[Report] Jim Nill Wins General Manager Of The Year

Jim Nill Wins General Manager Of The Year Award

June 10th, 2024 at 7:24pm CST • By Josh Cybulski

The National Hockey League has announcedthat Dallas Stars general manager Jim Nill has won the 2023-24 Jim Gregory General Manager of the Year Award for the second consecutive season. The award is handed out annually and recognizes the efforts of the top general manager in the NHL. Nill joins New York Islanders general manager Lou Lamoriello as the only general manager to win the award on more than one occasion.

In his 11th season as general manager of Dallas, Nill continued to supplement the Stars’ excellent drafting and development by signing Matt Duchene to a one-year $3MM deal that turned out to be a bargain as Duchene posted 25 goals and 40 assists in 80 games. Nill also signed Sam Steel to a bargain deal and traded for Chris Tanev at the trade deadline. Nill has had a massive role in Dallas building one of the deepest cores of young players in the NHL by drafting forwards Jason Robertson and Wyatt Johnston, while also selecting defenseman Miro Heiskanen and netminder Jake Oettinger.

The Stars lost in the Western Conference Finals to the Edmonton Oilers after they had posted 113 points in the regular season, one point shy of the New York Rangers who captured the President’s Trophy. It was the second consecutive season that the Stars lost in the Western Conference Final, and it was the third time they’ve advanced that far in the past five years.

Nill was also recently named as an assistant general manager of Canada’s Men’s Olympic Team for the 2026 Olympics as well as an associate general manager for Canada’s team in the 4 Nations Face-Off next February.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/06/jim-nill-wins-general-manager-of-the-year.html#ref=home

Edited by RWJC
  • Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So are they giving it to him for drafting?

What were his big moves exactly? Signing Duchene? 🤣

Updated content which gives some rationale, I suppose 

7 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Updated content which gives some rationale, I suppose 

PA was literally making all the trades in the league when no one else could.

He completely rebuilt the D and the bottom 6. Got Petey signed when no one thought he could.

• Cheers 2

PA was the man this year. Nobody could make moves all year unless he was involved. 
He found ways to make things happen on cap strapped team when almost nobody could. Amazing what he did.

Hopefully a meaningful step forward not a 1 year sugar rush. 

• Cheers 2

Yeah, that was robbery. Is it simply because Dallas went to conference finals, at which point decisions are made? There’s no way that our GM shouldn’t have won this one.

• Cheers 2

lol pa was not “robbed”.. he made 4 moves this season.. zadorov was average during the season great in the playoff and lindholm irrelevant in the season and great in the playoff.. his other moves Cole was irrelevant and during the playoff had a oilers jersey on his back.. soucy was injured most of the season. Hronek was last season move.. doesn’t even count for this season. I think the biggest knock on PA would be his inability to get a top 6 when he it’s so clear we needed one desperately..

Dallas on the other hand didn’t do much.. but they made the 1 move that had the biggest impact of any team. Tanev literally shut Vegas down followed by shutting mackinnon down and then was shutting Edmonton until his injury. So impact wise I think Dallas was more impactful to the team as a whole regular season and playoff. Regular season wise then yes PA made the biggest impact. 

When the league had 4 trades PA made like 3 of them. Turned our embarrassment of a blueline into a playoff blueline. I think he deserves more credit for this team's turnaround than Tocchet, and Tocchet won coach of the year. But I think PA doesn't get credit cause many, including Canucks fans, give Rutherford a lot of credit for moves. The narrative alone likely hurt his case.

Literally won the award making the one trade for Tanev. 

Guess they penalized PA for not making wcf. PA was robbed big time here. 

Edited by 24K

2 hours ago, Slegr said:

Yeah, that was robbery. Is it simply because Dallas went to conference finals, at which point decisions are made? There’s no way that our GM shouldn’t have won this one.

You nailed it. Also probably the other gms don't want to give essentially a rookie the award that will make them look bad. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The votes are counted before the playoffs begin. 

Not for the gm award. That is voted on after round 2.

• Thanks 2

The upper brass now know how much respect Vancouver gets in the league.  That's okay, PA wants results, not a paperweight in his office.  Not to mention he's likely got everyone's respect regardless of who won that award.  I hope he takes that snub and kills it in the offseason.

13 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

When the league had 4 trades PA made like 3 of them. Turned our embarrassment of a blueline into a playoff blueline. I think he deserves more credit for this team's turnaround than Tocchet, and Tocchet won coach of the year. But I think PA doesn't get credit cause many, including Canucks fans, give Rutherford a lot of credit for moves. The narrative alone likely hurt his case.

When that many guys have career or close to career years it's coaching.   

• Cheers 1