by playing with Garland this year.  This looks like Anson Carter all over again.  Good luck to him.  At least he is getting his bag...

mad people GIF

• Haha 2

**Warning**  Benning rant just kind of popped out of me...

Detroit almost made the P/Os this year and is loaded with a solid bunch of young players. 

SY is sitting on almost 30m in cap space, so bringing in some toughness to support the core

is the right thing to do.

This is what it's like when a team chooses to rebuild, rather than sputter along trying to patch

together a playoff team that might make the playoffs.  On top of that, the team managed to

pick 3 top 10 players; two of which turned out to be duds and 1 who is struggling to make

the teams' 4th line.  All those 1st and 2nd round picks that were thrown away like candy, as

well as trading drafted players with promise (Mcann and Forsling).  Then there's "why isn't

anyone taking Kole Lind?"  Well Jim, why weren't you looking at N. Hauge and J. Robertson,

who were right behind Kole?

I will never forgive GMJB for how much he screwed up our team.

Sorry for bringing this up again, guys/gals, but I just couldn't help it after looking

at the Ducks group of top draft picks and two 1sts and 2nds in the upcoming

draft.  Did I miss their 33.3m Cap Space????

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Detroit almost made the P/Os this year and is loaded with a solid bunch of young players. 

SY is sitting on almost 30m in cap space, so bringing in some toughness to support the core

This is what it's like when a team chooses to rebuild, rather than sputter along trying to patch

together a playoff team that might make the playoffs.  On top of that, the team managed to

pick 3 top 10 players; two of which turned out to be duds and 1 who is struggling to make

the teams' 4th line.  All those 1st and 2nd round picks that were thrown away like candy, as

well as trading drafted players with promise (Mcann and Forsling).  Then there's "why isn't

anyone taking Kole Lind?"  Well Jim, why weren't you looking at N. Hauge and J. Robertson,

Sorry for bringing this up again, guys/gals, but I just couldn't help it after looking

Because Benning thought he could cut corners. Then by the time he realized he was screwing up, he couldn't fix the holes in the team fast enough.

Sadly Linden hired Benning, but was trying to rein him in, and get him back on the path of building through the draft, and lost in the power struggle.

Linden's mistake was trusting Benning. Problem is at the time was there a better option at GM at the time? Not really that I can remember.

1 hour ago, qwijjibo said:

Even when Benning got nailed for 2 charges of tampering it was only a $50k fine ($25k for each charge). 

How is Yzerman saying this any different from Benning saying he'll speak to Stamkos and Subban?

2 minutes ago, Pears said:

How is Yzerman saying this any different from Benning saying he'll speak to Stamkos and Subban?

Yzerman said this behind closed doors to someone that Shah may have connections with. 

Benning made his statements live on a radio station.  He admitted he did it to be more candid with Canucks fans, but that was a mistake...

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Pears said:

This is a "report based on Intel a reporter has gathered" . There is literally no quote attributed to  Yzerman. There's no proof that Detroit is even interested in Dakota, let alone that Yzeman has publicly stated it to a reporter.   If anything it's speculation at best.

Benning literally said on camera that they were interested in Subban and Stamkos.  Do you really not understand how it's different? 

• Cheers 1

I love Joshua and I’m glad he’s gonna get his bag, he’s earned it with the way he’s played the game.

as a GM, wouldn’t you be a little hesitant seeing that it’s not been one year of production at this level? I don’t think it was a fluke. I think it was a lot of chemistry with Garland and Blueger though. 

Big thanks to Dakota Joshua for being one of the early adopters and champions of the compete level required by our coaching staff and translating team structure into better than expected offensive results.

Best wishes for him to build on his success, wherever he ends up - except when he’s lined up against us! 

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

That's way too much for 18 goals and 32 points.  I don't see Joshua's totals improving significantly from there.  Good luck to him, if he can get that type of contract, good for him.

he will lose a step in 2-3 years plus he was scrathched at the beginning of the year and showed up to camp out of shape.

45 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

What firsts thrown away?  They drafted Virt, McCaan,  boes, oj, Petey QH and podz consecutively did they not?  then the first for JT, which I doubt most would complain about.  You could argue about the Guenther pick, but had he hired a better coach that might have been a steal with oel and garland.

What happened post draft is a different story, but I don't think you can say he squandered his first round picks

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

"According to the intel Shah gathered, the Detroit Red Wings are extremely high on Joshua, and their GM, Steve Yzerman, would be putting together an offer with an AAV north of $4M"

https://www.canucksdaily.com/nhl-team/vancouver-canucks/detroit-red-wings-getting-ready-to-steal-dakota-joshua-with-a-massive-offer

Can anyone confirm that they heard Shah say the same thing? 

This doesn't surprise me.  He was on pace for 42 points this year.  That translates to $4Mish in terms of production, but then you factor in the size, the hits, the PK ability, the forecheck, the swagger, the grit... probably puts him over $4M. 

That's basically why I've excluded him from all of my projections.  He's gonna be too much $ for the Canucks.  It'll be interesting to see if he replicates his performance without Garland.

I believe this would constitute "tampering"

Although I don't question that a team would step up and make that type of offer to him, even letting that type of information out right now would be tampering. This is most likely just media fueled speculation that they are trying to position as fact.

56 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

To be fair to JB, McCann bounced around and before he was drafted to seattle, the maple leafs brought him in to dangle as bait. He didnt really find a true home until his second year in seattle

forsling was put on waivers and florida claimed him after being trade a few times

you make it sound like it was Jim benning who passed on these guys and immediately stepped into their current roles but the truth is, many teams chose to move on from them

top 10 picks benning went 50%
Petey and Hughes

missed on Juulevi and Virtanen

I do agree about the patching the holes, however we dont know what goes on behind the scenes. Could have been pressured to take that route.

where Jim Benning smelled like rotten garbage was really the contracts he gave out

but in the end, Benning built the current core, Allvin and JR are filling in the holes

Edited by Johnny
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So tampering through the media again?

If these “insiders” sources are people directly working in the front office of a team and numbers are being passed along it’s tampering plain and simple.

These things needed to be investigated by the NHL. But I guess Stevie Y is part of the old boys insiders club so it probably wouldn’t go anywhere…

2 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Thanks for the memories Dak, was a big fan of his game. Serious question, think this is the time to cash in on Garland. Joshua is literally the only person Garland has shown consistent chemistry with his entire time as a Canuck. His value would be the highest in years after having such a solid year for us (even if the production still was only ok). Maybe now is the time to cash in on Garland instead of hoping he develops chemistry with another player on the team, something he's shown to struggle with.

Garland needs to be the best player on the line he's a play driver not a passenger that's probably the reason he hasn't shown chemistry with Miller or Petey line, he's a consistent 50pt player since he's got here.  He needs to be the offensive focus for his line to max his efficiency, he played with 2 forecheckers that help gets him the puck and he'll make his magic work for his line. Podz bluger Garland would make a good 3rd line now get a winger to play with Petey if Lindhom isn't going to sign.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Why 4mil = have to be a top 6? We have 4.75 in mikheyev on our 4th and 5 mil in garland on our 3rd? Garland benefitted way more from Joshua than the other way around. Garland literally didn’t do anything without Joshua.. heck even linddholm is a 3rd liner here and if re-signed very high potential rt will stick him as a 3c for his depth at center 

Edited by wai_lai416