[Rumour] Yzerman ready to offer Dakota Joshua north of $4M

Signing him to term at 4 million is INSANE. 

The guy barely looked like an NHL player last year and in preseason... is 28.. and the 18 goals he scored are the most he has ever scored since he was a teenager even in the AHL. I could see them signing him at 3.. but even that I would not do if I was GM. His body of work does not justify it. 

If you are overpaying by a million or so for what is basically a support player you do that for Zadorov. Bigger, meaner, better fighter, more intimidating, bigger hitter, bigger personality on the team and plays D.. which is more important that 3rd line wing. 

• Like 1

IMG_0551.thumb.jpeg.aa39a1be3c4e7d7b2ae2bfabfc2b0430.jpeg
This looks about right yeah?  

The age old question of draft for position (I DO remember that OJ was consistently ranked as the top D) vs bpa.  I do (and always have) hated anything other than bpa.  It is arrogance (ignorance?) to believe that you can predict both a teams’ and players development AND how they’ll eventually go together.  Take the best player every time!

@HKSRmakes a good point about the butterfly effect.  But that to me is more of a coincidence and not evidence of good management.

1 minute ago, rmok said:

The guy barely looked like an NHL player last year and in preseason... is 28.. and the 18 goals he scored are the most he has ever scored since he was a teenager even in the AHL. I could see them signing him at 3.. but even that I would not do if I was GM. His body of work does not justify it. 

If you are overpaying by a million or so for what is basically a support player you do that for Zadorov. Bigger, meaner, better fighter, more intimidating, bigger hitter, bigger personality on the team and plays D.. which is more important that 3rd line wing. 

no - he was scratched at beginning of year and RT said he came into camp out shape and did seem to understand his job was not guaranteed

7 hours ago, JIAHN said:

I call BS

If Yzerman let that out, he could be charged with tampering.....

I t could happen, but Yzerman never said it!

^ this. 

Sats breath smells like shit. 

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Butterfly effect... we may have finished 1 or 2 spots better in the standings...

NYR would have selected before us the following year.  They would have picked Elias Pettersson.

We would have landed either Cody Glass or Lias Andersson.

So we likely would have been worst by 1 or 2 spots the year after that.  We would have selected a couple spots higher.

Barrett Hayton was 5th OA.  Filip Zadina was 6th OA.  Quinn Hughes was 7th OA.

Tkachuk, Glass, and Zadina

OR

Juolevi, Pettersson, and Hughes

Things worked out just fine in the end

but that doesnt negate the awful miss

• ThereItIs 1

41 minutes ago, rmok said:

i think people also forget he showed up to camp out of shape

the chance of regression is insanely high, if he wants anything more than 2.5, i hope we let him walk

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Toni Zamboni said:

i was hoping for a bit more from him during the playoffs tbh

4 goals 8 points and still leads the entire playoffs with 74 hits. Even if we were paying him $4M+ he would have been one of our better value contracts in the playoffs 

• Upvote 1

He's a 4m player! 4x4, been saying it for about 5 months.

I like how the people coming home from work are going to chime in and agree that he's worth this tag.

Edited by Western Red

9 minutes ago, Western Red said:

He's a 4m player! 4x4, been saying it for about 5 months.

I like how the people coming home from work are going to chime in and agree that he's worth this tag.

What he can get on the open market and what he’s worth to our team are not necessarily the same thing.

I’m not sure that one’s shift schedule changes much in this regard.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

What he can get on the open market and what he’s worth to our team are not necessarily the same thing.

I’m not sure that one’s shift schedule changes much in this regard.

I completely agree and yes, I was trolling a little. 

Dak at 4m deserves a bit more consideration that the feeling I get on the boards though, imo.

• Cheers 1

Joshua's big, can skate, scored 18 last year, was impactful in the playoffs. I can see how some feel he's worth $4.

I'm not sure the Canucks can afford him at $4 though. If they got him at $3.5, I'd be pretty happy.

Just now, Nucker67 said:

Joshua's big, can skate, scored 18 last year, was impactful in the playoffs. I can see how some feel he's worth $4.

I'm not sure the Canucks can afford him at $4 though. If they got him at $3.5, I'd be pretty happy.

They’re gonna have to go long term to keep him I think.

Would they do like 17.5 over 5 years? Big commitment for a relatively unproven player.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

They’re gonna have to go long term to keep him I think.

Would they do like 17.5 over 5 years? Big commitment for a relatively unproven player.

Save the money for Big Z!  
A little bit more of a sure thing imo.  You might even get a bit better than expected as he settles in to our system and city.  DJ has a little bit more potential to go sideways.  

I like him and think he’ll continue to play well.  I just don’t think that he’s so critical that it’s worth the risk.  

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, JIAHN said:

I call BS

If Yzerman let that out, he could be charged with tampering.....

I t could happen, but Yzerman never said it!

Absolutely right.  Yzerman is well known for keeping his cards close to his vest.  He just wouldn't say this even if it was free agency time.  He is also known for driving a hard bargain.  If it's true, I suspect whoever leaked the info would be fired.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Coryberg said:

If that's the case... bye bye Josh, was fun while it lasted.

His 21.4% shooting percentage is guaranteed to come back to earth especially without Garland feeding him those tap ins. One thing you can count on his him hitting everything that moves but even then he isn't the hardest hitter.

Anything north of 3 is too much IMO. I have faith in the pro scouting department to find players who can do 80% of what he does at 40% of that offer.

Best argument I've seen here. I checked out his numbers after I read your post

last year 21%

years prior in reverse order

15.5 %

9.7  %

11.1 %

His 21% is not sustainable, and if he's moved up the lineup on any team he's going to face top 4 defenses and top 6 forwards. That will affect his game. Love what he brings but at a price. Is he replaceable, yes.

He also only had 16.8% of his starts in the defensive zone.

I like Joshua but he's not worth 4 mil. I'd happily save that money and have Tocchet at team work with Podz who is faster, a better hitter, and has more skill. Its his time to grow anyways. Use that money to re-sign Zad and go hard at Guentzel.

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/dakota-joshua-player-stats?category=shooting&seasonType=reg

1 hour ago, Canucklehead44 said:

4 goals 8 points and still leads the entire playoffs with 74 hits. Even if we were paying him $4M+ he would have been one of our better value contracts in the playoffs 

I can't remember a single hit he made. 

Weren't all his goals in 2 games. He was good in the first game each series and then basically invisible. 

25 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Just based on the headline, this sounds like a made up rumour.

I actually agree. Probably planted by Joshua's agent to get the Canucks to up their offer. 

Only if we play him with Petey, and find a RW for them with. Can't pay 3rd line 7+ for a C and 4.9 and 4+ wingers that's insane. Time to upgrade them to 2nd line guys or move on. Maybe Petey with Joshua and a UFA works long term. I'm okay with it if that's the plan. Still a risk but so is signing a big dollar UFA 

17 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Only if we play him with Petey, and find a RW for them with. Can't pay 3rd line 7+ for a C and 4.9 and 4+ wingers that's insane. Time to upgrade them to 2nd line guys or move on. Maybe Petey with Joshua and a UFA works long term. I'm okay with it if that's the plan. Still a risk but so is signing a big dollar UFA 

They tried Petey with DJ, it doesn't work.

Been thinking for a while, as much as I'd love us to keep him, he's probably going to price his way out of Van. We'll have to rely on our recently much improved pro scouting to find the "next Joshua" and/or guys like Podkolzin taking a step to fill that hole I'm guessing. But if they can find a way to keep him, and under $3m or so, great!

1 hour ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

He also only had 16.8% of his starts in the defensive zone.

Not sure I've even heard of a player with dzone starts that low. As far as I can see on Joshua's dzone starts he was 59.6 in his first year and 64.9 last year

6 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Not sure I've even heard of a player with dzone starts that low. As far as I can see on Joshua's dzone starts he was 59.6 in his first year and 64.9 last year

image.thumb.png.42f50ca641162fec69240552c21a662e.png

he only had the 4th highest D zone start ratio. mind you that was mostly the pk. 

5v5

image.thumb.png.8046cdd82a66aaa253f817e537eac093.png

nope basically 2nd.

Bum!

Edited by Hammertime