[Proposal] Forwards no one is talking about for the Canucks

Alot of talk of re-signing Lindholm, Guentzel, and our UFA's but there are some pretty good players out there we may be able to get for cheaper who could provide the scoring we need.

I am not a fan of re-signing Lindholm for even 7x7 and have made posts elsewhere as to why, I just think we need an elite winger for Petey, not a redundant C who's going to make more money than his production merits (no matter how good he is at the "little things".

Players off the Canucks fan radar that I think could really help us, and allow us to keep players like big Z and Blueger (probably have to rid ourselves of Mik and probably lose Joshua). But what about players like Patrick Kane (could he be convinced?) Imagine him and Petey and our PP?

Sean Monohan is another who comes to mind. Gives us a 3c who can score, who's contract isn't killer, and who's pretty good 2 ways. He's also good enough offensively to step up into a top 6 C role if one of Petey or Miller is hurt / slumping. Bleuger can the slide into a 4c role. We are still very strong down the middle this way.

Who are some of the other players we could go after that won't break the bank and are cost effective for their roles up front? Toffoli concerns me due to lack of speed and age.

Kane 2 x $6 (cheaper than Guentzel and probably just as effective, and a bridge to Lekkermaki). Imagine the impact on the team from a leadership and excitement perspective. Kaner and Hughes on the same PP? My god...and Acqua man would love the buzz for ticket sales.

Monohan  4 x $5 mil. Cheaper than Lindholm and just came of a great rebound season of 60pts. Would be an excellent part of a second PP as well

Edited by ArmchairGM22
  • Like 1

Who cares if Kane can get over it, I can’t. Fuck that deal. 
Monohan I wouldn’t mind bringing in to 3rd line but wouldn’t give him more than 2 years. Cant trust his health even though he is surprisingly young. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I can see why VAN would want Guentzel, having had two 40-goal seasons and a 36 goal season, several 20+ seasons. Sure he played with Crosby, but now he could be playing with Pettersson. Those two together could create a lot of damage. I am curious, though, about Guentzel's injury history. He's missed quite a few games since 2019. Is this a concern?

Reinhart would be great, but he'll be very expensive after he wins the Cup. 🤗 Canucks can't afford him. 

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Who cares if Kane can get over it, I can’t. Fuck that deal. 
Monohan I wouldn’t mind bringing in to 3rd line but wouldn’t give him more than 2 years. Cant trust his health even though he is surprisingly young. 

Over what? Passing on an elite ppg player because your feelings are hurt that they beat us for a few years? Sounds like a good strategy for winning

• Wiener 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Alflives said:

A lot of us say no to MonNohands and Kaner. Zero chance JR/PA have any interest in either player. 

According to whom?

And looking at Monohan's numbers it seems now that his back issues are behind him, his game is coming back to form.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=130620

Edited by ArmchairGM22

4 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

According to whom?

And looking at Monohan's numbers it seems now that his back issues are behind him, his game is coming back to form.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=130620

MonNohands is a left shot centre who is over 60% O Zone starts. He’s not the type of centre we need for our third line. IMHAO not a lot of good in him for what we need. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

Alot of talk of re-signing Lindholm, Guentzel, and our UFA's but there are some pretty good players out there we may be able to get for cheaper who could provide the scoring we need.

I am not a fan of re-signing Lindholm for even 7x7 and have made posts elsewhere as to why, I just think we need an elite winger for Petey, not a redundant C who's going to make more money than his production merits (no matter how good he is at the "little things".

Players off the Canucks fan radar that I think could really help us, and allow us to keep players like big Z and Blueger (probably have to rid ourselves of Mik and probably lose Joshua). But what about players like Patrick Kane (could he be convinced?) Imagine him and Petey and our PP?

Sean Monohan is another who comes to mind. Gives us a 3c who can score, who's contract isn't killer, and who's pretty good 2 ways. He's also good enough offensively to step up into a top 6 C role if one of Petey or Miller is hurt / slumping. Bleuger can the slide into a 4c role. We are still very strong down the middle this way.

Who are some of the other players we could go after that won't break the bank and are cost effective for their roles up front? Toffoli concerns me due to lack of speed and age.

Kane 2 x $6 (cheaper than Guentzel and probably just as effective, and a bridge to Lekkermaki). Imagine the impact on the team from a leadership and excitement perspective. Kaner and Hughes on the same PP? My god...and Acqua man would love the buzz for ticket sales.

Monohan  4 x $5 mil. Cheaper than Lindholm and just came of a great rebound season of 60pts. Would be an excellent part of a second PP as well

The guys Id focus on are:

- Duclair

- Toffoli

- Bluegar (still underrated as a 3C)

- Dillon

- Stephenson if we want an upgrade at 3c

• Like 3
  • ThereItIs 1

Monahan, 29, between Montreal and Winnipeg went 26-33-59 in 83 games last year.  He's a UFA and just wrapped a 1 year, $2M contract.

He deserves more than another 1 year contract but how long?  I wonder what he would sign for?  2 or 3 x $3.5-4.0M?

I could live with that for cap and term reasons over 7 x too much $ for 29 year old Lindholm.

Besides, wouldn't it be fun to ice Monahan against Calgary?

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Agreed with HarbularyBattery on Stephenson, if VGK is letting him go and he costs the same as Monahan then I'd rather go for him for the durability and versatility.

Other guys who I'd want us to go for would include Kevin Labanc and Victor Olofsson, I think he can be a Robby Fabbri-esque buy-low guy who's got some offensive game.  Ship Mikheyev out for a pick, then pick them up and buy-low and see if we can work them up to have some value.  For an in-house guy, I'd want us to give Podkolzin more of a chance with Garland esp. if Joshua leaves.  

Lastly, for bottom-6 guys I'd say go for Wennberg and bring back Motte.

Edited by Phil_314
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Agreed with HarbularyBattery on Stephenson, if VGK is letting him go and he costs the same as Monahan then I'd rather go for him for the durability and versatility.

Other guys who I'd want us to go for would include Kevin Labanc and Victor Olofsson, I think he can be a Robby Fabbri-esque buy-low guy who's got some offensive game.  Ship Mikheyev out for a pick, then pick them up and buy-low and see if we can work them up to have some value.  For an in-house guy, I'd want us to give Podkolzin more of a chance with Garland esp. if Joshua leaves.  

Lastly, for bottom-6 guys I'd say go for Wennberg and bring back Motte.

I like Stephenson too but he's primarily been a winger in Vegas, not a center. He's not an elite winger so I don't think he moves the needle for us enough and unproven at center. This is why I prefer Monohan.

As a guy I could see being the next “diamond in the rough” is kapanen

has shown he has the ability to score, kill penalties and can provide speed 

would come cheap around a million I bet 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

I like Stephenson too but he's primarily been a winger in Vegas, not a center. He's not an elite winger so I don't think he moves the needle for us enough and unproven at center. This is why I prefer Monohan.

That's incorrect.  He took an average of 14 draws a night, and won 52.6% of them.  In terms of draws per game, while he's not Crosby who's at north of 20 draws per night, he's also in the same range as Eichel and Karlsson who each take 14 per night (JT Miller takes 18 by comparison).  At worst he can hold his own amongst other "actual" C's.  

16 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Monahan, 29, between Montreal and Winnipeg went 26-33-59 in 83 games last year.  He's a UFA and just wrapped a 1 year, $2M contract.

He deserves more than another 1 year contract but how long?  I wonder what he would sign for?  2 or 3 x $3.5-4.0M?

I could live with that for cap and term reasons over 7 x too much $ for 29 year old Lindholm.

Besides, wouldn't it be fun to ice Monahan against Calgary?

It's a bit hilarious that DJ is going to get 4 x 3 or something in Detroit, yet a  guy who  had a history of 30-30 or so, is begging for work at 2 million for one year.   Soft,  charmin.    Center.   I'm not sure.   Maybe Tochett could get him to be a man?   

23 hours ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

Not sure about Monahan... 4x$5M if he doesn't work out he'd be an anchor... However the Kane deal until Lekkerimaki is ready could be good.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Billabong said:

As a guy I could see being the next “diamond in the rough” is kapanen

has shown he has the ability to score, kill penalties and can provide speed 

would come cheap around a million I bet 

Wasn't Kapanen JR's first draft pick (PIT) in 2014?  I could see them being interested.

• Like 1

Patrik Laine is looking for a new start… this may be a perfecf opportunity to buy low on a former 40 goal scorer who is still in his prime and has very little term which makes him moveable if it doesnt work out.

8.7mil 2 years remaining

If Zadorov’s price is too much…

Laine+Gudbranson+2nd for Hronek+Mik

As much as people will probably laugh at the idea of Gudbranson coming back… he had a very good season on a terrible CBJ team. Provides a RHS on the back end, a big winger for Petey who may very well resurrect his career.

i have a hard time gauging fair value in this proposal because Laine is an unknown right now and clearly theres some risk with taking him on, Gudbranson I feel in our system under this coaching staff he may have a big impact on the blueline with his physicality and willingness to block shots.

14 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Patrik Laine is looking for a new start… this may be a perfecf opportunity to buy low on a former 40 goal scorer who is still in his prime and has very little term which makes him moveable if it doesnt work out.

8.7mil 2 years remaining

If Zadorov’s price is too much…

Laine+Gudbranson+2nd for Hronek+Mik

As much as people will probably laugh at the idea of Gudbranson coming back… he had a very good season on a terrible CBJ team. Provides a RHS on the back end, a big winger for Petey who may very well resurrect his career.

i have a hard time gauging fair value in this proposal because Laine is an unknown right now and clearly theres some risk with taking him on, Gudbranson I feel in our system under this coaching staff he may have a big impact on the blueline with his physicality and willingness to block shots.

At 8.7m, we would need Laine to show up for a pretty guaranteed 35 goals, I don't think its a feasible risk for us to take