[Rumour] Yzerman ready to offer Dakota Joshua north of $4M

40 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Not sure I've even heard of a player with dzone starts that low. As far as I can see on Joshua's dzone starts he was 59.6 in his first year and 64.9 last year

Ah ok, I guess the site I looked at was off 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, rmok said:

Signing him to term at 4 million is INSANE. 

The guy barely looked like an NHL player last year and in preseason... is 28.. and the 18 goals he scored are the most he has ever scored since he was a teenager even in the AHL. I could see them signing him at 3.. but even that I would not do if I was GM. His body of work does not justify it. 

If you are overpaying by a million or so for what is basically a support player you do that for Zadorov. Bigger, meaner, better fighter, more intimidating, bigger hitter, bigger personality on the team and plays D.. which is more important that 3rd line wing. 

And I can’t see why Podz can’t be as effective if worked with. He’s faster, hits harder, more skilled and has scored 14 goals and 26 pts in his rookie year.

My guess is the Canucks know he can backfill Joshua’s role easily if given some time and coaching. 

i honestly believe this is best anyway. It’s time for Podz to have a bit more rope to develop into what he can be. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

28 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

And I can’t see why Podz can’t be as effective if worked with. He’s faster, hits harder, more skilled and has scored 14 goals and 26 pts in his rookie year.

My guess is the Canucks know he can backfill Joshua’s role easily if given some time and coaching. 

i honestly believe this is best anyway. It’s time for Podz to have a bit more rope to develop into what he can be. 

Podz needs to develop a higher level of intensity if he’s going to backfill for Joshua. He’s still young, definitely time is on his side but this season he needs to define his role and type going forward. Hope he realizes his best path right now is to become a strong defensive minded player in the NHL and will land a permanent position on the club if he can focus that way for the next two seasons. He won’t be counted on as an offensive threat, and we have Lek who is earmarked that way, so I just want to see Podz cement himself accordingly.

7 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Podz needs to develop a higher level of intensity if he’s going to backfill for Joshua. He’s still young, definitely time is on his side but this season he needs to define his role and type going forward. Hope he realizes his best path right now is to become a strong defensive minded player in the NHL and will land a permanent position on the club if he can focus that way for the next two seasons. He won’t be counted on as an offensive threat, and we have Lek who is earmarked that way, so I just want to see Podz cement himself accordingly.

It’s a bit early to assume he’s only a defensive player 

he showed in his rookie year he had offensive skill 

the focus of the team was for him to develop his 2 way game 

Joshua was benched early in the season, his development is more a credit to the coaching staff than anything else 

Both Podz and Joshua had similar first full years in the NHL. Podz was 20, Joshua was 26

Podz is 22 Dakota is now 28

perspective dude 

Edited by ArmchairGM22
  • ThereItIs 2

34 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

Joshua was benched early in the season, his development is more a credit to the coaching staff than anything else 

Both Podz and Joshua had similar first full years in the NHL. Podz was 20, Joshua was 26

perspective dude 

i am speaking with perspective.

i mentioned he’s young. Don’t understand why you’re countering that.

sure he has potential as a top 6, but do you recall why he was benched? Because he couldn’t maintain his defensive responsibilities. He’s not immediately going to be counted on as a two way player in the NHL. AHL? Sure thing.

i ask you, as of right now who does he supplant in the top 6? That’s right, no one.

Therefore, as a resource to this club, his best bet is learn the NHL game defensively so he fits into Tocchet’s system and immediately becomes a dependable 3/4 option. Just like Joshua, who had to ensure he had the coach’s trust, so does Podz. That takes time, and especially at top level where he has to establish a better IQ at both ends of the ice.

You’re missing my point. I’m not reducing him to be a defensive player yet, but I am saying he’s not going to play long for this club and get his much needed reps unless he can become a better defensive player and focus on that end first. That makes sense, yeah?

8 minutes ago, RWJC said:

i am speaking with perspective.

i mentioned he’s young. Don’t understand why you’re countering that.

sure he has potential as a top 6, but do you recall why he was benched? Because he couldn’t maintain his defensive responsibilities. He’s not immediately going to be counted on as a two way player in the NHL. AHL? Sure thing.

i ask you, as of right now who does he supplant in the top 6? That’s right, no one.

Therefore, as a resource to this club, his best bet is learn the NHL game defensively so he fits into Tocchet’s system and immediately becomes a dependable 3/4 option. Just like Joshua, who had to ensure he had the coach’s trust, so does Podz. That takes time, and especially at top level where he has to establish a better IQ at both ends of the ice.

You’re missing my point. I’m not reducing him to be a defensive player yet, but I am saying he’s not going to play long for this club and get his much needed reps unless he can become a better defensive player and focus on that end first. That makes sense, yeah?

Joshua was playing on the third line my guy 

podz was complimented by Tocchet in the games he played for how well he was playoff defensively 

he’s clearly taken a step and has all the ability to bring what Joshua did 

Edited by ArmchairGM22

5 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

No shit. What’s your point?

I’m saying if Podz makes the roster he’s going to be at most right now 3/4 line, but he’s going to have to learn to play the game with an aggressive defensive slant and up the intensity.

look at his stat lines. That tells you all you need to know about insisting he’s going to somehow soon be a solid NHL two way player.

The last 3 seasons in the NHL:
79 GP - 22pts

39 GP - 7pts

19GP - 2pts

In the AHL he’s about a 45-50pt avg guy at this point in his career.

if you want him playing reps and sticking in the NHL he’s going to have to be a spark plug that is defensively sound first and foremost and that’s at both ends of the ice. Thats what’s required of 3rd and 4th line players, yeah? That means backchecking and forechecking. He needs to play with more edge and become a bit of a nuisance to the other team. That is his route to sticking with this club for the time being.  That’s all I’m saying. Not sure why you even have an argument against that. Go back and look at what RT had to say about him and what his game requires. Here:

In an interview with noted National radio program Halford and Brough on the Sportsnet radio network, the Vancouver Canucks’ head coach was asked what he’ll need to see from young players like Höglander and Podkolzin in order for them to make the team out of camp.

“Enthusiasm,” said Tocchet. “Chasing pucks down, winning puck battles. I think young guys add that to the team. When you can get a bunch of young guys to play for you that they just bring that enthusiasm. Even in practice in the doldrums of the season sometimes in practices, guys are a little bit tired or whatever, if you got a young guy out there buzzing around, the guys you mentioned Podkolzin and Höglander, can they be that guy, those energy bunnies. Can they be the first on the forecheck, can they get the crowd going at Rogers? Those are the things you want these young guys to do, just add a little bit of spice and life to your team. Obviously, they have skill sets, but one thing for me is whether can they be really good forecheckers for us. That would be huge for me, if I could get those young guys, we’d be a good forechecking group.”

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

podz was complimented by Tocchet in the games he played for how well he was playoff defensively 

he’s clearly taken a step and has all the ability to bring what Joshua did 

that is my point exactly, thank you.

if he continues to play that way he will define a permanent role with the club. 

Again, no clue why you’re arguing it.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

perspective dude 

Podz seems like a guy that won’t have thing clic till he’s 26+ too I hope we can keep him for the long haul I really like him and his work ethic 

10 hours ago, RWJC said:

No shit. What’s your point?

I’m saying if Podz makes the roster he’s going to be at most right now 3/4 line, but he’s going to have to learn to play the game with an aggressive defensive slant and up the intensity.

look at his stat lines. That tells you all you need to know about insisting he’s going to somehow soon be a solid NHL two way player.

The last 3 seasons in the NHL:
79 GP - 22pts

39 GP - 7pts

19GP - 2pts

In the AHL he’s about a 45-50pt avg guy at this point in his career.

if you want him playing reps and sticking in the NHL he’s going to have to be a spark plug that is defensively sound first and foremost and that’s at both ends of the ice. Thats what’s required of 3rd and 4th line players, yeah? That means backchecking and forechecking. He needs to play with more edge and become a bit of a nuisance to the other team. That is his route to sticking with this club for the time being.  That’s all I’m saying. Not sure why you even have an argument against that. Go back and look at what RT had to say about him and what his game requires. Here:

In an interview with noted National radio program Halford and Brough on the Sportsnet radio network, the Vancouver Canucks’ head coach was asked what he’ll need to see from young players like Höglander and Podkolzin in order for them to make the team out of camp.

“Enthusiasm,” said Tocchet. “Chasing pucks down, winning puck battles. I think young guys add that to the team. When you can get a bunch of young guys to play for you that they just bring that enthusiasm. Even in practice in the doldrums of the season sometimes in practices, guys are a little bit tired or whatever, if you got a young guy out there buzzing around, the guys you mentioned Podkolzin and Höglander, can they be that guy, those energy bunnies. Can they be the first on the forecheck, can they get the crowd going at Rogers? Those are the things you want these young guys to do, just add a little bit of spice and life to your team. Obviously, they have skill sets, but one thing for me is whether can they be really good forecheckers for us. That would be huge for me, if I could get those young guys, we’d be a good forechecking group.”

I guess yoh didn’t see how he played in his few games in the playoffs and are ignoring what he showed in his rookie year 

again, his focus in the AHL was playing defensively responsible which he was 

it’s clear you didn’t watch his game in Abby nor when he was called up

you’re literally saying he needs to be defensively responsible and a spark plug, which he showed 

then complain about his 2 points 

smh 

he can easily replace Joshua 

39 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

I guess yoh didn’t see how he played in his few games in the playoffs and are ignoring what he showed in his rookie year 

again, his focus in the AHL was playing defensively responsible which he was 

it’s clear you didn’t watch his game in Abby nor when he was called up

you’re literally saying he needs to be defensively responsible and a spark plug, which he showed 

then complain about his 2 points 

smh 

he can easily replace Joshua 

Nevermind. I’m happy we’re both optimistic about him. I have watched him intently in both leagues and basically believe he needs to show much more consistency at the NHL level though which he will likely get a chance to do so this season. You’re arguing for no reason. 

Don’t smack your head too hard. That brain cell is valuable to you. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Haha 2

I'm okay with walking from Dak.

Good for him if he can get that kind of money, he deserves it. But we have bigger fish to fry, we need more top end skill in the lineup and can't waste it on bottom six talent. Already have Mikheyev and Garland making close to 5 mil and are third liners.

Use the money to go get a difference maker. We can find size and physicality in a different avenue...if anything almost imperative Podkolzin takes a step next season.

• Cheers 4

37 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Nevermind. I’m happy we’re both optimistic about him. I have watched him intently in both leagues and basically believe he needs to show much more consistency at the NHL level though which he will likely get a chance to do so this season. You’re arguing for no reason. 

Don’t smack your head too hard. That brain cell is valuable to you. 

How cute, trying to insult someone on the internet because you are embarrassed they know more about hockey than you.

You're maturity is showing. I'm so hurt, some random kid is angry at me on the internet. How will my self confidence recover. 🥲

giggles

Edited by ArmchairGM22
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

14 hours ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

time to pass this position torch to Podz

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, testycal said:

time to pass this position torch to Podz

Absolutely. With the cap concerns we have, giving Podz his shot is a valuable move. It is the epitome of a low risk and potentially high reward situation. Especially if it means we can keep Lindholm, Zadorov and hopefully Hronek.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, BTueyCanucksFan said:

Absolutely. With the cap concerns we have, giving Podz his shot is a valuable move. It is the epitome of a low risk and potentially high reward situation. Especially if it means we can keep Lindholm, Zadorov and hopefully Hronek.

Agreed. Even if we can’t keep all of them, Podz should still be up on the roster this season and establishing a regular role. His price point is great and he’s one of the best depth options we have to try and take the next step. Karlsson as well, imho. Worth a real look to see what they can bring. 

Would be good to give Lek some games early on as well and without burning the first year of his ELC (of course, all depending on how he performs and whom we bring in in offseason into top 6)

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

17 hours ago, IBatch said:

Please go back and look at where OJ was ranked before the WJ's, and don't cherry pick, then go and look where he was ranked after.   And be fair because 6 isn't "consensus".   Where did ISS and THN have him.    9-11.   Don't look at hockey personalities other than Craig Button, they don't count, they aren't scouts.

Cherry picking? are you serious?? You are literally picking one period of time where his rankings may have been lower and COMPLETELY ignoring the fact rankings change as the season goes on. Rankings are not linear, they fluctuate. After WJ, the remainder of the season and playoffs/Memorial cup. He consistently ranked the highest and his final rankings were higher than Chychrun and Sergachev. You are acting as if you could see the future and knew 1000000% he wouldn't pan out. You complain and say he was "an off the board pick" yet his rankings were well within the top 10 where as the other two would have legitimately been off the board picks by your very own definition.

Bolded I lol'd irl. "dont cherry pick" good god man.

NHL central scouting had OJ 5th OA and TSN had him 6th. Oh but that doesnt count because only Craig Button knows what he's talking about? I dont think Button as all that great if he had Puljujarvi and Dubois in the top 4, those guys fucking blow chunks. Oh but he did have Chychrun at 17th and OJ at 9th and Sergachev was only sitting 1 spot higher. Give your head a shake man, no one can predict the outcome of the draft, its just better odds. Even he was wrong on half of his top 10 picks. Puljujarvi, Dubois, Nylander, Brown and OJ.

On average Olli Juolevi ranked higher than any other dman, what is so hard to understand about that?

OJ was not drafted for offence, he was drafted based on his overall game, his first pass zone exit abilities and his spatial awareness. He was smooth and had an excellent first pass that helped transition up the ice quick.  Quit looking purely at points.

17 hours ago, IBatch said:

Don't get me going on this or you're going to get schooled.    MT was as high as 2-3.   In another stratosphere, landed around 3-4.   PLD was the JB public pick, if it was a ruse it didn't matter.    I'm well aware of Bryan Allen.   And Ohlund.   And the guys before him.   How did Allen work out anyways?   Not very good.   Bryan McCabe was better.    Thanks to Linden.   OJ, why do you think he was a "consensus" pick at 6?   Was barely on the radar during the pre-season, some had him as a second rounder.   Chychrun on the other hand, a year before that was considered a guy to challenge for first overall.   OJ is a prime example of overrating guys based on one WJ tourney, he's not at all the first and won't be the last.   As for EP, his ranking was right around OJ's too.   Can't have it one way, and not the other. 

Has it not clicked for you yet? Brian Allen and Matthias Ohlund???? How did that help our blueline during our rebuild?? McCabe? I dont give a flying fuck about McCabe, the whole point is we needed to build a god damn blueline. 18 years between dmen. When the hell do you plan to build a blueline if you're never going to draft a dman? We took 2 forwards and a highly ranked goalie the draft prior, that was potentially 3 good pieces to start, so when OJ climbed the rankings, it was a good opportunity to maybe consider starting to draft and develop a dman with potential. We were so far behind on the prospect pipe line we couldnt afford to keep drafting forwards. Otherwise you're forced to trade for a dman and you end up investing into their decline.  

Ultimately the OJ pick did not affect our ability to turn this organization around. Every organization has busts, Edmonton has had how many 1OA busts? Thanks to OJ we have Pettersson and Hughes, had we picked Tkachuk it would be Weegar and Huberdeau in their place.

As for Chychrun he played in OHL a year prior to OJ, so scouts got a good sense of what type of player he was. Did you even realize that or were you adding more cherries to your bucket?

Once again, its a full season and two tournaments the he consistently climbed the rankings and that was in his first season in the OHL. 

Elias Petterssons ranking was nowhere near what OJ was ranked. ISS Hockey had EP ranked at 20th. Not even remotely close to OJs worst ranking.

Olli Juloevi's 2016 NHL draft consensus ranking was 7th overall. 2 spots off from where he was taken and yet still the highest ranked dman in the entire draft. Serg and Chych were 9th and 10th, and even further reach in hopes of potential.

Craig Buttons had Nolan Patrick, Cody Glass and Gabe Vilardi all ahead of Pettersson. How'd that prove his level of judgement to be? Not very good and thats because there is no guarnatee at the draft other than your draft position and the position of the player you are drafting. 

18 hours ago, IBatch said:

Edit:  The Bouchard comment is that even though he was much younger, he came in and produced playing on London as OJ's partner.   Draft plus one.   The point is, younger players matched his or out produced him after he was drafted.   And he is a RHD.    And two years younger.    The CHL is loaded with guys who score 40 plus points from the blueline.   The OJ hype was a result of the WJ's.   Some had him as a late to early second going into his draft year.   The bullish folks a mid round pick.

Bouchard is all offense, his defensive game is nothing to write home about. high risk high reward and also if you look at the GP, EP was injured that season and had less GP. 

18 hours ago, IBatch said:

On EP.   He was expected to go around 9-11.     Yes another off board pick.   Anyone drafted top five,  is expected to have a long NHL career.    JB "drafting" was affected by the new rules.    And did hit a couple home runs in QHs and EP.    Brock too really, same with Demko.    Forsling and McAan as well.     The team hasn't had a major hit past the 2nd round since Edler which is awful. 

Yet JB was one of the most successful GMs at drafting during his tenure across the entire league, with no top 3 picks. Only a small handful of teams that produced more NHL players, partly thanks to having a better draft position overall.

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Agreed. Even if we can’t keep all of them, Podz should still be up on the roster this season and establishing a regular role. His price point is great and he’s one of the best depth options we have to try and take the next step. Karlsson as well, imho. Worth a real look to see what they can bring. 

Would be good to give Lek some games early on as well and without burning the first year of his ELC (of course, all depending on how he performs and whom we bring in in offseason into top 6)

Agree 100%. Who knows, maybe Raty can turn into a solid middle six centre in the NHL over the next couple of years. If the rumors are true that Lindholm is going to free agency on July 1, Raty could get an opportunity to take the next logical step in his development. Would love to see that happen, and to see him run with it also. However, we will need a plan B,C, etc.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 6/10/2024 at 8:28 AM, HKSR said:

I honestly don't blame Dakota.  He's turning 29 and has a career earnings total of $1.5M.  If I were him, I'd be chasing bank too...

Agree, but north of 4 mill is a serious overpayment....Yazerman can clearly afford to smoke the REALLY good stuff....

4 hours ago, BTueyCanucksFan said:

Agree 100%. Who knows, maybe Raty can turn into a solid middle six centre in the NHL over the next couple of years. If the rumors are true that Lindholm is going to free agency on July 1, Raty could get an opportunity to take the next logical step in his development. Would love to see that happen, and to see him run with it also. However, we will need a plan B,C, etc.

If Lindy goes to FA, I assume Suter will drop back to 3C, which is why they got him in the first place

9 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I'm okay with walking from Dak.

Good for him if he can get that kind of money, he deserves it. But we have bigger fish to fry, we need more top end skill in the lineup and can't waste it on bottom six talent. Already have Mikheyev and Garland making close to 5 mil and are third liners.

Use the money to go get a difference maker. We can find size and physicality in a different avenue...if anything almost imperative Podkolzin takes a step next season.

Garland has shown me enough to believe he deserves a chance in the top 6. If that works, his contract would become a bargain. 

Mikheyev, on the other hand, has to go. He doesn’t belong in the top 6 and we have better bottom 6 options, who are much cheaper. 

10 hours ago, fuzzy said:

I don't think we should be looking at replacing Joshua with just 1 player. We can replace his toughness with better team toughness, better team scoring, better team speed...etc. We should be looking at revamping our bottom 6 to raise our team floor. 

Joshua was tough but he was pretty restrained as well.  We'd miss that, but I think that would be the least of the issues.  His work around the net and not being afraid to get in the tough areas is what we'll miss.

Can Podz become that guy?  I hope so, but I haven't seen it so far in his early career.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, fuzzy said:

I don't think we should be looking at replacing Joshua with just 1 player. We can replace his toughness with better team toughness, better team scoring, better team speed...etc. We should be looking at revamping our bottom 6 to raise our team floor. 

I agree.  We get Podkolzin to play on the 3rd line and hope he takes the next step.  Tocchet really likes him and he has more potential than Joshua to be a top 6 player in the future.  We can also get a 4th liner with toughness on the left side to replace the toughness of Joshua.  Tanner Jeannot is apparently available.  I'd go after him...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2