[Speculation] Canucks will pursue D Jalen Chatfield if he goes unsigned by CAR

Oh man, this would actually be a slick move if they want to save some dollars, and get a guy that fills an important role in the lineup. I like Daniel Sprong too for precisely the same reason, in that he is a budget player who Petey can get the puck to. Jimmy drafted him in Pittsburgh, so if anyone had the book on Sprong, I guess it would be him!

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Looks good except Garland will be moved to clear his five mil per off the books. Mik will stay. 

After last season and playoffs I highly doubt Garland gets moved.If so means there's a bigger deal coming as he played like a 6 plus mill player and makes our third line go.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Could Chatfield play responsible D on a pairing with Hughes? Give him some term and if he can hang that’s a cheap solution for awhile! 

He can def skate, play the body and he clearly thrives in systems play.

so maybe. He did show he can elevate in the playoffs too.

he’s def interesting to me but again he’s RHD who will get paid so what his term and $$ amount is super interesting 

he does keep getting better too. 

Funny we could have had Chatfield and Forsling on this blueline, maybe we shouldn't give up on our own young players so soon - especially defencemen who take longer to develop?

That being said they're both fairly small and we do need size now. Not sure Chatfield is good enough unless we expect Myers to be our 2RD.

5 hours ago, cripplereh said:

After last season and playoffs I highly doubt Garland gets moved.If so means there's a bigger deal coming as he played like a 6 plus mill player and makes our third line go.

650 guys talk about us clearing cap and Garland’s name always comes up. Hogs can replace Garland. Saves up 4 mil per. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Need RHD. Better than Myers. 
Would be good add. 
Solid PKer. 

Sure sounds like Myers will be back. As a bottom pair guy he’s good. 
Hronek

?????

Myers

Not too sure that second pairing guy would be though?

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sure sounds like Myers will be back. As a bottom pair guy he’s good. 
Hronek

?????

Myers

Not too sure that second pairing guy would be though?

That should look more like 

Hronek

???

Juulsen.   He earned the 3rd pairing spot and is doing it for well under $1M. I wouldn’t pay $3M to Myers to fill the same spot, we need a second pairing right D not 2 3rds. 

12 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

That should look more like 

Hronek

???

Juulsen.   He earned the 3rd pairing spot and is doing it for well under $1M. I wouldn’t pay $3M to Myers to fill the same spot, we need a second pairing right D not 2 3rds. 

Myers at 3 mil is way better than Juulsson. Juulsson is not an nhl regular on a good club. He’s  a 7.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Myers at 3 mil is way better than Juulsson. Juulsson is not an nhl regular on a good club. He’s  a 7.

Would rather have Juulsen and 2M more to spend on getting a decent second pairing guy than pay Myers $3M and having to play him up on second pairing since you can’t afford better. 
Myers was better this year because his minutes were much more limited and better partners and system. He is a declining asset and is just getting older. Still terribly erratic player. Push him back into second pairing role seems like poor plan. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Would I like us to sign Chatfield if he can be had for a reasonable price? Like all of you and most GMs - absolutely. 

But, I doubt we’re able to land him and if we do it will be at his UFA fair market value. He’s not signing a discount to come back. By all accounts from the Carolina broadcasters and local writers, Carolina is pretty high on Chatfield and is largely the reason that Pesce became expendable.

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Would rather have Juulsen and 2M more to spend on getting a decent second pairing guy than pay Myers $3M and having to play him up on second pairing since you can’t afford better. 
Myers was better this year because his minutes were much more limited and better partners and system. He is a declining asset and is just getting older. Still terribly erratic player. Push him back into second pairing role seems like poor plan. 

All good points but the club is rumoured to have a number already for Myers (around 3 per) so he will be back. Soucy Myers is an excellent pairing. Juulsson is still on the roster; he’s a very good and cheap 7. 

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Funny we could have had Chatfield and Forsling on this blueline, maybe we shouldn't give up on our own young players so soon - especially defencemen who take longer to develop?

That being said they're both fairly small and we do need size now. Not sure Chatfield is good enough unless we expect Myers to be our 2RD.

Yes both were pretty young/ new to nhl when we let them go 

36 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Agreed. Myers is fools gold right now. I doubt he can repeat this past year. I would only bring him back if it was cheap.  Keeping Hronek and signing Chatfield would improve our right side.

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Benning the moran 

He certainly did not know how to manage assets-he reminded me of a a dog chasing cars…

draft Mcann- rush him- he starts to look better - trade him and a 2nd for Gudbranson - the guy can’t play - oops!

tradr forsling for a guy slightly more along in developing but an organization is giving up on him- clendening can’t play ? Oooops again !

trade more picks !!!

• ThereItIs 1

48 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Myers maybe playing on the “3rd pairing” but he isn’t necessary a 3rd pairing.. 3rd pairing defenceman don’t play 19mins a night. He’s like option number 1 on the pk.. and in defensive situation.. a bottom pairing defenseman usually averages 15-17mins.. juulsen ain’t playing 19 a night. So who’s eating up the extra? Hughes? He’s doing to start playing pk?

• Cheers 2

57 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

He certainly did not know how to manage assets-he reminded me of a a dog chasing cars…

draft Mcann- rush him- he starts to look better - trade him and a 2nd for Gudbranson - the guy can’t play - oops!

tradr forsling for a guy slightly more along in developing but an organization is giving up on him- clendening can’t play ? Oooops again !

trade more picks !!!

Development (or lack there of) was the big failure for Benning unfortunately. Clear sign when NHLers and prospects go elsewhere and succeed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

Myers maybe playing on the “3rd pairing” but he isn’t necessary a 3rd pairing.. 3rd pairing defenceman don’t play 19mins a night. He’s like option number 1 on the pk.. and in defensive situation.. a bottom pairing defenseman usually averages 15-17mins.. juulsen ain’t playing 19 a night. So who’s eating up the extra? Hughes? He’s doing to start playing pk?

Imo, Myers was on the pk because he was the best of bad options. 2 years ago the pk was historically  bad. Last year it was improved but still middle of the pack.  To get better results we need better players and that includes an upgrade on Myers.

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

That is where the first sentence I wrote is pertinent. The one where we would have an extra $2M to spend on actual second pairing D man would come in handy. 

Chatfield is a very serviceable 3rd pairing defenseman. But why are so many people overrating him?

This season he averaged 15:12/game which was a career high. Yes, in the playoffs this year he averaged 20:12/game but that doesn't tell the full story. Carolina played a number of OT games and Pesce was injured for most of their run. Chatfield's 20min/game still ranked 5th among Carolina's defensemen with only DeAngelo playing less.

His physicality and PK ability are also being overblown. They aren't non-existent, but he averages around 1 hit/game and averages less than 1min/game on the PK. This is not a player who's replacing Myers' 2+min/game on the PK let alone getting paired with Hughes.

Chatfield is a serviceable defenseman and for $1-2M he would be an upgrade on Juulsen. If we're throwing $3M+ at him we should be looking elsewhere.

• Cheers 2