[Discussion] Potential Canucks UFA Targets - Lindholm/Joshua Replacements

So let's say Lindholm and Joshua price themselves out of the Canucks.  Here's some guys that could fill the void, and TBH, I'd be pretty happy with them:

Lindholm (top 6F) Replacement:

Sean Monahan

Teuvo Teravainen

Jonathan Marchessault

Chandler Stephenson

Matt Duchene

Patrick Kane

All of the guys above are solid 60+ point forwards.  All of them likely $7M or less.  Due to age, I'd probably have Duchene and Marchessault lower on the list.  Stephenson, Tervainen, and Monahan would be top of my list.

Joshua (middle 6F) Replacement:

Daniel Sprong

Max Domi

Tyler Bertuzzi

Jason Zucker

Alex Wennberg

Jake Debrusk

Jack Roslovic

Anthony Duclair

Jordan Martinook

Michael Amadio

etc

Bottomline here is that there are quite a few options available.  I'm gonna bet that with such a large pool of players available this offseason (including lots of defencemen), some of these guys are gonna get less than they hoped for (a la Tyler Motte).  We're based waiting a bit to find a bargain here.  If we get any of the above guys for $2M to $2.5M, we'll be a very good shape.

Let's say $6.5M for one of the Top 6F replacements, and $2.5M for the Middle 6F replacement... that's pretty good cap allocation IMO.

<spreadsheet incoming>

• Like 1

Jake Debrusk and Anthony Duclair would be interesting pieces to acquire if Canucks can get them at decent cap hits but this coming season is going to be a rough one for them as trying to resign their current ufa's/rfa's will limit them pretty hard.

• Like 1

I don’t think teurvo is an option. Reports are he’s not a big practice hard all year kinda guy 

And when he left the blackhawks it was a work ethic issue

so multiple organizations over many years now and he’s not got the make up of a player out org values and targets imo if the reports or media stuff is true

who know how true this stuff is and I’m sure it wasn’t horrible to be Abel to play for brindamour but I’m sure management will do their due diligence and with the weight they are putting on practice effort if theirs any truth to it for teurvo he’s prolly not their guy

• ThereItIs 1

9 minutes ago, Shekky said:

Jake Debrusk and Anthony Duclair would be interesting pieces to acquire if Canucks can get them at decent cap hits but this coming season is going to be a rough one for them as trying to resign their current ufa's/rfa's will limit them pretty hard.

Thing about debrusk is I don’t think he’s gonna be worth what he signs for 

why has boston always been rumoured to be wanting to move him?

4 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Trying to forget the other 2 guys they picked?

1 13 Boston Jakub Zboril D Saint John Sea Dogs [QMJHL] 76 1 15 16 28 2022-23
1 14 Boston Jake DeBrusk L Swift Current Broncos [WHL] 465 138 128 266 101 2023-24
1 15 Boston Zachary Senyshyn R Soo Greyhounds [OHL] 16 1 2 3 4 2021-22

Would be surprised to see Marchessault, Kane, or Duchene signing here. I could see Monahan or Stephenson though. 

Sprong would be intriguing, he's put up back to back 40+ point seasons, I'd be interested in Wennberg too. Domi could be interesting, but meh. Duclair could be interesting depending on his ask.

Pass on Bertuzzi.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1

I would be ok with Marchessault, Duchesne, then Monahan. 

for the grinder, i'm very high on Domi and DeBrusk

add Toffoli to complete the top 6 and i would be ecstatic. 

on def : Tanev +  Zadorov + Myers 
with our Hughes, Soucy and Juulsen.

Identity switched to canadian. 

Demko + Silovs and we're set to another great run. 

2 hours ago, R3aL said:

He isn't a Boston type player, but he does have a scoring touch. He also has played very

well in the playoffs for the Bruins.  He plays a 2-way game and does have some push

back along the boards. 6'1 198lbs, but you won't see him fighting/hitting like Joshua.

He can play LW and RW.  He might blossom alongside Petey and he's still young

enough for the Canucks coaching team to make an impact on him. He shouldn't

be signed for much over 4m, as he hasn't stepped up his game in the past year.

I really like Duclair (RW) and think he would blossom with the Canucks. He's a great skater

and can be an effective offensively.  He's always played for bad teams; with the exceptions

of Fla and more recently TB.  Should be signed for under 4m.

Jonathan Marchessault would be fabulous, but probably above the Canucks cap.

3 hours ago, Shekky said:

Ive been trying to think of scorers that can level up into strong 2 way players, and both of these guys Im interested in.  If in talking to their agents both state they want to play and grow under Tocchett I would be stoked.  If not, Id pass.  Canucks finally have an identity and they should definitely stick w it.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Would be surprised to see Marchessault, Kane, or Duchene signing here. I could see Monahan or Stephenson though. 

Sprong would be intriguing, he's put up back to back 40+ point seasons, I'd be interested in Wennberg too. Domi could be interesting, but meh. Duclair could be interesting depending on his ask.

Pass on Bertuzzi.

I've always liked Marchessault, He's won a cup and brings that experience, I'd be happy if he signs 1-2 yrs max but he's 33, Don't know how much he has left and will be looking for a retirement contract.

4 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

I've always liked Marchessault, He's won a cup and brings that experience, I'd be happy if he signs 1-2 yrs max but he's 33, Don't know how much he has left and will be looking for a retirement contract.

He's interesting but I think he'd want too much money/term, I'm also not convinced that Vegas doesn't find a way although that looks more and more unlikely as time goes on.

He's earned his next deal, but I question how a 3-4 year deal would go and he could probably get that via UFA imo. Chicago could go after him for example, they probably wouldn't care about additional term too much.

Honestly, the Canucks might be better off going after less sexy options like Monahan and Duclair. Guentzel is absolutely high end, Marchessault and Kane are up there too, but the Canucks would probably be better served by depth than by being top heavy.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2024 at 11:20 PM, Coconuts said:

He's interesting but I think he'd want too much money/term, I'm also not convinced that Vegas doesn't find a way although that looks more and more unlikely as time goes on.

He's earned his next deal, but I question how a 3-4 year deal would go and he could probably get that via UFA imo. Chicago could go after him for example, they probably wouldn't care about additional term too much.

Honestly, the Canucks might be better off going after less sexy options like Monahan and Duclair. Guentzel is absolutely high end, Marchessault and Kane are up there too, but the Canucks would probably be better served by depth than by being top heavy.

I like Duclair. I think he can elevate his game in this team and system. Guentzel on the other hand, I don't think he can put up the same numbers anywhere. He already played with the best. Higher risk of overpaying for JG. (I'm prepared for counter arguments 🙂 )

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Bonkers said:

I like Duclair. I think he can elevate his game in this team and system. Guentzel on the other hand, I don't think he can put up the same numbers anywhere. He already played with the best. Higher risk of overpaying for JG. (I'm prepared for counter arguments 🙂 )

I think Duclair could be serviceable, he also brings a speed element. 

I didn't want Guentzel at the deadline, thought he'd cost too much, turns out I was wrong on that but the price was still probably more than we could afford. He's got a track record of producing and he fit in well while in Carolina, but I'd rather go after 2-3 good but not top end players than go after him. 

I Guentzel is gonna cost 8.5-9M+ than I'd rather see what Stephenson wants, I'd rather pay a player like him and have cap left over to allocate elsewhere. I don't think Duclair would cost a ton for example. 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2024 at 12:02 AM, Bonkers said:

I agree, Bonkers.  JG is going to want 9m + long term.  On the other hand, the team can pick

up players that have room for improvement; especially with the fantastic coaching staff.

Duclair, Heinen, (I'd love them to steal Foegle from Oils) and vets Martinook, Stephenson

Add Perron on 2yr term (placeholder for Lekky).

Duclair(3.5)  JT     Brock

Hogs    EP     Perron(4.5)

Heinen(2.2)   Suter   Garly --If they can't get Heinen, try for Mantinook(2.5)

Aman   Bluger(2.2)   Podz/Mik

DiGi

*Comes in under $50m without Mik's salary.

I suspect that one or all of Garly, Mik and Hronek might be traded, so that would

reduce the number of UFAs being signed.

• Like 2