[Rumour] Yzerman ready to offer Dakota Joshua north of $4M

I expect Mgmt to be creative so I am sure there are many other moves to be made but I would be more than happy with a patient approach that incorporates something similar to the following. With the below lineup, even if Mgmt has to keep Mik and we factor in the Poolman/OEL cap hits, the cap comes to approximately $83M (minus one winger for EP). Mgmt has a decent amount of space to find a winger for EP and they would be able to build up LTIR space during the season for the TDL.

However, this relies on playing the young guys and playing Big Z with Hughes. Toch doesn't like playing lefty D-men on the right side but if those two can build up consistency during the year, QH and Z would be primed come playoff time (skilled bodyguard for QH). It also allows Hronek to drive his own pair and be the PP2 quarterback.

Suter Miller Boeser $16.25M

Garland EP xx $16.55M + $5M??? 

Mik Blueger Karlsson $7.78M

Hogs Aman Podz $2.95M

PBG $775K

Hughes Big Z $13.1M

Soucy Hronek $10.5M

Dillon Juulsen $3.78M

Friedman $775K

Demko/Silovs $5.78M

OEL $2.35M

Poolman $2.5M

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

I expect Mgmt to be creative so I am sure there are many other moves to be made but I would be more than happy with a patient approach that incorporates something similar to the following. With the below lineup, even if Mgmt has to keep Mik and we factor in the Poolman/OEL cap hits, the cap comes to approximately $83M (minus one winger for EP). Mgmt has a decent amount of space to find a winger for EP and they would be able to build up LTIR space during the season for the TDL.

However, this relies on playing the young guys and playing Big Z with Hughes. Toch doesn't like playing lefty D-men on the right side but if those two can build up consistency during the year, QH and Z would be primed come playoff time (skilled bodyguard for QH). It also allows Hronek to drive his own pair and be the PP2 quarterback.

Suter Miller Boeser $16.25M

Garland EP xx $16.55M + $5M??? 

Mik Blueger Karlsson $7.78M

Hogs Aman Podz $2.95M

PBG $775K

Hughes Big Z $13.1M

Soucy Hronek $10.5M

Dillon Juulsen $3.78M

Friedman $775K

Demko/Silovs $5.78M

OEL $2.35M

Poolman $2.5M

Not to be mean, but that's not a cup contending lineup.   I don't mind Z playing with QHs at all.    The forward group is not impressive, and Garland/EP haven't found much chemistry, Garland is the 3rd line anchor (and that lines magic man)..   Maybe that's what we have to do not sure.    Not sure how Karlsson bumps Podz and Hogs but get maybe that's where things could be headed.     Would much rather pay to trade Mikheyev, and bump that 5 into a blue chip player then continue the middle six experiment.    Hogs can play on the third line.  Karlsson ... not sure he's even ready.   Aman, not a fan at all.   Rather we have a big heavy forward that crashes and bangs. 

• Like 1

Dak is a Michigan boy along with his little bro who went to Michigan State. I could see this being a great fit for him both geographically and style-wise. I do think any deal over 3X3.5 is a bit risky given his age, but I get the rarity of his skillset/size nowadays too. 

13 hours ago, IBatch said:

Not to be mean, but that's not a cup contending lineup.   I don't mind Z playing with QHs at all.    The forward group is not impressive, and Garland/EP haven't found much chemistry, Garland is the 3rd line anchor (and that lines magic man)..   Maybe that's what we have to do not sure.    Not sure how Karlsson bumps Podz and Hogs but get maybe that's where things could be headed.     Would much rather pay to trade Mikheyev, and bump that 5 into a blue chip player then continue the middle six experiment.    Hogs can play on the third line.  Karlsson ... not sure he's even ready.   Aman, not a fan at all.   Rather we have a big heavy forward that crashes and bangs. 

I disagree, with internal growth, that line-up has the potential to start the season strong and do what needs to be done to stay in the top three in the Pacific. Some of the names are place holders that could shift with Mgmt being creative and finding some undervalued players. For example:

Garland Miller DJ

Suter EP Boeser

Mik Blueger UFA/Karlsson

Hogs UFA/Aman Podz

Garland will be even better this year and I think Mik will have a bounce back year. 

Toch really like Karlsson and expect him to get games.

Hogs and Podz on the fourth line adds extra depth and allows them to develop with limited pressure on them. Hogs does really well when driving his own line. A youth line essentially.

Opening up LTIR space would be huge at the trade deadline. The proposed line up is the base and then Mgmt can address contender needs at the TDL.

Stevie Y, good go give Joshua 4x4, he deserves it but its an overpayment and not a contract a contender gives out

Stevie Y - let him continue to spin his wheels, Hronek out, so they can pay Walman, Walkman out cuz he's a jerk face and they want to pay Guentzel 10 and Joshua 4 and they have no goalie and they have 1 good man, way top go Stevie Y, him and copp can go make an expensive 3rd line together 

The problem with Joshua at $4M is that he would need to play at this whole new level consistently throughout the contract for it to payoff.  The expectation is that he will be a 40pt player on a regular basis.  That's a pretty big risk considering he was shooting at 21.43% this year and missed 17 games of the season.  He's not young either... he's 28 years old.  Maybe this is him hitting his prime years... but maybe not?  High risk signing for sure. 

Now if he was signing at $3.5M or less, that's a much safer bet.

58 minutes ago, HKSR said:

The problem with Joshua at $4M is that he would need to play at this whole new level consistently throughout the contract for it to payoff.  The expectation is that he will be a 40pt player on a regular basis.  That's a pretty big risk considering he was shooting at 21.43% this year and missed 17 games of the season.  He's not young either... he's 28 years old.  Maybe this is him hitting his prime years... but maybe not?  High risk signing for sure. 

Now if he was signing at $3.5M or less, that's a much safer bet.

if he loses a step, he is toast.

Lets not forget he was a healthy scratch at the beginning of the year and needed major prodding by RT who used the media to motivate DJ into getting into game shape, the guy, in a contract year, showed up to camp, out of shape...

yes he played great for a third of the year and in the playoffs and would have cracked 20 goals had he not broken his hand, but the Canucks management rightly see him and Zads as just having come off their best hockey ever with a track record not compatible with the rumoured amounts they are asking.

Ex: we saw the tweet that before the playoffs Milstein rejected a 4.5 x 5 year contract from the canucks - I think that is more than reasonable for a guy who has spent the majority of his career (truly up until the playoffs) as a no.5 d man at best...

Joshua is the same, he had a good year this year and a decent year last year and that's it, he is through the majority of his prime o 4x4 is just stupid and of Yzerman wants to pay that, go for it 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Wait we’re pursuing Guentzel? 😂 I was only trying to get us draft pick compensation.

Even if it was tampering (it's not) Vancouver wouldn't get any compensation.  Yzerman would be fined $25k and that's it 

Good on Joshua if he can get an offer like that... he should sign the best offer he can get considering he's probably worth $1 mill or less and this is his chance to set him self up for life after hockey.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Good on Joshua if he can get an offer like that... he should sign the best offer he can get considering he's probably worth $1 mill or less and this is his chance to set him self up for life after hockey.

Dunno, I can't shake the feeling that Joshua should show some loyalty to the team that built him back up. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Dunno, I can't shake the feeling that Joshua should show some loyalty to the team that built him back up. 

No such thing as loyalty in professional sports.  Money talks.

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Loyalty would be taking like 3 mil from us.

Apparently management offered something in the low 2’s…

Cant expect him to be that loyal.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Loyalty would be taking like 3 mil from us.

Apparently management offered something in the low 2’s…

Cant expect him to be that loyal.

Their valuation is probably bang on. 

It's ok , if Stevie is this hot on him, god speed. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Their valuation is probably bang on. 

It's ok , if Stevie is this hot on him, god speed. 

Most teams that overpay for size end up regretting it.

You can get a player that can pk and put up 15-20 for less than 4.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, Captain Hughes said:

Redwings offering Joshua 4 mill? Isn't that tampering? Yes yes it is tampering. 

No. No it's not tampering.  Show me anywhere where YZERMAN  is directly quoted.  This is a 3rd party report of something that may or may not have been overheard.   It's no different than the Canuvks reported interest in Guentzal 

26 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I don't think loyalty and wanting the highest contract go hand in hand. Which is fine, if you are looking for the most money , then move along. We want guys who want to be here and are willing to make sacrifices to win. We gave him a chance to succeed and if that means nothing to him, then beat it. :classic_biggrin:

• ThereItIs 1