Jason Krog hired as new skills coach

Trying to understand this one. He was a career AHL guy with a few stints in the NHL. What skills and skating is he going to be teaching our NHL players? I can understand him being tasked with helping our Abby players.

Hope this works out but I have my doubts.

• Like 1

Just now, RichterBelmont said:

Trying to understand this one. He was a career AHL guy with a few stints in the NHL. What skills and skating is he going to be teaching our NHL players? I can understand him being tasked with helping our Abby players.

... what about the guy he's replacing, who just got promoted?

2 minutes ago, RichterBelmont said:

all good points, I bet Yogi has mentored him, he has played in almost every league in the world, success in every league except NHL and he is a local guy.

Edited by canucks curse

3 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I find this to be a poor and short sighted take. Just because someone wasn't a superstar player doesn't mean they will make a poor coach. Ian Clarke never even made the NHL, does that mean he's a bad goalie coach? Someone who's more naturally or physically gifted doesn't mean they understand the game well. 

Where in my comment did I say he would be a poor coach? I was looking to understand this better. Instead of attacking my comment perhaps you could have provided some insight that I may be lacking?

I do appreciate your comment about Clarke as he is one of the best, as time has proven.

Am I not allowed to have doubts about a new hire with no previous track record?

Guess I will go back to just lurking and not contributing.

6 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I find this to be a poor and short sighted take. Just because someone wasn't a superstar player doesn't mean they will make a poor coach. Ian Clarke never even made the NHL, does that mean he's a bad goalie coach? Someone who's more naturally or physically gifted doesn't mean they understand the game well. 

Yeah I'd argue perhaps even the opposite... the naturally or physically gifted guy probably didn't need to work as hard to hone his craft to make it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RichterBelmont said:

Where in my comment did I say he would be a poor coach? I was looking to understand this better. Instead of attacking my comment perhaps you could have provided some insight that I may be lacking?

I do appreciate your comment about Clarke as he is one of the best, as time has proven.

Am I not allowed to have doubts about a new hire with no previous track record?

Guess I will go back to just lurking and not contributing.

It is a discussion board, seems reasonable to have a discussion.

I would agree athletic ability and coaching ability rarely align.  Work ethic and knowledge through experience cross over though.

• Cheers 3

For a split second, I read the thread title as Jason King haha. Good for Krog and welcome to the show!

Management has not given us any reason to doubt their assembling of a great coaching staff so I don’t know why anyone would start doubting them now 🙂

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I would say he has a lot to teach our players. Especially the younger guys trying to break into the league.

That's exactly what my comment mentions BTW. Thanks for your comment though. Hope you have a great day.

• Wiener 1

1 hour ago, MeanSeanBean said:

It's actually a solid take. Someone who doesn't have skills teaching NHL players top of the league high level skills? For goalie coach, what skills are involved? Positioning, timing, strategy, reaction speed, glove catching (all of which doesn't require the coach to be a master of it) vs stick handling, saucer passes, backhand, slap/wrist shots, skating, edgework (if the coach can't do it himself at a high level, we're to assume he can teach it at a high level?) 

Jason Crog

Krog, born in Fernie, British Columbia, played for the Chilliwack Chiefs before attending the University of New Hampshire. He spent four years there, winning the Hobey Baker from 1998 to 1999, and then got his shot at playing in the NHL by signing as an undrafted free agent with the New York Islanders.
Despite signing with the Islanders, Krog played just two NHL games with the club before moving on to the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, where he got his real shot. Krog played 147 games in his two seasons with Anaheim, totalling 43 points. But after the 2004-2005 lockout season, Krog played just 27 NHL games. It was the AHL where Krog turned into a star.

Krog played for the Chicago Wolves in the 2007-2008 season, helping them win the Calder Cup with 112 points in 80 games of the regular season and 36 points in their 24-game playoff run.
He carried over his success in the 2008-2009 season, finishing third across the entire AHL in points with 30 goals and 86 points in 74 games with the Manitoba Moose. His efforts earned him the AHL MVP this season, and he was rewarded with four games up with the big club, where he scored his last NHL goal of his career.
Since then, Krog has spent time coaching his son at the Burnaby Winter Club and leading the Canucks’ on-ice workouts at 8 Rinks in Burnaby for players that arrive early to prepare for the season.
Krog replaces Yogi Švejkovský, who was named the club’s Assistant coach last week after the Canucks and former assistant coach Mike Yeo couldn’t reach an agreement on a deal.

• Thanks 2

Wow. Haven't heard that name in a while.

One of those players who seemed miles ahead of other people in the AHL but couldn't make that last step to the NHL permanently no matter how many chances he was given.

Great hire for the Canucks.  I know the players really liked him. Even had a couple players from Team Canada before the world championship last year call him and ask to help them out before they went out there.  Myers was one of them for sure and maybe Dillon.