[Rumour] Yzerman ready to offer Dakota Joshua north of $4M

If DJ can get 4AAV times 3 or more years good for him. We will find a similar player who wants to build his value. DJ getting a big contract is an advertisement for what our club can do for guys’ wanting to build value. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Loyalty would be taking like 3 mil from us.

Apparently management offered something in the low 2’s…

Cant expect him to be that loyal.

Low-mid $2's is probably what he's realistically worth (riding an unsustainable shooting % and Garland to a career year). If he/his agent can get him a bigger contract that helps set him/his family up for life, I'm not going to bemoan him doing so. Hockey players have short careers.

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Dunno, I can't shake the feeling that Joshua should show some loyalty to the team that built him back up. 

The guy's made under $1.5 mill gross income in his life. His net worth Is probably around 500k or less. 

He has a chance to make a few million and not have to stock grocery shelves at Safeway in a couple years. 

He'd be an idiot not to take the most money and longest term possible. 

Loyalty would be taking a bit less IF he had already made many millions and was signing for $5 plus million per year for 5 plus years. 

Not going for max money and max term in his situation would be plain stupid. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Dude can set his family up for generations if he's smart, it's not as if he's made a ton of money at the NHL level. Lot of folks here would do the same if possible, to question his character if he chooses to do so is a baffling thing to do.

Absolutely, go get the money Joshua. I'll happily watch someone overpay you.

49 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

The guy's made under $1.5 mill gross income in his life. His net worth Is probably around 500k or less. 

He has a chance to make a few million and not have to stock grocery shelves at Safeway in a couple years. 

He'd be an idiot not to take the most money and longest term possible. 

Loyalty would be taking a bit less IF he had already made many millions and was signing for $5 plus million per year for 5 plus years. 

Not going for max money and max term in his situation would be plain stupid. 

and thats your take. Who got him to this point? 

He did him self. 

Been working to learn the game of hockey since he was probably 5 or 6 years old. 5am practices, moving away from home as a teen to play hockey. Sacrificing so much of his life and putting everything towards being an NHL. 

Are you claiming it was the city of Vancouver? Or that the Vancouver Canucks were doing him a favor? He would have been sent to the minors in a hert beat of it didn't benefit the Canucks to keep him on the NHL roster...

9 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

He did him self. 

Um, no. He was a reclamation project that we didn't give up on. That's actually what happened.

9 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Been working to learn the game of hockey since he was probably 5 or 6 years old. 5am practices, moving away from home as a teen to play hockey. Sacrificing so much of his life and putting everything towards being an NHL. 

Are you claiming it was the city of Vancouver? Or that the Vancouver Canucks were doing him a favor? He would have been sent to the minors in a hert beat of it didn't benefit the Canucks to keep him on the NHL roster...

Coaches and a belief from management.

I wouldn't even blame Dak if he wants to go out there and grab the bag. He has never made big money in this league and this is his first (and likely best chance) to get a big pay day, I would completely understand if he does that, and hold no ill-will towards him and would wish him the best. I will always remember some big clutch goals he scored for us this seaon and in the playoffs.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I feel differently with JD than EP.  EP has a ridiculous bank account already whereas JD was a huge contributor this year and his bank account balance is likely less than many on this board.  I hope we keep him.  Don't know how that happens and expect it won't but he's a guy that shouldn't settle for sure.  This is his shot.  Guys making over $8M/yr for more than a decade, well......I feel differently.  

"If you want loyalty, get a dog"

For a player that's made as little money in the league as he has, there's a big difference between getting lesser money in one of the most expensive cities to live in North America and more money is a comparatively cheap city. Not to say he's hurting or anything, but he's not a multimillionaire, so these are things he has to consider. He had every right to chase bank. I know setting my family up for years would certainly take precedence over loyalty if I were in his shoes. I'm sure JR and Allvin understand that as well.

Thanks for 2 great years, Dakota. Go get your bag. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, 48MPHSlapshot said:

"If you want loyalty, get a dog"

For a player that's made as little money in the league as he has, there's a big difference between getting lesser money in one of the most expensive cities to live in North America and more money is a comparatively cheap city. Not to say he's hurting or anything, but he's not a multimillionaire, so these are things he has to consider. He had every right to chase bank. I know setting my family up for years would certainly take precedence over loyalty if I were in his shoes. I'm sure JR and Allvin understand that as well.

Thanks for 2 great years, Dakota. Go get your bag. 

I'd like to think he would follow blugers lead, but whatever. I don't think he's that big a loss.

• Vintage 1

I’m fully expecting DJ to sign in Detroit ,

its home.   Kid grew up in an Iconic Wings jersey playing street and ice..

only a bidding war will change this situation, but even then, this will probably stand to be his last contract wanting term in his decision.

15 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I’m fully expecting DJ to sign in Detroit ,

its home.   Kid grew up in an Iconic Wings jersey playing street and ice..

only a bidding war will change this situation, but even then, this will probably stand to be his last contract wanting term in his decision.

Pods in place of DJ on the third line with Bluegar and Garland? 

31 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Ok... What does that have to do with the effort and time our coaches put in? 

Nothing. Just pointing out that Joshua has a lot more incentive to chase a big money contract than Blueger. Blueger is set for life already, so he can afford to leave money on the table for the sake of loyalty. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I'd let him walk, but hey

Something else to watch: Vancouver created an additional $4M of cap space by trading Ilya Mikheyev to Chicago. Dakota Joshua remains an important target after a career-high 18-goal, 32-point season, and it is believed the Canucks re-engaged attempts to sign him as the trade occurred. We will see where that takes us.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/oilers-expected-to-allow-gm-ken-hollands-contract-to-expire/

50 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'd let him walk, but hey

Something else to watch: Vancouver created an additional $4M of cap space by trading Ilya Mikheyev to Chicago. Dakota Joshua remains an important target after a career-high 18-goal, 32-point season, and it is believed the Canucks re-engaged attempts to sign him as the trade occurred. We will see where that takes us.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/oilers-expected-to-allow-gm-ken-hollands-contract-to-expire/

I still think much over $2.5-$3 is going to eventually end up in us sending another 2nd to Chicago 😂

• Haha 2