[Speculation] Canucks will pursue D Jalen Chatfield if he goes unsigned by CAR

38 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Chatfield is a very serviceable 3rd pairing defenseman. But why are so many people overrating him?

This season he averaged 15:12/game which was a career high. Yes, in the playoffs this year he averaged 20:12/game but that doesn't tell the full story. Carolina played a number of OT games and Pesce was injured for most of their run. Chatfield's 20min/game still ranked 5th among Carolina's defensemen with only DeAngelo playing less.

His physicality and PK ability are also being overblown. They aren't non-existent, but he averages around 1 hit/game and averages less than 1min/game on the PK. This is not a player who's replacing Myers' 2+min/game on the PK let alone getting paired with Hughes.

Chatfield is a serviceable defenseman and for $1-2M he would be an upgrade on Juulsen. If we're throwing $3M+ at him we should be looking elsewhere.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Now if we are trading for Forsling instead,  that is a totally different situation. Chatfield on a healthy club is 3rd pairing at best, and more likely a 7th-8th depth defenceman. He is a marginal upgrade on Juulsen, as Juulsen hit me this year when he played. Out of all the available dmen in Carolina,  I would rather throw money at Pesce if we have enough to get it done

I wouldnt be surprised at all if under Tocchett/Foote Jalen can play in the top 4.  Chatfield would suit the system very well.  He’s athletic, battles hard and can skate/make a good first pass.  

18 minutes ago, BTueyCanucksFan said:

Couldn't have said it better myself. Now if we are trading for Forsling instead,  that is a totally different situation. Chatfield on a healthy club is 3rd pairing at best, and more likely a 7th-8th depth defenceman. He is a marginal upgrade on Juulsen, as Juulsen hit me this year when he played. Out of all the available dmen in Carolina,  I would rather throw money at Pesce if we have enough to get it done

How many Carolina games have you watched the last two seasons and this playoffs?

just curious 

8 minutes ago, R3aL said:

How many Carolina games have you watched the last two seasons and this playoffs?

just curious 

I have watched a couple but not many to be honest. When he was here last time, he struggled to make our lineup as a regular. I did not see much potential at the time. How much of that was the fault of Baumgartner and Green,  I don't know. Haven't really followed him lately aside from these playoffs. Don't get me strong he has played very well and has risen to the occasion with Pesce's injury. But, I would need to see multiple seasons of this effort out of him to jump on his bandwagon. That said, if Tocchet and his staff have decided that they can work with him and get more out of him, then I can get behind that. But I would rather see guys like Woo and Hirose get that opportunity first. Woo especially bought into what Tocchet and his staff were teaching him this year

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, R3aL said:

He can def skate, play the body and he clearly thrives in systems play.

so maybe. He did show he can elevate in the playoffs too.

he’s def interesting to me but again he’s RHD who will get paid so what his term and $$ amount is super interesting 

he does keep getting better too. 

Maybe a 3 year 3 million a year gets it done. Might be a little high on the dollars. However if you intend on sticking him with Hughes and think he can stay there and give you 19+ minutes a night that’s good value! 

16 hours ago, canucks curse said:

Get ready for 

Dillon 3.25x3

Chatty 2.75x 4

Myers 2.75x 3

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Dillon/Zadorov-Chatfield

Would be a pretty stellar d group imo.

Dillon-Chatfield could even be a stronger pairing that Soucy-Myers not hard to project that.

But I think Chatifeld signs for more that what you have put. But if he could be had sub 3 I think that is a guy we target 10000%.

5 hours ago, fuzzy said:

Imo, Myers was on the pk because he was the best of bad options. 2 years ago the pk was historically  bad. Last year it was improved but still middle of the pack.  To get better results we need better players and that includes an upgrade on Myers.

Sure then we should be looking at ridding and replacing Cole which we are and if soucy have another injury riddled season you can move him. Zadorov is only the 3rd option on pk I’m going to guess hronek was 2nd and if we are looking to move hronek then u need to not only replace Myers u need to replace hronek 1 player ain’t replacing 2 pkers min. Soucy is unreliable and frankly wasn’t all that good in the playoff. So who you have in mind in that can be in the top 4 eat up top pk min only cost 5 mil

IF management has to decide between:

Zadorov-Juulsen/UFA

UFA/Juulsen

vs

Dillon-Chatfield

Juulsen

And the total dollars for that total pairing and our extra dman = the same or close what would you all prefer?

As much as love Big Z I do think a Dillon-Chatfield pairing would be hard to play against and still have edge.

I wasn't loving Big Z - Juulsen as a pairing and thought it limited big z upside.

So if we commit 5-6M to Z that means his RHD partner is going to be a sub $1M player. I dont think we can resign Zadorov, Hronek, Myers and add Chatfield

So budgeting 6-8Million for dmen 5-7 seems about right?

I also think it opens up the possibility to run situationally:

Hughes-Chatfield

Dillon-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Whereas when we have Zadorov-Juulsen the pairings are a bit more awkward if you want to split Hughes-Hronek up at times. Which Alvin has said he wants to see more of to get more out of Hronek.

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

He'd be an interesting add but I'd be a bit surprised if Carolina doesn't find a way to retain him, his game has really flourished on that team. 

Carolina is such a weird team they are full of surprises!

With who they trade for, who they sign, who they offer sheet, who they let walk.

Even Kuznetsov signing was a big surprise for me.

There's a path they take a big step back next season losing so many key players / contributors and dont replace them let alone upgrade things.

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

Carolina is such a weird team they are full of surprises!

With who they trade for, who they sign, who they offer sheet, who they let walk.

Even Kuznetsov signing was a big surprise for me.

There's a path they take a big step back next season losing so many key players / contributors and dont replace them let alone upgrade things.

They can be pretty ruthless, but they've also had a good run of being a top team despite their lack of a cup win. Kuznetsov was a surprise, but it's also a low commitment move given there was salary retained and that his deal will be up after next season. 

They're rather bullish on not giving older guys extensive term, and really, that's an approach I agree with. Sometimes there's no avoiding it, but by and large I think it's something that should be avoided. 

Carolina's a weird team in that pretty much their entire defense is currently in flux, Morrow is the only D signed beyond next season. Skjei will likly be retained, Slavin too. Burns will be up after next season, maybe he gets extended but it's hard to say. 

Morrow likely gets a bigger role this season, but with much of their RD in flux it makes sense for them to retain Chatfield as a safety valve. 

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, gwarrior said:

So if we can't land Tanev, he's the back up plan if he gets to July 1. I'm down.

I remember earlier on in his career, some of us hyped him up to be the next Chris Tanev. I am glad he is getting closer to that potential as he progress in his career. If we can bring him back and recoup on what we lost, that would be good too.

15 hours ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

1Vv.gif.461bc304e6b363ce94ff3dfd56eeffde.gif     Hmmmm....... how about we just bring Forsling back instead??

He is signed for 8 years in Florida at $5.75 million caphit (a steal), we aren't getting him back.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

650 guys talk about us clearing cap and Garland’s name always comes up. Hogs can replace Garland. Saves up 4 mil per. 

True but come playoffs I think Garland way out plays Hogs.

Garland might be to n the move but we will need someone back that's a hard nosed player.That costs money.

18 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

They can be pretty ruthless, but they've also had a good run of being a top team despite their lack of a cup win. Kuznetsov was a surprise, but it's also a low commitment move given there was salary retained and that his deal will be up after next season. 

They're rather bullish on not giving older guys extensive term, and really, that's an approach I agree with. Sometimes there's no avoiding it, but by and large I think it's something that should be avoided. 

Carolina's a weird team in that pretty much their entire defense is currently in flux, Morrow is the only D signed beyond next season. Skjei will likly be retained, Slavin too. Burns will be up after next season, maybe he gets extended but it's hard to say. 

Morrow likely gets a bigger role this season, but with much of their RD in flux it makes sense for them to retain Chatfield as a safety valve. 

Once teams start resigning guys before July 1 we will get a better idea for sure

morrow I’m so interested to see how he does next year since he’s been a guy we’ve heard in high regards in so many trade packages over the years lol

32 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

He'd be an interesting add but I'd be a bit surprised if Carolina doesn't find a way to retain him, his game has really flourished on that team. 

Carolina has money issues not necessarily cap issues 

1 hour ago, cripplereh said:

True but come playoffs I think Garland way out plays Hogs.

Garland might be to n the move but we will need someone back that's a hard nosed player.That costs money.

Might be but IMHAO we move Garland to clear his cap. The we go after a free agent, like Guentzel, who is a top six winger. 

5 hours ago, R3aL said:

just curious 

I've watched quite a few as they're my backup team to the Canucks.  He's 5-6-7 dman........definitely not worth overpaying for, imo

10 hours ago, canucks curse said:

Yes both were pretty young/ new to nhl when we let them go 

Yeah. Not to mention McCann, who would be a good fit in the top 6 right now instead of Suter and Mikheyev.

16 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Funny we could have had Chatfield and Forsling on this blueline, maybe we shouldn't give up on our own young players so soon - especially defencemen who take longer to develop?

That being said they're both fairly small and we do need size now. Not sure Chatfield is good enough unless we expect Myers to be our 2RD.

Every team in the league had a chance at both players when they were both waived in 2021.

4 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Every team in the league had a chance at both players when they were both waived in 2021.

Every team also has a long list of players they gave up on.

Verhaege and Joshua were drafted by the Leafs. Two players they could desperately use right now.

18 hours ago, R3aL said:

Once teams start resigning guys before July 1 we will get a better idea for sure

morrow I’m so interested to see how he does next year since he’s been a guy we’ve heard in high regards in so many trade packages over the years lol

Definitely, I've included him in proposals in the past, haha. 

17 hours ago, canucks curse said:

Carolina has money issues not necessarily cap issues 

Mmmm, I don't even know if that's necessarily true. Once upon a time the Canes had an internal cap if I remember correctly, but Dundon is a billionaire even if the Canes are a team who are generally unwilling to overpay players, or give older players big money/extensive term. I don't think it's so much money issues so much as it's the Canes having an overly involved owner. 

Even with their recent GM search, I read rumblings that folks weren't necessarily interested in the GM job because it wasn't going to be more of a traditional GM job. Waddell jumped from Carolina to Columbus, taking on the same role, but he'll presumably have more autonomy in Columbus. 

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Definitely, I've included him in proposals in the past, haha. 

Mmmm, I don't even know if that's necessarily true. Once upon a time the Canes had an internal cap if I remember correctly, but Dundon is a billionaire even if the Canes are a team who are generally unwilling to overpay players, or give older players big money/extensive term. I don't think it's so much money issues so much as it's the Canes having an overly involved owner. 

Even with their recent GM search, I read rumblings that folks weren't necessarily interested in the GM job because it wasn't going to be more of a traditional GM job. Waddell jumped from Carolina to Columbus, taking on the same role, but he'll presumably have more autonomy in Columbus. 

Interesting. I hadn’t heard about the relationship/over-involvement of owner Dundon before. I’d only heard Waddell’s deal was set to expire and Carolina was ready to move on to the heir apparent Tulsky and so granted Waddell permission to speak with teams early. No reason it can’t be a bit of both and the latter is the more “feel good” story. 

This just reminds me how thankful I am to be now that we have excellent management and an owner that’s finally willing to butt-out (for now).