Jason Krog hired as new skills coach

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

It's actually a solid take. Someone who doesn't have skills teaching NHL players top of the league high level skills? For goalie coach, what skills are involved? Positioning, timing, strategy, reaction speed, glove catching (all of which doesn't require the coach to be a master of it) vs stick handling, saucer passes, backhand, slap/wrist shots, skating, edgework (if the coach can't do it himself at a high level, we're to assume he can teach it at a high level?) 

I think it is like musicians, the one that it comes naturally are often terrible teachers because things came natural to them. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Yet one of the best players in the NHL, Wayne Gretzky, had a Sub .500 coaching record over 4 years. With only one season above .500.

Scotty Bowman never got past juniors.

Sometimes you might not be great at one thing, but superior in others.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Yet one of the best players in the NHL, Wayne Gretzky, had a Sub .500 coaching record over 4 years. With only one season above .500.

Scotty Bowman never got past juniors.

Sometimes you might not be great at one thing, but superior in others.

The only really good coaches I can b think of who were also star players are Toe Blake and Larry Robinson.

4 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I find this to be a poor and short sighted take. Just because someone wasn't a superstar player doesn't mean they will make a poor coach. Ian Clarke never even made the NHL, does that mean he's a bad goalie coach? Someone who's more naturally or physically gifted doesn't mean they understand the game well. 

Agreed.....remember Gretz as Coyotes coach?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, RichterBelmont said:

Trying to understand this one. He was a career AHL guy with a few stints in the NHL. What skills and skating is he going to be teaching our NHL players? I can understand him being tasked with helping our Abby players.

Hope this works out but I have my doubts.

Hard to say. I trust this management team, they clearly know what they're doing. One thing to consider, is sometimes the best players are not good coaches, vice versa. Gretz was the best ever and not a great coach.

I actually think players who've had to fight their way in are better coaches because they never had the "natural" talent / skill so had to earn it....Skills coaches learn too, they spend their lives devoted to learning new techniques to help players, its not just hey, i'll show you how to stickhandle better.

7 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Is it now? Highest winning coach of all time is Scotty Bowman, isn't he? Peaked as a QPJHL player. Quenneville has a career high of 34 points. Trotz played 4 seasons in the WHL, Maurice had 4 in the OHL. Ruff had 2 seasons where he almost hit 50, but not quite. So 3 our of the top 5 most winning coaches of all time weren't even NHL caliber players, and the other 2 weren't world beaters 

In contrast the greatest hockey player of all time lasted just 4 seasons as a coach.

Yogi Svejkovsky, our previous skills coach had earned nothing but respect in the hockey community for his incredible grasp on skills and how to teach it. So much so it earned him a spot behind the bench beside Rick. Guy only played 113 games in the NHL, what a bum, am I right?

Just because someone doesn't have the physical gifts to play at the level of one of the top humans on the entire planet, doesn't mean they aren't a fantastic coach and don't have the ability to teach at a high level. There's literally a well known saying around this entire subject "those who can't do, teach" which comes from a quote from the great Aristotle who said "Those who can, do. Those who understand, teach."

I'm not saying Krog will be the greatest skills coach of all time, I don't have nearly enough information on him. But going in skeptical of his ability to coach because he wasn't an all-star caliber player is ridiculous. The guy played professional hockey for 24 years, which is more then Quenneville or Ruff for what it's worth.

It's a bad take, as is yours defending it.

Thanks... puts it into perspective...

On top of that, I doubt they just pluck Krog without having a clue, if he is actually good at, what he does... If anything they have been excellent at bring in the right staff, both on and off the ice... don't see why that would change. 

Think they definitely earned the benefit of doubt, before anyone starts to be concerned... 

6 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

I think it is like musicians, the one that it comes naturally are often terrible teachers because things came natural to them. 

This is definitely very true.... and understandable 

Jason krog... the name strikes some sort of memory that I just can't grasp. Like when you see someone you know in the street but can't place how you know them lol 

But anyways welcome to the team!

I remember watching Krog play in the old RMJHL as a 17 year old. It was pretty decent hockey and Krog was a standout playing for Creston. He has seen it all as far as hockey locales and one has to assume many different coaching styles. Even had some KHL games. Very fast and smooth skater. 

Good luck to Krog and welcome. 

21 hours ago, RichterBelmont said:

Where in my comment did I say he would be a poor coach? I was looking to understand this better. Instead of attacking my comment perhaps you could have provided some insight that I may be lacking?

I do appreciate your comment about Clarke as he is one of the best, as time has proven.

Am I not allowed to have doubts about a new hire with no previous track record?

Guess I will go back to just lurking and not contributing.

Head coach.. of course you can have doubts.

But a skills coach, is so far down the line. It's literally irrelevant on his past successes or failures.

Krog will grow into the position if that makes sense. It does sound like you're being pessimistic for the sake of being negative but you're right, you are entitled to your opinion 

10 hours ago, LionofJudah said:

Jason krog... the name strikes some sort of memory that I just can't grasp. Like when you see someone you know in the street but can't place how you know them lol 

But anyways welcome to the team!

He played on the ducks. Fringe NHLer.

Was great for the chilliwack chiefs.

Local kid. Good hire

A skills and skating coach huh. I totally recall this guy as an AHL'er called up to the big club at some point. He didn't leave much of an impression on me as I recall.

He obviously has some kind of talent in the field to which he was hired. He prolly had skills and could skate, but couldn't put it all together to stay in the NHL. Good on him, man. I hope he adds a dimension of skills needed to our players who could use his knowledge.

On 6/10/2024 at 11:58 AM, RichterBelmont said:

Trying to understand this one. He was a career AHL guy with a few stints in the NHL. What skills and skating is he going to be teaching our NHL players? I can understand him being tasked with helping our Abby players.

Hope this works out but I have my doubts.

You dont have to be better at something to be able to coach it or teach it

some coaches sucked at hockey

wayne gretzky sucked at coaching

• Like 1

On 6/10/2024 at 12:19 PM, DeNiro said:

He was a very skilled player who was undrafted and undersized yet managed to play over 200 NHL games including playing with the Ducks in the Stanley Cup finals in 2003.

I would say he has a lot to teach our players. Especially the younger guys trying to break into the league.

Might wanna do a little research on players before cutting them down.

Mic Drop GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

On 6/10/2024 at 1:55 PM, Drakrami said:

It's actually a solid take. Someone who doesn't have skills teaching NHL players top of the league high level skills? For goalie coach, what skills are involved? Positioning, timing, strategy, reaction speed, glove catching (all of which doesn't require the coach to be a master of it) vs stick handling, saucer passes, backhand, slap/wrist shots, skating, edgework (if the coach can't do it himself at a high level, we're to assume he can teach it at a high level?) 

How do you know there is no skills??????Nice comment btw about goalie coach.Looks like you have knowledge about both. What are you doing here.Go make some money.

Krog had been doing work with CBJ last year and they really wanted him back. They needed to move money around to make it work, but by the time they did Canucks came calling and Krog didn't want to wait any longer, plus being home helped for sure. CBJ was not happy about it